KOTOR 2 STARTUP ISSUES/CRASHING....PLEASE HELP!!!!

Ok here's the deal. Ive never had any problems with this game. Bought it for PC back in Feb. of this year and played it with no problems. Got alittle busy with my life and it collected dust till now. Went toplay it again and no problems still. Then I closed it and went to try to play it the next day and I get the infamous "Microsoft Need To Close" error. Here's the things I've done so far to try to correct my problem:

-update my video and operating system drivers

-update Kotor 2

-deleting and reinstalling (4 x's)

-3 days of online researching thru official websites, blogs and forums for help.

-bypassed the launcher and tried to start game str8 from the .exe file.

-turned off all spyware eliminators,firewall and antivirus as well as any other background program running.

I just cant seem to get past that damn error. Now everytime I uninstall and reinstall the game it allows me to play right after that but if I close the game and replay it then I get the error message. This has become very frustrating for me because Im a huge KOTOR fan. Hope anyone can help me with my problem. Here are my specs:

GRAPHICS SOFTWARE:

Driver Packaging Version 8.383-070613a-048640C-ATI

Catalyst

OK, strange one.

Try running scandisk after the games crashes-I know this can take forever, since you have to restart the PC under XP-but if the problem is a corrupted file somewhere scan disk *might* pick it up.

Run a program that will look for registry errors-Win mechanic is a free program you can download to do this.

Try cleaning your harddrive-it could be that your harddrive is almost full and loading then saveing KOTOR is enough to prevent K2 from using the disk space it needs. (click on my computer, right click on your main drive-normally drive C-then click on properties. You'll see 'disk clean up' next to the capasity pie chart of the drive. The tools tab at the top will allow you to run scan disk and defragmenter. I just mention this as not everyone bothers using these programs, so might not know where to find the programs are)

As a last resort you could try reinstalling windows-you shouldn't have to delete windows, just install over the top of it. The install program shouldn't delete anything except the original windows files-or in other words it shouldn't remove all your programs, and should automatically detect the drivers etc you allready have and use those. I do say *should* since windows can do the strangest things for no apparent reason. If the problem is with conflicting, missing or altered windows files that scandisk has missed (which it may well do, since it only looks for damaged files) then this *should* solve the problem. (Just remember to jot down all passwords, and internet adresses etc before you start, and it would be a good idea to make sure you have the disks for your more important programs close at hand just in case Windows doesn't add them to the start menu-for example details of your internet connection-like I keep saying it *should* be able to tell what programs are on the harddrive and add them, but it might not. You've been warned :lol: ) I've had the same type of problem of games not working after a while, or after reinstalling them, and found this helped solve the problem. (Not saying this would solve your problem for the record)

OK, strange one.

Try running scandisk after the games crashes-I know this can take forever, since you have to restart the PC under XP-but if the problem is a corrupted file somewhere scan disk *might* pick it up.

Run a program that will look for registry errors-Win mechanic is a free program you can download to do this.

Try cleaning your harddrive-it could be that your harddrive is almost full and loading then saveing KOTOR is enough to prevent K2 from using the disk space it needs. (click on my computer, right click on your main drive-normally drive C-then click on properties. You'll see 'disk clean up' next to the capasity pie chart of the drive. The tools tab at the top will allow you to run scan disk and defragmenter. I just mention this as not everyone bothers using these programs, so might not know where to find the programs are)

As a last resort you could try reinstalling windows-you shouldn't have to delete windows, just install over the top of it. The install program shouldn't delete anything except the original windows files-or in other words it shouldn't remove all your programs, and should automatically detect the drivers etc you allready have and use those. I do say *should* since windows can do the strangest things for no apparent reason. If the problem is with conflicting, missing or altered windows files that scandisk has missed (which it may well do, since it only looks for damaged files) then this *should* solve the problem. (Just remember to jot down all passwords, and internet adresses etc before you start, and it would be a good idea to make sure you have the disks for your more important programs close at hand just in case Windows doesn't add them to the start menu-for example details of your internet connection-like I keep saying it *should* be able to tell what programs are on the harddrive and add them, but it might not. You've been warned ;) ) I've had the same type of problem of games not working after a while, or after reinstalling them, and found this helped solve the problem. (Not saying this would solve your problem for the record)

I've tried everything u suggested except reinstalling windows. I have plenty of harddrive space and already scandisked and defragmented my harddrives. I'll give the last resort a shot but I'm thinking it has something to do with my video card. Ive been researching over the net with ATI Radeon cards and KOTOR and they seem to not like eachother. But thanks for the thorough help. If anybody has any other suggestions then a helping hand is always appreciated. Thanx again.

Yeah, Radon cards really don't like KOTOR much which is why I avoid them. Have you tried looking on Lucasarts message boards? There is a whole section for KOTOR, including technical problems so there might be something useful on there, if not you can always ask.

Yeah, Radon cards really don't like KOTOR much which is why I avoid them. Have you tried looking on Lucasarts message boards? There is a whole section for KOTOR, including technical problems so there might be something useful on there, if not you can always ask.

No I haven't yet. Ill check it out. Thx alot

No I haven't yet. Ill check it out. Thx alot

This game is probably the buggiest I've ever played. And I have nothing but trouble with it since I'm running a Radeon vid card. I think this game was made in 2005. Plenty of time to address the Radeon issue.

I think 80% of people either have an ATI or an NVidia card. You would think they would build a game accordingly, almost everyone else does. It tells me LucasArts or Obsidian got their pockets lined from NVidia to make the game exclusively. CSome folks actually buys their video cards one way because of this, I'm sure lot's of others do to. And Obsidian and/or LucasArts knew this would be so.

I think 80% of people either have an ATI or an NVidia card. You would think they would build a game accordingly, almost everyone else does. It tells me LucasArts or Obsidian got their pockets lined from NVidia to make the game exclusively.

It is, therefore, ironic that Nvidea cards can suffer from Lag issues on Dantooine.....(Not that I'm agreeing with the comment about LA getting their pockets lined)

• 2 months later...

Hello all!

I have the sameproblem aswhell,alltho i know how to fix it. You cant fix it permanently but what you can do is to remove swkotor2.ini every time you whant to play, when you remove that file the game will reset all settings(graphical) so the only ting you need 2 do when you get in the game is to set ure graphics settings and then play!!! Time: Approx: 30sek.

Finnaly NO REINSTALLING EATCH TIME !!!

:huh: