Quick Monitor Question

Tigranes

Alright, time to dip into the big green vat of knowledge everybody here except me seems able to contribute to. Just a quick question.

So I formatted someone else's computer for them, since they're your standard know-nothing-about-computers. Everything went fine. Except I used my own monitor for the proceedings, and when the said person returned to her home and tried to use it, apparently the monitor says 'Out of Range' as soon as it gets into Windows.

I suspect the problem is that mine is a XGA CRT (This one, to be precise) and hers is a LCD, apparently something called a Direction L172 Deluxe (Only info I could find was from a new zealand equivalent of eBay.), with apparently a RGB input signal, whatever that means. They also have different horz/vert scan frequencies. The same error occurs even if one attempts Safe Mode.

The resolution of 1024x768 shouldn't matter at all, and I don't think the refresh rate was anything above 70 either (left at default). So I suppose there's something different between the two monitors that means whtaever output Windows is putting out for my monitor, that LCD can't handle.

So the question is, what's the quickest and best way to fix it? Tomorrow I should have access to that computer, and both monitors. The OS is WinXP. If I could somehow find out in the next 12 hours I'd be a happy, happy chap and you all would get some immaterial gob of greatful happiness in return. :thumbsup:

So, Tally ho, off you go.

Sounds more like a TV than a Monitor :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Out of Range" means that the frequency or resolution is too much for her (you sly dog, you) monitor. Most probably the frequency. Safe mode should boot into a very ordinary default VGA resolution, so I'm not sure why that tactic isn't working. Anyway, because Windows took your monitor as the plug'n'play default, and your monitor is a weirdo-one, she is suffering. You must atone to the gods of IT and sacrifice all your PayPal credit on small, head-bouncing Kupi dolls and ritually drown them in molasses (honey is okay for a substitute, but you'll have to add some nutmeg as compensation).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Will have to wait until the morning, my personal supply of head-bouncing Kupi dolls ran out sometime during last week.

Lots of honey around, though.

Some other people I've asked came to a similar conclusion about the frequency/resolution, and it looks like the most probable solution is to reinstall the OS system files with the LCD plugged in, so that the process picks it up right. It'll be a bother since I did a ton of post-install stuff to optimise it, but oh well.

That's what I was thinking. Just run the settings on yours and switch it. Safe mode, as meta mentioned, should work if it's a matter of resolution. Also, make sure you look at her monitor. What I'm getting from you is that the monitor works while the computer boots but displays an error message when Windows starts. I'd make sure she plugged it in properly and that there aren't any peculiar features on her monitor. You'd be amazed. Finally, unless money is really, really tight, monitors are pretty cheap nowadays.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sounds like a monitor driver issue, or lack of one for her monitor. If you can reconfigure the thing for standard VGA with a default PnP monitor it should fire up on her screen. Then she can install drivers for her monitor.

1. I'd bet the culprit is frequency; her LCD probably only has a limited number of legal frequencies, and could be only 50Hz, for example.

2. Don't forget the nutmeg for bathing Kewpie Dolls in honey. Or you might be able to sacrifice star fruit and custard apples with a giant plastic anime axe.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, I am going to try connecting the CRT first.

Went to a shop nearby, didn't have any in stock so I got some kiwifruit and cheap custard.

Well, I tried plugging in the CRT, setting it to 800x600 / 16colour, and that worked. However, even when I switch it to the LCD, the LCD can't handle anything higher.

I tried reinstalling the OS system files with the LCD plugged in, but the same issue; it just gets OOR at 1024x769, even though prior to format, thats the resolution that was always used.

There are no video card drivers in, of course, and the comp is just working of Default Plug 'n' Play monitor, so maybe that's the reason.

Now, to somehow divine what the damn video card is...

Well, after a long period of a process of elimination, I discovered the motherboard's model (from some weird stupid Chinese manufacturer whose website resembles a travel company's), and installed the onboard video card drivers. That seems to have done the trick, predictably.

Thanks people, now to burn those entrails in the open, suburban neighbourhood air.