Infogrames-Atari Extends D&D Game Rights To 2017

funcroc

Infogrames-Atari Extends D&D Game Rights To 2017

Infogrames Entertainment: New Strategic Agreement with Hasbro Concerning the Dungeons & Dragons Franchise

Digital Gaming Rights to Be Sold Back to Hasbro for 19.5 Million US Dollars

LYON, France--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Regulatory News:

As part of the relaunch strategy announced by the Group on June 21 and the Group

How lucrative is this D&D deal really? How much did NWN2 sell again?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

NWN2 came out last December right? It is still selling for top dollar ($40-$50) in the US so it must be doing well.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Good enough to warrant an expansion.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

NWN2 came out last December right? It is still selling for top dollar ($40-$50) in the US so it must be doing well.

really? no discounts yet? wow, i'm impressed.

well, i know that my otherwise non-gaming buddy really digs it. heck, he actually enjoyed NWN OC of all things (though he wisely preferred HoTU over the OC and SoU).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

All the more reason for good game developers to write their own rules systems. I am sick to death of D&D/D20.

AD&D is still my fav. i never noticed much difference with 2nd edition, but by the time it came out, i wasn't playing much other than crpgs anyway. 3E has its pros and cons for me...

i second the BG3 hope, btw. unfortunately, i'd want it to be a slicker version of the BG2 interface, 3/3.5E rules would be fine, but i just love the top-down aspect and limited view those games offered. somebody mentioned a variant of the toee engine would be cool, and i'd go for that, too, particularly if they could improve the TB combat a bit (toee was ok in this respect, but there were plenty of awkwardnesses that i hated).

taks

Oh, don't get me wrong-- AD&D was worse that D&D in most respects. Mostly, I'm sick of clunky rules that were clearly designed to be implemented in a tabletop game with nothing more than a few dice and some scratch paper as a calculation mechanism. That and endless fanboys on message boards complaining that the developers didn't implement their favorite obscure race/class/feat properly.

true. D&D was just soooo incomplete, but that's OK in a tabletop pnp implementation since house rules are easy to put into play on the fly. in fact, many, if not all, of the updates in subsequent rule sets were indeed house rules that the writers used in their own campaigns. i suppose a crpg is nothing more than "D&D with the developers' house rules used to clean up the mess." WotC would have to come out with a crpg variety of D&D/d20 if we really wanted a less clunky implementation.

taks

Oh, don't get me wrong-- AD&D was worse that D&D in most respects. Mostly, I'm sick of clunky rules that were clearly designed to be implemented in a tabletop game with nothing more than a few dice and some scratch paper as a calculation mechanism. That and endless fanboys on message boards complaining that the developers didn't implement their favorite obscure race/class/feat properly.

Yeah, I agree this complitely. Even the good games in the past played more like strategic combat simulators (Goldbox series, ToEE) if they followed combat rules. BG series and PS:T did loosen up rules system a bit and managed to be successful in other areas too but then again especially in PS:T combat was worst part of otherwise great game.

Following rules too carefully limits just about every area of game design. If you use death as plot device, you really should make sure that story allows dead character to be somehow brought back to life. Or met again in some plane. I don't envy developers who try to balance game after lvl 6 or 7. Within limits of current rules it's hard to do even with live GM, so it's just about impossible to do in computer game.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Nice. Two companies, Infogrames-Atari, that suck. Bioware with the partnership of Obsidian deserve the rights. More Icewind Dale and Baldur Gate type games could be made.

Except I'm pretty sure that Bioware doesn't want it.

Well, I for one would like to see Obsidian make at least 2 more expansions for NWN2 and both Bioware and them collaborate on NWN3 using the next Unreal engine, but still give us moderately user friendly tools set.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yeah, I think that the human element of DnD is almost completely forgotten -- or de-emphasized to such an extent -- such that computers fail to provide the same gaming experience and fans cannot understand why. The simple answer is that groups of people interacting in a fantasy setting is much more compelling (and relies far less on rules) than what they give it credit for.

This is partly why I'm interested in Dragon Age; Bioware's making their own rules rather than using spendy D&D rules that weren't designed with computer games in mind.

surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, I think that the human element of DnD is almost completely forgotten -- or de-emphasized to such an extent -- such that computers fail to provide the same gaming experience and fans cannot understand why. The simple answer is that groups of people interacting in a fantasy setting is much more compelling (and relies far less on rules) than what they give it credit for.

+1

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Nice. Two companies, Infogrames-Atari, that suck.

It was pretty likely, sucks no less for it being confirmed.

This is partly why I'm interested in Dragon Age; Bioware's making their own rules rather than using spendy D&D rules that weren't designed with computer games in mind.

To my mind, that seems to be about the only appeal left to Dragon Age (I prefer multiplayer and/or moddable games for the most part).

Edited by Lokey

Just what I needed, another forum to keep up with.

Neversummer PW

Nice. Two companies, Infogrames-Atari, that suck.

It was pretty likely, sucks no less for it being confirmed.

To my mind, that seems to be about the only appeal left to Dragon Age (I prefer multiplayer and/or moddable games for the most part).

Don't give up on modding DA yet. Nothing has been set in stone beyond the fact it will have a toolset. They have said it will not be like NWN1 & 2 but that does not mean it won't be better. Actually I'm expecting something along the lines of Elder Scrolls. I guess we will find out next year.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The game's not supposed to be tile-based, right? So an actual world tool is possible.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I wonder how much good the D&D franchise is going to do Atari as The +6 hammer of NASDAQ is poised to smite them.

Little to none.

Thomas Sowell