Good co-op games?

Noceur

Hello there.

Me and my brother's currently living under the same roof. We've got a LAN (naturally), but so far we haven't used it much.

We've played DSII (pretty much wasted money, but it was bargain bin price) and NWN2 so far.

Anyone got any suggestion on good co-op titles? And I mean of any genre really (preferably real-time though, since my brother is slow enough as it is :) ).

FPS, RTS, RPG... you name it. All I'm really looking for is a good co-op campaign.

ps. I hate starting topics, I'm always afraid I'm posting in the wrong place and that I didn't make a thorough enough search. Btw, we've also got Dawn of War and GRAW. GRAW didn't feel quite right and DoW we've played to death. TO DEATH I SAY! Plus it hasn't got a co-op campaign, which is a criteria I'm looking for.

edit: Spelling.

Edited by Noceur

Baldur's Gate I & II

Halo 1 & 2 (XBox version only)

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

No Xbox, I'm afraid. Otherwise I wouldn't have to ask for co-op games ;)

edit: Thanks for posting though. Been thinking about BG1 or two, since we both have em, but meh.

Edited by Noceur

I used to play this game called Hunter Hunted, that you could play with one keyboard. It was a side-scroller action game with multiple "layers". There were doors and entryways you could walk through to another 2D map. I can't really say why I love it so much. The soundtrack is industrialicious, and as long as you've got a music CD in your drive you can use whatever's on it as background music. I think it came on the same demo CD as Fallout.

Edited by Pop

Is there a Sven co-op for Half-life 2 out?

EDIT: Btw, if anyone else is looking for good co-op, I'd suggest Alien Swarm. Although you need UT2004 to play it. http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/

They're working on a Source version (both a mod for HL2 and a purchasable stand-alone version).

Edited by Noceur

Sacred Plus (and Underworld) has pretty good co-op. I especially like how you're able to only group up whenever you feel like it. If you feel like going at it alone, you can do that too. The world certainly is big enough to fit two-to-four players at once. And it's kind of fun being able to do your own thing for a while and then you gang up for some tougher enemy, once you've found it. It's also fun to sit and compare the quests you've found and the rewards you've gotten.. and the loot you've picked up.. and then trade it amongst your mates.

Just don't try to play it in single player mode. It's deathly boring and repetitive.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

No Xbox, I'm afraid. Otherwise I wouldn't have to ask for co-op games :lol:

haha, truth.

For the PC though, Hearts of Iron 2 and Civ4 are both thinky games, but both very satisfying in coop, but only consider them if you know you like these kinds of games. In both cases though the coop is nicely intigrated (not just 'skirmish mode') and playable with just one copy of the game.

Otherwise, the hugely overlooked RTS Ground Control 2 has its complete campain playable in coop with just one CD across a LAN.

This also goes for Red Alert 2.

If you're feeling sadistic Dangerous Waters is now available on Steam. It's a submarine simulator which allows for coop within the same vessel (including destroyers and helicopters). You each choose which stations to man then attempt not to crash into the ocean floor. Which is easy, unless your pilot is retarded or Llyranor.

Starlancer should be very cheap now, and while it's enough that it's one of the best space sims ever made it's campain is also completely playable in coop, including promotions. Nothing quite like working togeather to beat a mission then getting a promotion while your team-mate doesn't. You can then fly your new ship in his face just to spite him.

If space sims have daunted you in the past then this one is very much on the action end of things, no fiddling with your sheild settings or engine output is needed.

Freelancer is also a lot of fun in multiplayer, though it's not strictly a coop campain. More like, you and your buddy are let loose in a universe full of potential and can do whatever you want (including forming a wing, which is coop for all the hirable missions/piracy/trading you can do).

If you're looking for more subtly to your coop, both Hidden and Dangerous games have their campains available for coop. Be warned though, the first game is very unforgiving to those new to it and the second is only coopable with the sabre squadron addon pack (but a far more forgiving and polished game).

I can second Commandos 2 being a lot of fun in coop, though you really really have to be willing to work closely with your team-mate in tactics and coordination. Commandos 1 is also coopable, but I wouldn't recomend it.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

System Shock 2 has coop.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

No One Lives Forever 2 has an awesome coop mode. It is a side story where you play as field agents and complete various missions involving the main story, from rescuing the main character Cate Archer to gathering intel for her missions.

If you or your coop buddies are killed, you can walk up to them and revive them, you can work together causing distractions to sneak by enemies. It is a shame Monolith didn't create more coop missions for FEAR.

We always play Starcraft over LAN. The only map we like is "Happy Hunting Grounds", an 8-player map set up in such a way that you never have to leave your initial base (although it always pays to branch out, even if an outpost lasts 5 minutes you're likely to make your money back) every mineral deposit, of which there are 9 per site, and gas vent, 2 per site, are set to max resources. and it's designed to make frontal assault as difficult as possible. You play a melee game, use 3 or 4 AIs, team up with your friend, and amass forces. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes the computer gets smart and may well wipe one of you out, or get close. There's usually at least 1 dunce AI that sits and gathers resources until they're wiped out. Leave protoss out of your first few games, though. Early zealot rushes are impossible to stop (unfortunately that only goes for the AI, which always manages to create a dozen plus zealots before you've built your second defender unit).

Edited by Pop

There's an Unreal tournament 2004 mod by the name of "Alien Breed" I think. Awesome coop that is.

Its an over the top view shooting game with an atmosphere similar to Starcraft and Aliens and the players will have to work together to accomplish objectives.

Thanks everyone! Some of those games piqued my interest. I'm a huge on/off space-sim fan (Orbiter FTW, although I've never gotten further than the moon), so Starlancer sounds intruiging.

Zoma: Hehe, that would be the Alien Swarm I mentioned earlier ;)

Keep em comming though, you can never get enough co-op games.

ps. Republic Commando would've been a great lazy afternoon coop game.

If you're into the diabloesque types of games, I can recommend Titan Quest. It's a very fun game, especially in coop. The expansion is a bit buggy, but still a good add-on and (to my experience) not buggy enough to detract from the overall game.

Zombie Jesus, YES!

I love that game. It needs a sequal (with co-op support). Just imagine it now; Imperial Commando and you get to purge Jedi.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Zombie Jesus, YES!

I love that game. It needs a sequal (with co-op support). Just imagine it now; Imperial Commando and you get to purge Jedi.

The only downer is that you can't yell "Die, Rebel Scum!" ... or can you? The plot of the new movies wasn't that memorable.

Zombie Jesus, YES!

I want that game. Like, NOW.

"Lord Vader has ordered your destruction, scum" *PEW PEW*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I heard Mercenaries 2 is coming to the PC AND it will have co-op. That sounds awesome.

I haven't played Mercenaries 1, but from what I've seen of Mercenaries 2, it has the potential for some good co-op action.

Zombie Jesus, YES!

I want that game. Like, NOW.

"Lord Vader has ordered your destruction, scum" *PEW PEW*

i want it as well

A coward dies a thousand deaths but a soulja dies one~ 2Pac