What would you think about...

...a Star Wars Fan fic/short film/comic series written with the express intent to completely avoid depicting visual lightsaber combat and instead one that centered more on a tangent of the SW universe stressing the Force as a weapon, outside of what we know as "force powers"? Think of it as "Assisted Force Amplification".

Not strictly adhering to canon, but at the same time not completely contradicting it.

wookiedance.gif

...a Star Wars Fan fic/short film/comic series written with the express intent to completely avoid depicting visual lightsaber combat and instead one that centered more on a tangent of the SW universe stressing the Force as a weapon, outside of what we know as "force powers"? Think of it as "Assisted Force Amplification".

Not strictly adhering to canon, but at the same time not completely contradicting it.

I like the idea, just not fanfic; I never bother to read those.

I always wondered if the Force was such a great weapon, why the Jedi ever bothered to use lightsabers when they could just use powers like Kreia did. I always thought Nihilus was scarier when he did not have a lightsaber.

I'd probably love it, but I think a videogame is already being made about that. (The Force Unleashed)

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon

I like the idea, just not fanfic; I never bother to read those.

I always wondered if the Force was such a great weapon, why the Jedi ever bothered to use lightsabers when they could just use powers like Kreia did. I always thought Nihilus was scarier when he did not have a lightsaber.

I'd probably love it, but I think a videogame is already being made about that. (The Force Unleashed)

Force Unleashed is just a name, the game still will focus heavily on lightsaber combat, just the new engine will make Force powers a little more "wow" and interactive. (Still looks like a great game)

My idea deals with the complete elimination of lightsabers, though they are only referenced in the earlier sections as somewhat "key" to making the concept more valid.

I am trying to think of ways to give you a better idea, but doing so would comprise the whole thing, mostly because its still incomplete and mostly because I haven't chosen the medium in which to present it.

wookiedance.gif

I'd much rather read a fanfic where the Force isn't mentioned, nor anyone who is a mover and shaker in the SW galaxy. Gimme the average SW citizen

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

• 1 month later...
I'd much rather read a fanfic where the Force isn't mentioned, nor anyone who is a mover and shaker in the SW galaxy. Gimme the average SW citizen

You might like something I was writing not that long ago but never completed. It's about a Bounty Hunter who after a narrow brush with death takes up fishing.

There's a term for when an author creates a character that essentially serves as the author's presence in a story and often helps the author play out his fantasies. I think that's what we're seeing a lot of in Star Wars EU.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Tale is referring to "Mary Sue".

http://firefox.org/news/articles/6/1/Mary-...-You/Page1.html

Here's a quiz to help evaulate if any character is a Mary Sue. Most people in Star Wars are likely to be Mary Sues, even Kreia.

I can write up a story about an average person, but I don't know why. I mean, aren't we already average? I mean, if you really want to read a story about a bounty hunter who goes fishing, don't you go fishing, and then describe the whole scene "hi-tech"? It just sounds like a great way to write a "bad fic". Still, I might be interested in seeing it.

Edited by SilentScope001

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Architect
Mary Sues make me cry.

So you're saying that at least half of the KotOR characters make you cry then?

In that case, my fanboyism of the KotOR games has just boosted. :o

Tale is referring to "Mary Sue".

http://firefox.org/news/articles/6/1/Mary-...-You/Page1.html

Here's a quiz to help evaulate if any character is a Mary Sue. Most people in Star Wars are likely to be Mary Sues, even Kreia.

I can write up a story about an average person, but I don't know why. I mean, aren't we already average? I mean, if you really want to read a story about a bounty hunter who goes fishing, don't you go fishing, and then describe the whole scene "hi-tech"? It just sounds like a great way to write a "bad fic". Still, I might be interested in seeing it.

Tons of great fiction is nothing more than relatively regular people. It's a great platform to explore issues of the human condition and philosophy. And if you're not interested in that, well... you can always have regular people involved in great events (to explore human condition and philosophy).

Edited by Tale

Tons of great fiction is nothing more than relatively regular people. It's a great platform to explore issues of the human condition and philosophy. And if you're not interested in that, well... you can always have regular people involved in great events (to explore human condition and philosophy).

Yeah, but for both the former and the latter, I still say they are are special. For example, in All Quiet on the Western Front, some random nobody becomes a military trooper who is out killing the other side and suffering ethical problems and disappointment due to the endless War. I consider that guy a very important person, due to the fact the story is about him, and that he is "special" due to him seeing the light about how stupid the war is.

They could be artifaclly made special due to the fact they are the main character, but still, it is this specialness that don't make them regular at all. But if this is what you are aiming for, then sign me up to your newsletter! For I am a fan of exploring the human condition and philosphy and would love to see that fisherman story. I guess I'd rather aim for exploring it through some philospher just dictating to me what to believe in though rather than have a person subtly encourage me to believe in something.

There is however a problem in that are you really writing a sci-fi story: Sci-Fi has been defined as exploring not people, but technology, and how people react to technology (this means Star Wars is not sci-fi, it's fanasty.) Using this definition, how does a regular guy fishing have anything to do with technology. How can fishing showcase man's delimma with technology and how would technology affect that man?

Edited by SilentScope001

Mary Sues make me cry.

So you're saying that at least half of the KotOR characters make you cry then?

In that case, my fanboyism of the KotOR games has just boosted. :woot:

I know Juhani makes me cry out of pity and hatred for that cat thing. And Mission is so annoying that she brings me to tears.

But I hate it when people write themselves into a game. Like when people add a 10th walker to LOTR. Who happens to be female. Who happens to have Legolas or Aragorn fall head over heels with them. *shakes head* It's pointless and stupid. And I think Revan/Exile did just fine on their own without a Mary Sue thrown in there to steal away Carth/Atton. Or those chicks that all love the Exile and/or Bastila.

Mary Sues are a blight upon humanity.

I always considered both Revan and Exile to be Mary Sues. Think about it, you play as Revan/Exile, you can decide what you want them to do, you are uber-powerful, everyone falls in love with you, you are so rich and famous, etc.

Mary Sues aren't bad, per se, as long as you are enjoying your own Mary Sue, but please DON'T let other people see them.

Edited by SilentScope001

And Mission is so annoying that she brings me to tears.

Mission is so annoying she brings you to tears?

Jeez, then we must practically make you cry blood. :sad:

There is however a problem in that are you really writing a sci-fi story: Sci-Fi has been defined as exploring not people, but technology, and how people react to technology (this means Star Wars is not sci-fi, it's fanasty.) Using this definition, how does a regular guy fishing have anything to do with technology. How can fishing showcase man's delimma with technology and how would technology affect that man?

Your definition is flawed. But regardless, the answers to your questions only require an imagination. The concept of a man who has rejected technology for a simple existence is not so difficult a platform to interject your considerations of science fiction onto. Technology can effect even those who reject it, whether they like it or not.

I know Juhani makes me cry out of pity and hatred for that cat thing.

Kill the furry!

Mary Sues are a blight upon fiction.

fixed

Edited by Tale

Guest The Architect
Mission is so annoying she brings you to tears?

Jeez, then we must practically make you cry blood. :sad:

Whoa whoa whoa, just step back one second, punk. Who's this "we" you're talking about? I certainly hope by "we", you're not referring to me. The only tears I bring to Omelette are tears of joy and happiness and stuff. It's you who spreads your emoness and foolishness and jackassness and idiotism. You! :ermm:

Your definition is flawed. But regardless, the answers to your questions only require an imagination. The concept of a man who has rejected technology for a simple existence is not so difficult a platform to interject your considerations of science fiction onto. Technology can effect even those who reject it, whether they like it or not.

Spot on. The latest business and management book I'm reading at the moment {not at the moment at the moment, you know what I mean} cannot stress this point enough.

Kill the furry!

*Turns to group of my slaves*

Me: "The old man is right. The furry must be killed... Along with him."

:shifty:

Mary Sues are a blight upon fiction.

Fixed

Fixed. :shifty:

I don't think Omelette knows the difference, though. She's a sped. :shifty:

Guest The Architect

You know how you get those emails from me like, everyday, that say stuff like, "I'm going to kill you one day Dad." And "Watch yourself old man. You never know when you might end up with a knife in your back." And "The day I shoot you in the head will be the best day of my life."?

Well, anyway, to answer your question; no, I don't actually.

It's fun torturing Mary Sues like Juhani and Carth.... He's such a cry baby, but I was a little disappointed he didn't react so much when Dustil gets killed, still fun though.

And Juhani I'm a freak, an outcast my entire species has been wiped out and then you get the planet that was a complete cesspit destroyed burning all happy memories of my childhood. But you are Revan you saved me from slavery, I am so clingy my claws are like Velcro. It would be better if she did actually spit, hiss and cough fur balls.

:) It's really quite disturbing just how much a Mary Sue Revan is, and then you get the fanfictions.... that... :(

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

:huh: It's really quite disturbing just how much a Mary Sue Revan is, and then you get the fanfictions.... that... :)

I pretend some of them don't exist. I did read one once and I stopped midway in the first chappie because it was so...so...fanboyish? Is that a word? Well, now it is. "Revan pwns...Revan is teh awesome...Revan gets all the chicks...blah blah blah...Revan kills everyone for fun!" That stuff. And then I stopped reading in that section for a while.

Guest The Architect

I'm sure there's some good Revan fan fictions out there. Right? :)

But when so much is said about Revan in both KotOR games, and you play as Revan in KotOR, and there's probably tons of information about Revan on the Internet, I'm not quite sure why anyone would do a fan fiction on Revan for, unless you want to tell the story about how your official Revan played through KotOR or something.

I remember I was going to do that once, and I made a topic about it here some time ago so other people could do that, but then I stopped and thought "Uh, is it really worth it?" I answered that with "Umm... no, it's not." Anyway, Mary Sue or not, Revan is still an interesting character.

Nearly all CRPG PC's are Marty Stues

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)