US cat 'predicts patient deaths'

Guard Dog

Article Link: Link

A US cat that is reportedly able to sense when a nursing home's residents are about to die is baffling doctors.

Oscar has a habit of curling up next to patients at the home in Providence, Rhode Island, in their final hours.

According to the author of a study in the New England Journal of Medicine, the two-year-old cat has been observed to be correct in 25 cases so far.

Staff now alert the families of residents when he sits down next to their ailing loved one.

"He doesn't make many mistakes. He seems to understand when patients are about to die," David Dosa, a professor at Brown University who carried out the research, told the Associated Press news agency.

'Premonitions'

Oscar was adopted as a kitten at Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre.

The cat is said to do his own rounds, just like the doctors and nurses at the home, but is not generally friendly to patients.

Although most families are grateful for the warning Oscar seems to provide, some relatives ask that the pet be taken away while they say their last goodbyes to their loved ones.

When put outside the room, Oscar is said to pace up and down meowing in protest.

Thomas Graves, a feline expert from the University of Illinois, told the BBC: "Cats often can sense when their owners are sick or when another animal is sick.

"They can sense when the weather will change, they're famous for being sensitive to premonitions of earthquakes."

A doctor who treats patients at the home said she believed there was probably a biochemical explanation, rather than the cat being psychic

Lady Crimson will hate me for this but.... Cats are EVIL! I kid of course.

Just for a laugh, can you imagine if you worked in that nursing home and one day while eating lunch the cat came and curled up next to YOU?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Although most families are grateful for the warning Oscar seems to provide, some relatives ask that the pet be taken away while they say their last goodbyes to their loved ones.

When put outside the room, Oscar is said to pace up and down meowing in protest.

That strikes me as rather wierd - wait - what if they only die because Oscar lies next to them!?

jdo0421l.jpg - Hey Oscar, who's next?

Fortune favors the bald.

This is nothing new to me. When I was growing up, our animals always tended to be friendlier if one of us was sick or had a headache.

Anyone who's ever watched a good animal mother care for her young can attest to their being able to sense when something's wrong.

Edited by Wistrik

And the fact that the cat is from the US is also very significant.

I think they specified that because it was on the BBC website.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That wouldn't surprise me, our cat usually acts very friendly when someone's sick at the household.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Demon Cat harvesting Souls!!!!!!!

...Anyways, I bet it would suck to be there and have the cat walk up to you.

Autopsy shows: "My god! This man died of fright!"

Dun dun dun! Twilight Zone!

Doodoodoodoo doodoodoodoo!

I was pounced upon by a cat this evening on the way to the pub. I berated the animal by pointing out that I was perfectly capable of seizing it and pulling its legs off. Cats are the most stupid and arrogant beasts after people.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I should point out that cats are able to tell if it's going to rain because of the air pressure change.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I should point out that cats are able to tell if it's going to rain because of the air pressure change.

True, their whiskers are hypersensitive when it comes to any change in air pressure.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy