Trainable jedi NPC discussion.

I'm sure this has been done to death, but what the hey. I can't get enough of talking about this game!

I've noticed that lightsabers are in very short supply until late in the game, particularly if you train everyone to be a jedi who can possibly be a jedi. Lately I've been thinking about making Mira into a "blaster jedi" (lots of blaster feats, plus Force Deflection [deflect blaster shots without a lightsaber]). Besides, Mira kind of stinks at close quarters combat anyway thanks to her low health. She has plenty of skill points, so you can pump her up with lots of Stealth and Demolitions for sneaking past the minefield outside the Tomb of Freedon Nad (I usually include her and two other trained jedi for the mission your main character doesn't participate in).

Atton also makes a good skills monkey if your main character is short on skills, and unlike Mira he does reasonably well at surviving close-quarters combat. Stick a lightsaber in his hands and use him to augment whatever skills you don't have. One of these days I'm going to try him out as a "blaster jedi" also, since he has lots and lots of dexterity.

Honestly, I don't like Bao-Dur as a jedi, even if he's really really good in the skills department. He can't handle close-quarters combat very well, which makes him pretty useless as a Jedi Guardian. You could stick a blaster in his hands and use him purely as a skills monkey, but unfortunately his starting dexterity is crap, so he's as useless with a blaster as he is with a lightsaber.

The Handmaiden is far and away one of the best combat NPCs you can bring with you. Before she becomes a jedi, she is really good at unarmed combat (which means one less piece of equipment to worry about), and after she becomes a jedi she turns into a holy terror, especially if you really bulk up her strength and give her lots of strength-enhancing equipment.

You forgot Disciple-He's in a strange position. Starting as a soldier he has enough feats to become a fairly good blaster or close combat fighter, and once trained he picks up enough FP and powers quickly enough to be helpful.

With Atton and Mira the trick/tip is to give them lightsabre finesse as quickly as you can. This dramatically increases their close combat potential with a lightsabre.

And yes, Bao-Dur does sort of suck. His Dex makes him next to useless with blasters and his inability to wear any of the jedi armours or robes leaves him with a low Armour rating, this is not helped by also being unable to wear heavy armour and having few starting feats. At higher levels he can be useful as a Jedi-his strength gives him the ability to do a lot of damage very fast......almost as much damage as he'll take against anything other than a Gizka.

Handmaiden rocks. Her starting stats are such that you can easilly use her with blasters almost as well as with a sabre/sword. Add to that the number of feats she gets as a soldier/guardan and you can turn her into a (Very hot) force of utter distruction very quickly.

I usually have Mira and Atton set with the "ranged" AI, LS finesse, Blaster Deflect, Jedi Defense, and dueling - Atton's usually maxed on Critical & Sniper and Mira on Flurry & Rapid - they're "Blaster Jedi" until something gets within melee range.

Handmaiden and Disciple are tanks - "jedi support" (or "aggressive" if Kreia's in the party), equipped with a lightsaber (double or dual wield for Handmaiden)

Bao-Dur, I usually don't convert until the very end (I don't bring him along enough to trigger the right influence), but he's not *all* that bad with fully upgraded (plating and regen) medium armor, dueling (which got maxed early to counter his crappy abilities), the biggest blaster rifle you can find, a single lightsaber, deflect and jedi defense, and set on "ranged".

I usually don't level up Handmaiden or Mira until they're ready to be converted - and sending Mira, Handmaiden, and Visas to the tomb of Freedon Nad is just too cool.

The trainable npc males (not bao) make the game too easy for a lightside female.....Just my random sentence =)

Oh, thank you so much for the chauvinistic comment, apploud! [sarcasm] Of course the NPC males are so much stronger than the female NPCs, despite the last few posts' lauding of the Hanmaiden -who happens to be one of the the best warriors in the game-, that they make the game to easy for female Exiles! Why didn't I see that before! Despite all of the supporting the opposing viewpoint, the female NPCs must be weaker than their male counterparts for, if they were not, they wouldn't have to stay home and dot he male Exile's laundry and dishes! What? They don't do that! Well, the developers must have made a mistake, for we all know women must be weak and inferior! [/sarcasm] :sorcerer:

Edit: You'll notice I didn't use any swear words this time... o:)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

You forgot Disciple-He's in a strange position. Starting as a soldier he has enough feats to become a fairly good blaster or close combat fighter, and once trained he picks up enough FP and powers quickly enough to be helpful.

With Atton and Mira the trick/tip is to give them lightsabre finesse as quickly as you can. This dramatically increases their close combat potential with a lightsabre.

And yes, Bao-Dur does sort of suck. His Dex makes him next to useless with blasters and his inability to wear any of the jedi armours or robes leaves him with a low Armour rating, this is not helped by also being unable to wear heavy armour and having few starting feats. At higher levels he can be useful as a Jedi-his strength gives him the ability to do a lot of damage very fast......almost as much damage as he'll take against anything other than a Gizka.

Handmaiden rocks. Her starting stats are such that you can easilly use her with blasters almost as well as with a sabre/sword. Add to that the number of feats she gets as a soldier/guardan and you can turn her into a (Very hot) force of utter distruction very quickly.

Oh, I do give them lightsaber finesse as soon as possible, but the problem with Mira is that she can't take hits. Perhaps in the future, I will give her fewer Dexterity points, throw the rest into strength, and give her some Zeison Sha armor (which limits dex bonus to +4). That will let me give her underlays for physical damage and regen. Maybe that will work. I still want to try her out as a "blaster jedi" though.

I've only recently started using Beo-Dur as an armored jedi. He doesn't get very many force power points anyway, so that seems to be working out for him. Eat your heart out Darth Bandon.

You really need to try the (pre-jedi) Handmaiden out as an unarmed combatant. She does amazing damage that way.

I found Bao-Dur and Atton to be some of the best lightsaber duelists if you tend to train them up (Well of course, goes without saying) But they were the two main jedified NPC's that I took along, Handmaiden obvious is by far the best with lightsaber and pretty much any close combat weapon. But I find that Bao-Dur is rather good when he becomes stronger oh and if you equip him with a double bladed lightsaber, and Atton on the other hand pretty much the same. When you first jedify them they are most definately the worst character ever and you dont want to take them everywhere, because they are border line jedi and their previous class, so if you rush into giving them lightsabers and such, they tend to suck with it.