Warcraft: The Well of Eternity Book

Its probably Lolbuttsecks the undead mage.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

A better question would be why anyone in their right mind would buy and read a novel based on WoW lore.

Who in their right mind would come here in the first place?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Those books aren't based on WoW lore. The WarCraft universe actually used to be quite original until WoW reared its ugly head. From then on every new concept needed to be compatible with balanced gameplay, and thus a bunch of very silly stuff was introduced to the lore.

The characters on the cover of Well Of Eternity are Malfurion and Krasus. I never liked the War Of The Ancients trilogy, but I started reading it because it was written by Richard Knaak, who also wrote Day Of The Dragon, the only WarCraft book I really enjoyed.

I still damn WoW for ruining a great fantasy universe.

Azeroth was so cool before WoW and Frozen Throne.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, judging by the amount of profit some fantasy universes generate...

I quite agree though, except I'm going to have to say that WarCraft III already destroyed it. I was liking my orcs bloodthirsty and savage, thank you very much. Now they've become second-rate Protoss.

Before Warcraft Adventures got cancelled(curse you Blizzard!) and Warcraft 3 turned into a regular rts, I quite liked what they had going with the whole corrupted humans and guerilla orcs. Fighting for freedom, but also power and nobody was good, only shades of grey and the Burning Legion.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I liked Warcraft 3's story. Grom :'( *sniffle*

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I liked it up until the Night Elves, which I thought were a bad design decision. The whole time I felt robbed of the original Alliance races and playing a mish mash of Drow and Dryads, like something marketing had created to act as T&A of the game(WoW was even worse in that regard). I mean, you got demons, regular elves and Kirin Tor, why another magic race?

kirottu said:

I rather liked the Orcs returning to their shamanistic roots, and the Scourge taking their place as the Burning Legion's instrument of doom (gotta admire everything the Lich King went through, from being a loyal Orc shaman only wanting the best for his people, to being manipulated by the Legion, only to stand up to them which eventually led him to fusing his trapped soul with corrupted Arthas' body). I didn't mind Night Elves role in the grand scheme of things either. I didn't quite like playing 'em, but they were an excellent set-up for races such as the magic hungry Naga and Blood Elves, which were very interesting additions to the lore imo (I found Frozen Throne's "human" campaign to be the coolest part of all of WarCraft III).

For me, it was WoW that completely ruined it. Undead joining the redeemed Horde was the first step towards things not making sense anymore. TBC made it even worse by adding Blood Elves too, and completely ignoring the original backstory of that Demon race (forgot its name) that according to the new TBC lore, suddenly turned into the Draenei, which - of all things - used a sodding space ship to get to Azeroth.

Ugh... WarCraft IV is utterly doomed. Let's pray Blizzard never decides to make a StarCraft MMO.

I liked it up until the Night Elves, which I thought were a bad design decision. The whole time I felt robbed of the original Alliance races and playing a mish mash of Drow and Dryads, like something marketing had created to act as T&A of the game(WoW was even worse in that regard). I mean, you got demons, regular elves and Kirin Tor, why another magic race?

The thing about Night Elves was that they rejected magic. Sure, pretty much everything in fantasy that's not steel and iron is magic, but you can only have so much of just that. I liked their inclusion in the lore as the original elves. Turns around the traditional good high elves having an evil dark elf group split off them. It turned it around, the good purple elves had an pseudo evil high elf group split off, that go good, then go evil again.

The only thing I really see particularly weird in Warcraft is the Forsakened. In Frozen Throne it really felt like their only purpose was to create a player race for WoW. Which is absolutely awful, because fantasy games = serious business.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Warcraft lore was never really original. Magical portals of doom created by an intergalactic army of destruction! Arthas is just a slight deviation of King Arthur, for example.

The only lore I've even found remotely interesting is the Scarlet Crusade, which is nothing more than a puppet of the Burning Legion. The whole reason I participated in Nax raids, way back when, was the chance that the Ashbringer would drop and I'd get to see what happens if you take it to the Scarlets. Other than that, WoW, Warcraft I-III... really nothing there to hold my interest lore wise. Pope, the demon race you mention weren't demons at all, they're the Eredar. Archimonde and Kil'jaeden were basically Sargeras' lieutenants, but not really demons.

Unless you mean the Nathrezim, which have nothing to do with the Eredar or the Draenei.

Yes well, Demons or not, the WarCraft III manual clearly stated the Eredar were the ones responsible for the corruption of the Titan Sargeras, while according to the TBC story, they were forced to flee (or something to that extent), leading them to settle on Draenor with the Orcs.

The Draenei in Frozen Throne also looked a lot cooler than those introduced in TBC. Obviously they received an Extreme Makeover because people only like playing pretty races (they even came up with different kinds of Draenei to cover this crap up). And whatever reason they might have to join the Alliance still puzzles me, especially since they've never even known of its existence, being on another world and all that.

If I were to continue WarCraft's lore the way it was left after Frozen Throne, I would've joined the Forsaken, Blood Elves and Naga as one faction, all of them being some kind of Night Elf outcasts (Sylvanas as an undead High Elf). Illidan could even recruit Outland's Fel Orcs easily into his ranks as well, since they too are still addicted to demonic magics. At least that way the races would've had a legit motivation to form a faction. In WoW it just feels they were added to the Horde in order to better suit the gameplay. Thumbs down.

Edited by Pope

Night elves are anti demon magic, thus they don't have any warlocks or mages. they do have holy and nature magic to play around with.

I think that the Blizzard guys really screwed up with the Idea of "we're going to give the horde a paladin!" I mean you get a race of elves that is basically torturing an angel for their power. Meanwhile the Shamans for the alliance literally fell out of the sky, meaning if you want to get to outland, grab a space suit and keep going strait up.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, it was lazy to not create a new class and just give Blood Elves that Pali. Still, I can see where trying to balance a new class is a huge headache. But I think they stress too much about PvP in WoW now, that clearly wasn't the original design direction.

Speaking of the developments with the undead, did anyone else notice how much Blizzard is ripping themselves off with that?

You've got the "good warrior girl", (Kerrigan, Sylvanas) and they get turned into a screwed up version of themselves by a faction which consists out of mindless monsters (Zerg, Undead) who are basically controlled by one all-knowing creature (The Overmind, The Lich King). But then their controller hits a snag, and suddenly they have free thought again, and decide to take a part of the faction for their own (Kerrigan's broods, The Forsaken). Also, both of them are very treacherous. I'm pretty sure both of them betrayed everyone they came into contact with. (Mengsk, Raynor, Fenix, Zeratul - Garithos, Arthas, The Dreadlords)

Edited by TrueNeutral

Wouldn't that be "replicating a working plot mechanic" instead of "ripping off"?

That said, you could make a case that Warcraft 3 is just "zergs in fantasyland" as the amount of similarities is pretty astounding.

kirottu said:

Oh, new expansion announced for WoW. Level cap is raised to 80, and 10 new areas are being added for level 68 and up. There's a new class, hero class, Death Knight.

I'm a WoW fan, I really enjoyed it for a couple years as a casual player, but this is really not exciting to me. It's just more high level stuff, more raids and pvp content, and it really doesn't apply to casual players at all. I have no interest in levelling up to 68 just to go explore a few new uber areas. Why can't they add some content across the level spectrum? Why don't they add classes that are playable at level 1? I don't know, I guess I'm no longer their target audience. I miss the days when WoW wasn't about PvP and raids.

yay! my guild might be doing lvl 60 raids for training purposes!

ASHBRINGER HERE I COME!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

When will they stop putting WC3 models into WoW and actually start create models that have more than 100 polys?

That would be a ridiculous decision. WoW is playable on most computers because they don't overdue their art resources. 9 million subscribers means keeping it simple.