Freezing problems please help!!!

Hi i'm a massive fan of kotor 1 + 2 but lately i have been having a major problem, each time i load more than 3 times (more or less) it comes up with an error report thing to which i always click don't send. the bad thing about it is on kotor2 i am trying to save khoonda but it has three loads before you can save! so it crashes every time! Kotor1 i can live with but i would like to know how to fix that aswell. I have annother problem with kotor2 at home (it only works at my cousins) it allways stops installing at about 3/4 of the way through saying component cannot be transferred. this is the same with kotor1 at my cousins but i have played it once but when i next went to his house it was gone, so i tried reloading it but it stoped about 3/4 of the way again! with the same thing please help!!!!

I'm not a computer wizard though i do know more than the basics (slightly)

so please dont send me complicated answers just som simple stuff. tyvm.

Regards, your friend the Wookie, Chewbacca

:lol:

Edited by chewbacca09

Chewbacca

The obvious thing to try is to ininstall then reinstall K2 (you won't lose the save games), but as I can tell that might be impossible at the moment, so I'll try and come up with other ideas. From the sound of things however I suspect that the problem might lie with your CD drive or with your CD-older CD drives can sometimes have problems reading disks if they are even slightly less than perfect (I talk from experience, I had to change my CD drive before it would read some of my disks when it got old).

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

You should go take a look over on the Lucasarts message boards-there is a section on there for technical help for the KOTOR games which might have helpful tips, if not you can always post there to see if someone can help.

Try running scandisk, if the problem is a corrupted file somewhere this *might* solve the problem. You can also find and download free programs that can check your PC for registry issues that could be causing problems-take a look at a sight called Majorgeeks for a very long list of freeware and shareware programs you can download.

It might help if we knew;

What OS you are using-Win XP, Vista, 98.....

What graphics card you are using.

How old your PC is (which we might be able to guess at from the specs anyway)

Computer: Packard bell, AMD athlon XP 2800+, 2.07GHz, 1.00GB of RAM

Operating System: Windows xp home edition, version 2002, service pack 2

Grafics Card: Standard with pc

That is all i could find out on the pc hope that is what u ment and that it helps u help me! lol!

Regards The Wookie Chewy ;)

Chewbacca

Grafics Card: Standard with pc

Thats not very helpful I'm afraid, since it doesn't give me any idea what chipset the card uses (Intel, Nvidea, Radeon etc) or the amount of memory it has (64, 128Mb etc) or if the card in integral-built into the motherboard-or an AGP card-connected to but not part of the motherboard. All of these things can make a difference. If for example your graphics card is built into the motherboard you will have problems with many games since its really intended just to allow you to display windows not play games.

OK, go into my computer and select system properties. Click on the tap 'hardware' then click on device manager. Click on the + sign next to display adapters and that should tell you what graphics card is in your PC. If you right click on the card there is an option to update the driver directly from there.

Looking at the rest of the specs I'd say your PC is doing well, and as a quick guess that the crash issue is down to the graphics card. That you were able to run K1 on the same PC doesn't surprise me, I ran K1 just fine on a 64mb Nvidea card but ran into problems on K2-in part because the configure program decided to set all the graphics options far to high for the card-might be worth trying setting the graphics options to low and seeing if that helps. When I changed to a Radeon card with more memory the game locked up (as did other games), which is why I suspect that its your graphics card thats the problem here.

It is a: RADEON 9200 LE Family (Microsoft Corperation)

And there seems to be annother one called: RADEON 9200 LE Family SEC (Microsoft Corperation)

hope they help there the only stats on the graphics card i have found so far.

Chewy

Chewbacca

I think that the problem is the graphics card-I used to use a Radeon card and it used to lock up while playing games without reason. The only solution I had was to change the card, but I'd be interested to see what other people with more knowledge of graphics cards have to say on this.

I would advise checking Lucasarts message boards-specifically the technical help sections for the KOTOR games. There will be far more information on there about problems with graphics cards, and possible solutions.

Couldn't i just upgrade my card over the net? I have heard some of my friends doing that do u know a site that i can do this on?

If not please tell me how to change my graphics card a diagram that has been scaned on would do, because i haven't a clue where my card is situated inside the pc and i would probably take something important out and break it!?

Where is somewhere i can buy a knew graphics card? (A store name that i might find in Edinburgh)

Regards Chewy :(

Chewbacca

Couldn't i just upgrade my card over the net? I have heard some of my friends doing that do u know a site that i can do this on?

Do you mean "update the driver?"

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Not sure i just heard some of my friends talking about updating their graphics cards or something because of a game.

I dont know.

I think that whatever they did worked cos i never heard them talk about it again.

I thought it might work for me.

Regards Chewy

Chewbacca

Okay first off, there is no specific conflict between an ATI chipset and KOTOR II or games in general. Always make sure your drivers are up to date. I do not use standard drivers, I use the Omega's. Nevertheless, I'd advise you install the default ones.

Download and run CCleaner. Once the program is installed, run it and click "run cleaner". This may take awhile depending on whether or not you delete temp files. After that, click on the little jumbled box on the side called "issues". Click on "scan for issues", and when the program gives you the option whether to delete a certain registery entry; click "fix all issues".

As an added bonus, CCleaner will show your computer's basic information at the start. For example "AMD X2 4400+ GeForce 7950GT 2GB RAM". Please post what you have on the forum.

Once that is done, download and install new radeon drivers. Here is a link

If that does not help, try erasing all remants of either KOTOR from your pc and continue posting here.

Sigh, I shall try to help.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon

You would also need to actually physically buy and install a new graphics card.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon

i dont think my cousin would like me to do that in case i muck it up (it's his computer). but whilst i have been playing i have found that my cd drive gets very hot and then it stops working so when that happens i take the disk out for an hour and then it cools down and i can play fine again for a while. its annoying but at least it works.

thanks for help all of u

Regards Chewy

Chewbacca

i dont think my cousin would like me to do that in case i muck it up (it's his computer). but whilst i have been playing i have found that my cd drive gets very hot and then it stops working so when that happens i take the disk out for an hour and then it cools down and i can play fine again for a while. its annoying but at least it works.

thanks for help all of u

Regards Chewy

Ouch. That sounds like you have an old CD drive and/or insufficient cooling. See if you can add a fan to the inside of the computer. If that fails, get a new CD drive. ;)

This green signature brought to you by my friend The Thinker.

Hi i'm a massive fan of kotor 1 + 2 but lately i have been having a major problem, each time i load more than 3 times (more or less) it comes up with an error report thing to which i always click don't send. the bad thing about it is on kotor2 i am trying to save khoonda but it has three loads before you can save! so it crashes every time! Kotor1 i can live with but i would like to know how to fix that aswell. I have annother problem with kotor2 at home (it only works at my cousins) it allways stops installing at about 3/4 of the way through saying component cannot be transferred. this is the same with kotor1 at my cousins but i have played it once but when i next went to his house it was gone, so i tried reloading it but it stoped about 3/4 of the way again! with the same thing please help!!!!

I'm not a computer wizard though i do know more than the basics (slightly)

so please dont send me complicated answers just som simple stuff. tyvm.

Regards, your friend the Wookie, Chewbacca

:)

buty both for xbox i had the same problem and bought a 360 and you can play them on there

A coward dies a thousand deaths but a soulja dies one~ 2Pac

his comp is pretty new and he just has had a new drive cos somthing went wrong with the old one.

chewy

Hmmm... sounds definitely like insufficient cooling. Some computers just come with empty fan slots.

So see if you can get him to buy another fan to add to the inside of the computer. They're not very expensive, but they go a long way toward keeping a computer working right for a longer period of time.

This green signature brought to you by my friend The Thinker.

Its also a good idea to make sure that the air vents are not blocked-dust in the vents on the outside of the case attact dust and its worth cleaning them frequently, either with a dustcloth or you can use a vacume cleaner to suck them clean. Also make sure that the vents are not being blocked on the outside, say by the case being to close to a wall or books etc being piled around the side of the computer. Do check to make sure that the main fan is working, it should be blowing air out of the back of the case. If its not doing this it needs replacing. The fan blades might also be covered in dust, which happens quite a lot and the best (and simplest) way to clean them is to just suck it out with a vacume cleaner when the PC is turned off.

If you are up to it there are a few things you can look for inside the case;

The CD drive should have a clear area around it, sometimes PC drives are fitted too closely together and this can result in one or both drives over heating. If this is the case with your PC the only viable options are to either install a second fan inside the case, or the easier (and cheaper) option is to move one of the drives into another bay so there is a bigger gap between the drives. This over heating problem can also affect things like graphics cards if they are placed into slots directly above/below another card. (I have no idea why, but I'm starting to think that your CD drive is resting right on top of the harddrive)

Check the fan inside the case for the processor, chances are its covered in dust. While this doesn't directly cool anything other than the processor it does allow for more air to move around inside the case. Cleaning this should, in anycase, allow the processor to cool better and this is something you can easilly to with your fingers, as all the dust will be on the leading edge of the blades. (Just do NOT try and clean the fan while the PC is turned on, it is quite able to take a fingernail off if its working).

Check the drive in question and if need be clean it-dust will insulate the drive so it will get hotter faster and cool slower.

Make sure that the fan inside the case is not being blocked and that air can move around the inside of the case freely. A thick bundle of wires right in front of the fan-or in behind of the drive-can prevent air from moving around and helping keep things cool. Wires and cables should be as far away from all a PC's fans, not just so they don't affect cooling/airflow but also so that there is no risk of them touching the fan, which will cut straight though the wires and leave a mess.

Edited by Darth Mortis

buty both for xbox i had the same problem and bought a 360 and you can play them on there

That's a "really great suggestion," but didn't the original poster want to make it playable on his PC? o:)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Not sure i just heard some of my friends talking about updating their graphics cards or something because of a game.

They, most likely, got a new graphics card, or cards, for you cannot download graphics cards from the Internet. o:)

-Hurlshot