What are you playing now?

Darque

I've been playing the Tabula Rasa closed beta the last few days and I regret to inform you all that it sucks. Bigtime.

The game is supposed to be a ground-breaking innovation in MMORPG that's "breaking the mould of MMORPG's". It isn't and it doesn't.

First of all: the combat. You're a newly trained space marine, dragged into a full-scale war. You're dropped into the frontlines of a battle on some generic planet and you go through a very short and basic tutorial. When you're done, you're supposed to cross a small bridge and some aliens materialize in front of you. Since you have ranged weapons and ordinary FPS controls, and the combat plays out in real-time, you'll do what you always do: shoot and strafe to avoid their shots.. but it doesn't work. You can (probably) miss so strafing lessens your own chance of hitting, but you can never avoid any incoming fire. If you strafe to avoid a rocket, the rocket will inexplicably twist in mid-air and hit you anyhow. The game is said to be about player skills, but it really isn't. You can never strafe to avoid anything since the game decides if you've been hit or not. Same with aiming yourself: even if you hit dead on, the game might still decide that you've missed. Unbelievably bad system.

Second: quests. If you enjoy doing really unmotivated fed-ex quests then Tabula Rasa is for you. Out of the first 20 quests I did, 10-15 were pure fed-ex. "Bring me 8 DNA samples", "Bring me 5 boar tusks", "Bring me 58 space pig penises" and so on. The rest of the quest were "Something is wrong in camp A, you'd better report there. It's serious". Then when you got to camp A after getting lost in the generic looking graphics of the gameworld, they'd be like "Oh, this is serious. You'd better report back immediately". No twist, no combat, no nothing. Horrible.

Third: the equipment. Never in my life have I seen such uninspired equipment in a game! You start out with some no-name pistol and/or rifle. Not so bad. Then you notice your armour: generic armour piece v.1. "v.1?" you think and continue playing. Then, on the body of one of the space pigs which you've just shot in the head 15 times straight on (to which the game has responded "you hit five times!!"), you'll find generic armour piece v.2, which is ever so slightly better than the one you have with the exact same name, except v.2... Yes, they were actually so lazy that they didn't bother to come up with original names for their equipment and instead added version numbers on them! I think I got up to version 8 on my best piece of equipment before I uninstalled the beta.. still with the same name.

I'm so disappointed. The setting isn't half bad and it's a breath of fresh air to fight aliens instead of orcs. But it's so generic, and when you've made a point of NOT being generic and actually call yourself "innovative", it's twice as bad. Richard Garriott, how you have fallen :thumbsup:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The Thing is one of the better survival horror games I've ever played. I'd rank it 2nd only after Resident Evil 4.

I loved the squad, morale and trust mechanics in the game. Give buddies a big gun and they would trust you more. Take their gun away and they would curse at you. Take the squad into a disgusting room with blood, guts n' bodies and they would freak out, vomiting and possibly really losing it, firing all over the room.

My biggest complaint about The Thing is the complete uselessness of the test kit. You are able to walk up to squad mates, draw some blood and see if they were infected. Unfortunatly, it almost never worked. I've recieved clean tests from squad mates, literally seconds before they become the thing and attack.

The test kit is only there if you really want to make it harder for yourself. At some parts of the game, you can punitively launch nearly everyone in you team into thing-rage. Everyone's going to turn anyway, so why bother, but this makes the game incredibly harder. It doesn't always work though.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Right, NWN 2 playthrough as a Warlock is a-go!

MUhaahhahahhahhaa!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Painkiller!

Actually quite fun. But not one of those games that engrosses me. I'll probably be playing it off and on for a while with other games here and there or until one game in particular grabs me for a period. Deus Ex might be the perfect example as I'm dying to give it a replay.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've been playing a lot of Crackdown lately. I don't think I play it like a normal person. My entire goal is to look for shiny orbs in hard to reach places. I don't care about cars, killing gangsters, or winning races. I usually only kill a boss if I think it will make it easier to collect orbs. It's cool though, I can jump like the frickin' Hulk.

It really is a rather masterful game. I suppose the combat is too easy for most folks, but considering that's not why I play it, it's probably better that way for me. The cell shading is unique and the cities are vibrant with life. There's also something special about jumping 40 feet in the air, popping off a few rockets at a crowd of gangsters, and landing on their smoldering corpses.

I've been playing a lot of Crackdown lately. I don't think I play it like a normal person. My entire goal is to look for shiny orbs in hard to reach places. I don't care about cars, killing gangsters, or winning races. I usually only kill a boss if I think it will make it easier to collect orbs. It's cool though, I can jump like the frickin' Hulk.

Most people I know play it like that. Crackdown's not good for much else.

I just finished Fallout 2. I was a lucky thief (with exceptional power weapon skills).

It was the first time I dealt with the Enclave using weapons. It's a lot harder in comparison with charismatic/smart character.

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

Currently playing a pretty old game- Batman :Rise of Sin Tzu. Kind of a simple beat em up, but its not bad for a Batman fan.

Also Resistance: Fall of Man, since I recently got a PS3; its pretty fun, and its great for what it is . But so far Gears of War is better :rolleyes: