X3 Reunion update

I don't know if anyone cares, but the atest update to this game looks fantastic. Finally we have a spaceship factory. Although sadly no 'evil mad scientist weapons factory.'

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That was witty and contextual.

You're right though, Freelancer rocked, but I would have loved several additional features to it, namely, the ability to step outside the 'lone trader' mindset and actually set up your own factories/traderoutes/shipyards and possibly finantial empire. Though this will no doubt change the dynamic of what is, on a mechanical level, a very fun game.

On the flip side, this is the mechanic that X3 seems to use, while lacking the 'ease of use' of Freelancers gameplay (for example, don't know about you, but I loved Freelancers autopilot).

Of course, I can make many of the same comments about Freelancer vs Eve.

This is to say, I would be very interested in a Freelancer 2, depending on what they decide to do with that franchise.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

X3 ruined me for all Space traders/shooters. If I can't bag myself a carrier and set myself up as a pirate lord then I won't be interested.

Freelancer didn't exactly rock my world but I wish that more space shooters used the same kind of mouse control as Freelancer did.

The X series got me when I discovered, like you, that I could build my own empire. There really is nothing like starting essentially as one of those dubious minicab drivers, and winding up in charge of an entire fleet, trading empire, and all round badass. Your business acumen and fighting skills _save the human race_.

Incidentally, the update lets you respray your ships. This is a serious thing for me. No use having your ships look the same as everyone else's.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I haven't played a space-trader game since Starflight 2. But I think I could get interested in similar games again. Although I'd prefer a game that's heavy on the "trading ignorant alien savages worthless beads in exchange for valuable intergalactic commodities" and lighter on the "blowin' stuff up."

Recommendations?

X3, definetly.

Freelancer is more of a fighter, sort of a hack'n'slash in space with a bias on factions rather than 'you against the world' and it has a trading element; piracy smuggling and allaround drudgery, but the main focus is still survival in space, instead of prospering via trade.

Also, Freelancer feels a bit spartan once you try the more modern privateer games. That said, nothing beats Freelancer online, nothing.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

X3, definetly.

Freelancer is more of a fighter, sort of a hack'n'slash in space with a bias on factions rather than 'you against the world' and it has a trading element; piracy smuggling and allaround drudgery, but the main focus is still survival in space, instead of prospering via trade.

Also, Freelancer feels a bit spartan once you try the more modern privateer games. That said, nothing beats Freelancer online, nothing.

EVE

...but then again, that costs cash per month

IB1OsQq.png

EVE, pffft.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That said, nothing beats Freelancer online, nothing.

Nothing beats Freelancer online, nothing. Not even Chuck Norris in space. In fact, the latest Freelancer wannabes (Darkstar One, Spaceforce 2) have specifically chosen *not* to incorporate a MP element 'cause they know they can't compete.

manthing2.jpg

Has anyone tried Spaceforce 2(or Rogue Universe) yet? Is it worth picking up or does it have the same problem that 99% of the easter european games have? That is, they aim high but end up hitting you in the nuts instead.

Has anyone tried Spaceforce 2(or Rogue Universe) yet? Is it worth picking up or does it have the same problem that 99% of the easter european games have? That is, they aim high but end up hitting you in the nuts instead.

1. Yes.

2. Yes, it does.

And as for documentation, you can forgedaboudit. It takes quite a mentally deranged person to allow you to have only one save game slot (accompanied with standard Eastern European saved-game corruption ratios) whilst placing the adjustment for the insanely horrendous default difficulty settings in the one place you wouldn't look - your friggin' inventory screen!

Nb: You can't access your inventory if there are boogies in the vicinity. Brilliant.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

I remember when you couldn't turn around without running into a new space game, either a explore, exploit, expand, exterminate game like MOO or a freewheeling sim like Privateer. Nowadays you don't see very many of them. Sad.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'd probably kill for a new space sim by the Wing Commander or Freespace guys, but the genre seems pretty dead at the moment.

The only straight space combat game i've seen recently is Square's 'Project Sylpeed' for the 360, which was pretty laughable.

Come on guys, my joystick is getting rusty.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)