KOTOR 2 Crashing, please help

I have been playing KOTOR 2 for a long time with never a crash. I am currently nearing the end of the game.

I recently upgraded my video card from a Nvidia 6800 AGP to a Sapphire ATI x1950PRO AGP card. The card works fine in all other games (Oblivion, Half Life 2, etc), but KOTOR 2 keeps locking. It will lock up at random times, either while loading a game or playing a movie (which means it changes screen resolution). The game will lock when changing anti-aliasing and anisotropic filter settings before it even starts. Because I thought these features might have something to do with it, I turned everything off and it still locks. It is even harder to solve the problem when you have to reboot everytime you play the game. The card is running at stock speed (not OC'd). By the way, when I say lock, I mean I have to manually reset the computer each time.

There isn't much more to say. Obviously there is a problem with this video card and KOTOR 2 because the problem arose after the card was put in.

Oh, and I have the most recent version of KOTOR 2 and the most recent drivers for the video card. The card is installed correctly with all power connectors and runs at decent temperatures.

Anyone else have these problems or know of a solution?

System:

3.4 GHz P4 650 proc @ 3.56 GHz

2 GB ram DDR400

Sapphire X1950pro 256 MB DDR3 video card

P5S8VM MoBo

500 W PSu suitable for powering x1950 card

I have had a similar problem with games locking up without warning, and the problem was the graphics card. The only solution in my case was to change the card. You could try reinstalling KOTOR 2 and seeing if that helps, the uninstall program doesn't delete saved games unless you tell it to so even if it doesn't work you'll only have wasted some time.

• 4 months later...
I have been playing KOTOR 2 for a long time with never a crash. I am currently nearing the end of the game.

I recently upgraded my video card from a Nvidia 6800 AGP to a Sapphire ATI x1950PRO AGP card. The card works fine in all other games (Oblivion, Half Life 2, etc), but KOTOR 2 keeps locking. It will lock up at random times, either while loading a game or playing a movie (which means it changes screen resolution). The game will lock when changing anti-aliasing and anisotropic filter settings before it even starts. Because I thought these features might have something to do with it, I turned everything off and it still locks. It is even harder to solve the problem when you have to reboot everytime you play the game. The card is running at stock speed (not OC'd). By the way, when I say lock, I mean I have to manually reset the computer each time.

There isn't much more to say. Obviously there is a problem with this video card and KOTOR 2 because the problem arose after the card was put in.

Oh, and I have the most recent version of KOTOR 2 and the most recent drivers for the video card. The card is installed correctly with all power connectors and runs at decent temperatures.

Anyone else have these problems or know of a solution?

System:

3.4 GHz P4 650 proc @ 3.56 GHz

2 GB ram DDR400

Sapphire X1950pro 256 MB DDR3 video card

P5S8VM MoBo

500 W PSu suitable for powering x1950 card

Keywords: knights of the old republic 2 sith lords crash video card ati x1950 gt

Edited by wiscnukegrad