The Founding of

Guard Dog

Excerpt:

CBS encamped 40 kids in an abandoned New Mexico ghost town for more than a month. The kids performed on camera for more than 14 hours at a stretch, seven days a week, making their own meals.

They were filming during the school year, yet no studio teachers were present. They were working on a major television production, yet no parents were on the set.

The show is CBS

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's appalling. They obviously knew what they were doing was basically illegal, and hijacked these kids for their sordid profit lust. I'd boycot the bastards but firstly I don't get CBS, and secondly I don't have a TV.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

and secondly I don't have a TV.

I think you are better off that way. All mine is good for is the NFL, NHL, the History Channel and DVDs.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I did, however, just recently discover Youtube.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

it would be really interesting to see what form of gov't they will work out... but if the kids arent like trustworthy that could be disastrous

"She was short, she was furry, she was loud, and she was determined to sell him a melon"- random passage from Spector of the Past by Timothy Zahn

Well, they'll be artificially restricted. So dictatorship will be woefully under-represented.

-Elwood Blues

The one who has the Conch will be in charge!

Thomas Sowell

I hate reality shows. I mean thats so unrealistic to begin with. I remember in elementary school we went on a field trip to this fish sanctuary in this "sub-city" that even now still has a bunch of desert around it. There was like 100 kids and 4 teachers, half of us went into the wilds and within about 10 minutes a kid had been bludgeoned in the face with a large stick and started bleeding and crying and stuff. It was so chaotic, it was so awesome. Ever since then I wished I would get stranded on an island or something so I could sneak around and kidnap people in the night and put them in a cave....

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Thats good slug,

But you do bring up a good point, anytime there are alot of kids around running a muck someone gets brained with a blunt object. I hope theres plenty of that on the show.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

wonder how much the kids got paid

I think $6k each.

Thomas Sowell

I think $6k each.

Explain that to me. If, as stated in the article, CBS had the set legally declared as a summer camp through a loophole, then I imagine the most they could do is waive the camp fees. Perhaps there were some under the table payoffs, but a summer camp does not pay kids to attend.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I think $6k each.

Explain that to me. If, as stated in the article, CBS had the set legally declared as a summer camp through a loophole, then I imagine the most they could do is waive the camp fees. Perhaps there were some under the table payoffs, but a summer camp does not pay kids to attend.

From the article:

Unlike summer camp, however, these kids were paid a $5,000 stipend for completing the production, along with lucrative "gold star" awards won during the shoot.

The summer-camp argument is similar to contract logic on some reality shows shot in a documentary style. There have been lawsuits by reality show participants that hinged on whether they were "employees" or not.

This whole concept seems to tread dangerously close to child labor to me. But then again, I will not watch it so at least I won't be rewarding them for doing so.

Thomas Sowell

A part of me secretly hopes that the kids will turn on each other, think "Lord of the Flies"-style, meaning that CBS will have to cancel crap like that.

An other part can't wait to see it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nuts to that. I hope the kids turn on CBS a la Jurassic Park.

-Elwood Blues

I am pleased that I am blissfully unaware of the many permutations of productions that have zero-budget and a bunch of attention-seekers, marketed under the "reality" banner. Just as zero-budget extras-in-old-curtains were a hallmark of the early SF tv, and laugh-tracks were a staple of previous generations' comedy shows, this too will pass into legend. And it can't come soon enough for me. (It will be interesting for future crops of sociology students to trawl through in their endeavours to grok the dynamics and ethics of the human social condition, though. I just don't want to watch it. With advertisements.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Screw this, it's all about PIRATE MASTER.

Worst. Show. Ever. Which is kinda surprising since its from the same guy that makes Survivor.

I agree, but it's like a train wreck, and I can't tear my eyes away from it.

I hate reality TV. Also I like to see CBS taken to court over this. This should be illegal if it is not.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"