Mass Effect hands-on impressions at E3

For those BIO-fans (or just action-RPG fans... or sci-fi fans...) who are eager for November to arrive:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/11/joystiq-...on-mass-effect/

Not too much new info, but I didn't know it was going to be quite so ....violent.

We also briefly used the "powers" that you'll access in the game, namely a sort of "force push" ability that can blast your opponents across the landscape, or sort of disembowel them and kill them on the spot. The aliens we tried it out on sprayed phosphorescent-white blood all over the ground in a Jackson Pollock pattern.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

It seems like they've added the same 'Grey'-filter as in Fahrenheit in order to increase the cinematic feel. A nice little touch there by Bioware.

But white blood? Boo!

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the ratcheted-up level of violence. I just visited the Bio-boards (for the first time in a VERY long time, actually), and some of the devs were talking about how Microsoft gave them the OK for the M rating from the very get-go.

And they got it too.

Mass Effect was rated Mature for violence, blood and gore, some partial nudity and some sexual themes.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the ratcheted-up level of violence. I just visited the Bio-boards (for the first time in a VERY long time, actually), and some of the devs were talking about how Microsoft gave them the OK for the M rating from the very get-go.

And they got it too.

Mass Effect was rated Mature for violence, blood and gore, some partial nudity and some sexual themes.

Sexual encounters between species? Screw Jack Bauer in space, my character will be a smooth-talking, William Shatner-look-a-like, seducing every alien as he travel the deep end of space. Or Zap Brannigan.

I also expect the character to able to scream 'KHAAAAN!' whenever possible.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

And they got it too.

Sexual encounters between species? Screw Jack Bauer in space, my character will be a smooth-talking, William Shatner-look-a-like, seducing every alien as he travel the deep end of space. Or Zap Brannigan.

I also expect the character to able to scream 'KHAAAAN!' whenever possible.

I'd settle for an ironic reading of "Rocket Man." :lol:

no FEAR 2 for me. :bat:

buh?

It begins after the concluding explosion of F.E.A.R. (so ignore the timeline Vivendi's faintly silly Extraction Point expansion pack)

CALLED IT!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

According to a secret source, this game will have b00bies shown which contributes to its 17+ rating. WOO HOO! Even more reason for this pervert to look forward to it!!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Dudes, Total Recall all over again.

More to the point of the thread, I'm looking forward to the game's release. I don't happen to think that 24 is such a bad show, and I never really expected Bioware to be heavy on hard-core roleplaying. As so many have pointed out, they never really have. I'd be happy for another deceptively linear epic in the Baldur's Gate mold.

And if they're going to show ****, they might as well have the game's enemies be something other than sentient robots. Why have nudity when you can have gore? Are they only releasing this game in Europe?

Edited by Pop

The more I hear about ME, the more impressed I am. Too bad I'll never get to try it. Unless a PC port is made. Best part of all, it is their own IP. They own it and I gather have full control over it.

I wonder who will be cast as Commander Shepphard when the movie starts pre production? :shifty:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

According to a secret source, this game will have b00bies shown which contributes to its 17+ rating. WOO HOO! Even more reason for this pervert to look forward to it!!

But are they man-boobies or real boobies? :sorcerer:

This game just gets better and better. Boobies, gore and the alpha-male-ish "Lead, follow, or get out of the way!"-attitude. This will certainly satisfy my 80's action needs. My love-interest will have to die nearing the end, leading to my Shephard going first blood on every alien bad-guy in space, with one-liners of course.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Oh, can my Shephard be like Brock Samson?

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Let's be serious now. Just because they mention "boobies" doesn't suddenly mean the game's destined for greatness!

It all depends of the quality of said boobies. Are we restricted to side-boob cleavage or does the nipple intend to make an appearance? Further, will there be ample opportunity to showcase the 360's latest boobie jiggles per second capabilities?

manthing2.jpg

//EDIT: Fixed the link

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Let's be serious now. Just because they mention "boobies" doesn't suddenly mean the game's destined for greatness!

It all depends of the quality of said boobies. Are we restricted to side-boob cleavage or does the nipple intend to make an appearance? Further, will there be ample opportunity to showcase the 360's latest boobie jiggles per second capabilities?

Weeeell, Bioware are from Canada, which means that they do not have the same attitude to boobies as their southern neighbors. Going from that, maybe the art director is from Quebec, where they speak French and have a more european look on nudity.....which means that we will not only see boobies, but in French style?! :sorcerer:

But ok, this is getting pretty silly, i better stop now.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Weeeell, Bioware are from Canada, which means that they do not have the same attitude to boobies as their southern neighbors. Going from that, maybe the art director is from Quebec, where they speak French and have a more european look on nudity.....which means that we will not only see boobies, but in French style?! :sorcerer:

You mean with like hairy armpits?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You mean with like hairy armpits?

No, no, no. That's just a rumor that the anti-french organizations spread in order to keep the american men within its borders. How do you make a passionate, femme fatale with a immoral view on sex uninteresting? Make her hygiene seem bad, make that armpit hair grow now! :)

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

restricted to side-boob cleavage

Volo's 'secret source' is actually some guy that emailed the ESRB and then posted their response on the ME forums. Here's the actual statement:

Thank you for contacting the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). We are always interested to hear from those who use the ratings, and appreciate your taking the time to contact us with your thoughts and comments.

The ESRB does its best to ensure that the rating process is meticulous and thorough. At least three specially trained raters review actual footage from each game submitted to the ESRB. The raters examine the game's most extreme content, evaluate its context and overall intensity, and use their own good judgment to recommend the rating they believe will be most helpful to consumers.

In the case of Mass Effect the raters determined that the M (Mature 17+) rating with content descriptors for Blood, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Violence was most appropriate. According to the publishers submission for Mass Effect, there are two non-interactive videos that depict a discreet love scene between the main character and his romantic love interests. Breast profiles can be seen during one of the videos. There is a scene in a bar where female characters wear thong underwear. This type of content is likely to have contributed to the rating and content descriptors ultimately assigned by the raters.

ESRB does its best to provide reliable information about a game's content, but we also encourage parents and all consumers to do their own independent research, via game packaging, websites, magazine reviews, and other sources, to see if a game is appropriate for their family. Ratings can only be a guide and we hope that you will continue to use the system.

We hope information is helpful, and thank you for writing.

Regards,

Entertainment Software Rating Board

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had