First Armed Robots on Patrol in Iraq

Guard Dog

Link: Armed Robots Patrol Iraq

Be sure to check out the video.

This thing is like Asimov's worst nightmare come to life. From an engineering standpoint I am fascinated. I'd be curious to know what the lag time on command execution is. What it's current usage is while running full out, firing and panning it's cameras simultaneously? Do the treads have separate drive trains? But that of course is proprietary. We have all heard that eventually wars will be fought using robot proxies. But I would bet, like me, no one believed it. Until now.

I have one request. Can we please limit this discussion to the technology and leave out the politics of the Iraq war itself. Everyone knows how everyone feels already. But the morality of the use of weapons like this is certainly fair game.

Now all those years of playing Doom will pay off.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I personally find it most disturbing. One of the principle components of human civilisation is the appication of force by the state. And one of the principle features of the historical use of force is the involvement of humans. If robots are to be used to apply force then I believe the consequences could be terrifying. For starters, if there is no-longer any such thing as female Army officers who am I going to date? o:)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's not a proper Aasimovian robot, as its remot-controlled by a human. So i think Isaac can rest easy for the time being o:)

This is alot like a miniature STUG tank as was seen in WW2. And a tank without the ability to aim its main weapons independantly of the direction its travelling is severely crippled in combat. With the lag from the remote control, the enemy will be long gone from the time the operator locates his target, to the time it will take for him to turn the robot around, aim and fire.

Its cool, but I doubt it will work.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

They had this on this show on Discovery Channel quite a few months ago. It was pretty neat, like the dude went for cover like half a mile away or something and like 5 minutes later he gets surrounded by like 3 of them.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

LOL that video was fun. Reminds me when I was a kid I used to terrorize the neighbors cats with my remote controlled toy car. But seriously, I doubt these robots will have some actual use in practice. Try to navigate that thing in a dark house with stairs and obstacles, or in some quick and fierce close-combat firefight. Besides, you could always take that thing out with a simple hand grenade. Waste of money I say.

Edited by Morgoth

The robot's human remote controlled, if I understand correctly. That's not very different from those small recon planes that carry missiles too I think. I thought those planes were a fantastic tool for taking out targets, independent from moral arguments for the moment. With battles becoming less about armies vs armies and more vs small groups of units the recon plane makes sense.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

These things might work against a fortified position, or even ambushing near a roadside, but they are pretty useless in a crowded city. How long do you think it would take before one got stolen and sold for parts.

Gorgon wins this thread! I'll have that image in my head all day today. I can see a couple of teenagers running away with that thing under their arms. Or worse, the soldier comes to get it and finds it on blocks, gun, treads, and cameras missing.

o:) Too funny.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"special weapons observation remote reconnaissance direct action system (SWORDS)"

It took a committee of twelve people eight months to think of that, and all the time getting paid a lot more than me. :sad:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

These things might work against a fortified position, or even ambushing near a roadside, but they are pretty useless in a crowded city. How long do you think it would take before one got stolen and sold for parts.

Gorgon wins this thread! I'll have that image in my head all day today. I can see a couple of teenagers running away with that thing under their arms. Or worse, the soldier comes to get it and finds it on blocks, gun, treads, and cameras missing.

:lol: Too funny.

I second. :lol:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have one request. Can we please limit this discussion to the technology and leave out the politics of the Iraq war itself. Everyone knows how everyone feels already. But the morality of the use of weapons like this is certainly fair game.

I would never do a thing like that... :lol:

:lol: Believe it or not you were not the one I was worried about.

Thomas Sowell

I would never do a thing like that... :lol:

:lol: Believe it or not you were not the one I was worried about.

Oi!

-Elwood Blues

"SWORDS"?

Are they serious? That's like straight out of b-mecha anime. Urgh...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Swords don't run out of ammunition.

-Elwood Blues

I always wondered. Do they start out knowing what they want to call it and just try to come up the the words for each letter?

Thomas Sowell

The Military Channel had a thing about these and an equally intertesting project for the Navel which now has a remote control patrol boat for ports/rivers/shallow water operations. Its basically an inflatable Zodiac with a .50 cal on the bow and a sensor package on the stern that resembles a FLIR (forward looking infra-red).

I always wondered. Do they start out knowing what they want to call it and just try to come up the the words for each letter?

I'm pretty sure in this case it's a backronym. They wanted to call it SWORD, so they came up with the words for each letter.

I, for one, plan on purchasing 50 of these for my robot army. They will be remote controlled by my penguin lieutenants.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."