nVidia's Geforce 9800 GTX revealed

Meshugger

1. By Q4 2007 (Xmas) NVIDIA will be releasing their GeForce 9800 series GPUs.

Unlike previously expected the codename for nVidia's next generation GPU will NOT be "G90" but instead be "G92".

I have some info form NVIDIA insider about the upcoming G92 graphics processors.

G92 will be released in November 2007 timeframe in the form of "GeForce 9800" series.

"G92" GeForce 9800 GTX specs.

- 65nm process technology at TSMC.

- Over one billion transistors.

- Second Generation Unified Shader Architecture.

- Double precsion support (FP64).

- GPGPU native.

- Over one TeraFLOPS of shader processing power.

- MADD+ADD configuration for the shader untis (2+1 FLOPS=3 FLOPS per ALU)

- Fully Scalar design.

- 512-bit memory interface.

- 1024MB GDDR4 graphics memory.

- DirectX 10.1 support.

- OpenGL 3.0 Support.

- eDRAM die for "FREE 4xAA".

- built in Audio Chip.

- built in tesselation unit (in the graphics core"

- Improved AA and AF quality levels

Pros.

65nm process will allow for better yields and better power consumption. power consumption will be lower than that of a GeForce 8800 GTX.

GeForce 9800 GTX will be over two times faster than a GeForce 8800 Ultra in real world games and applcations.

Release date : November 2007. There will be TWO products at launch: The flagship GeForce 9800 GTX and the second fastest GeForce 9800 GTS.

price for the GeForce 9800 GTX will be 549-649 USD.

price for the GeForce 9800 GTS will be 399-449 USD.

Beyond3d

XbitLabs

- eDRAM for AA? Nice feature.

- Onboard audio? What?

The rest is expected from a second-generation dx10-card.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

:yes:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Glad I've waited. I knew something like this would happen.

Edit: wow some biting comments on XBit. *checks date; it's not April 1st* I'll believe it more when I see something written up on AnandTech.

Edited by Wistrik

I dunno. I spent over $500 on my last card and it still handles the kinds of games I throw at it. I'm not sure I want to go over budget again and spend that kind of money on a card if I don't need it. on the other hand, I do like to have the latest shiny...

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I hear you. While I do make more money than I need for my simple lifestyle, I don't like wasting it. Instead of getting an 8800GTX when they came out, which would have been overkill (CPU limited) for my curren system, I got a much less expensive 7950GT that was a considerable upgrade, in terms of performance, from my 6800GT. (NWN2 went from ~20FPS at 1024x768 to ~40FPS at 1920x1200.)

I want the next computer I build to last for a few years, and I want it to be able to run Vista-like 64-bit operating systems, both from a performance standpoint and from a programming standpoint (I'm on a 32-bit system with a 64-bit processor so I can only fake it at the moment.) It should also be able to dominate any game that comes out in the next five to seven years (assuming programmers don't become completely incompetant in their optimization capabilities).

You know, I'm considering holding off on the year's end build. *gasp* I'm with you completely. I hate the idea of throw away money and there are so many cool things coming out so fast, I don't see why I can't wait. Whenever the current build can't handle things I can get the latest video... 9800 or whatever is out there. Yeah, this one seems really awesome, but over $600?

On the other hand, my wife's computer is not as fast. It still runs WoW, but not at the highest settings. She doesn't really game much, though, and so that makes it even more difficult. Still, she wants to get into Photoshop and such.

You know, 2 grand (hell, with the new stuff, more like 3 grand) is not a small amount of money for me. Yes, I can afford to buy this stuff, but I can also use that money for other things. If nothing else, we could put it in a CD and have it make money. So, when I see threads that tout the latest stuff, I have to weigh what we want or need against what else we might do with that money. Luckily, the wife and I truly do lead a simple lifestyle. Most of my big dollar purchases tend to be either on the house or computer/electronics stuff. I guess the thing is, we can afford it. ...But is it worth it just to have the latest toy?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This is a bit quick, I thought they werent going to launcg the Geforce9 series until well into 2008

edit: and the nextgen Intel chipsets for desktops are called Wolfsdale(dual) and Yorkfield(quad). penryn is for laptops.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is a bit quick, I thought they werent going to launcg the Geforce9 series until well into 2008

edit: and the nextgen Intel chipsets for desktops are called Wolfsdale(dual) and Yorkfield(quad). penryn is for laptops.

No Penryn is the blanket term for the Wolfsdale/Yorkfield series of processors.

Intel has a new method to kill AMD. Tick-Tock method. They create a new type of processor, then later on they optimize it, then they create another new type of processor, the later on optimize it etc, etc....

Penryn is the name of the this processor that is being optimized, which are both the wolfdale and yorkfield i believe. Both will be in PC's I believe.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

• 2 weeks later...

I was so close to buying a Nvidia 8800GTX the other day..

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/12993

I'm so glad I didn't. I'll just wait until after Crysis is released and hope for ATI to make a huge comeback with their next series of GPU's.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I hear you. While I do make more money than I need for my simple lifestyle, I don't like wasting it. Instead of getting an 8800GTX when they came out, which would have been overkill (CPU limited) for my curren system, I got a much less expensive 7950GT that was a considerable upgrade, in terms of performance, from my 6800GT. (NWN2 went from ~20FPS at 1024x768 to ~40FPS at 1920x1200.)

I want the next computer I build to last for a few years, and I want it to be able to run Vista-like 64-bit operating systems, both from a performance standpoint and from a programming standpoint (I'm on a 32-bit system with a 64-bit processor so I can only fake it at the moment.) It should also be able to dominate any game that comes out in the next five to seven years (assuming programmers don't become completely incompetant in their optimization capabilities).

Five to seven sounds a stretch. Maybe 5.

I wish I hadn't bought an 8800.

o:)((((((((((((((((((

Oh well. Such is life.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon

• 2 weeks later...

I will get this then. :lol:

My budget for a new video card is 500-600. My budget for a new computer is 2000. I too lead a very simple lifestyle and a new computer about every 5 years, (I've had my current computer for about 5 years now) is pretty much my main indulgence. I hoping to have 2000 bucks saved up after putting away money for school/savings/investments, around early next year.

Woot!

If you come up with any particularly good finds, please let me know in my build thread. I'm figuring out my build right now.

Obsidian Plays

I'm currently struggling to pay for the electricity for my current machines.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Can u help me pay my electric bills too Walsingham?

:brows:

Insofaras I have any ability to pay any electricty bills, sure, why not?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm pleased because

• the 8800, whilst the best available, doesn't have the grunt to play this year's yet-to-be-released games with all the candy on max, and
  • I haven't upgraded yet.

I am not pleased with the prospect of paying premium Christmas prices, but maybe I'll rationalise it as a reward for my expected end-of-year achievements. :sorcerer:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT