What game would you rather see Obsidian work on

Gorth

Where should they make some effort to get signed up  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Franchise

• Warhammer 40.000 (in the vein of "Necromunda" or "Inquisitor")
    • Bladerunner (untapped potential)
    • Cyberpunk (havent seen a good one since Bloodnet)
    • Generic Post Apocalyptic Game (Who needs Fallout anyway)
    • Star Wars (Kotor3?/Other?)
    • Baldurs Gate 3 (running on ToEE engine?)
    • Vampire Something (I could use another VMBL)
    • Other (specify)

I don't know about all the particulars, but a good Call of Cthulu CRPG would be very nice. In fact, I think Lovecraft's universe is more compelling than his actual writing.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Lovecraft couldn't write for ****, especially dialogue. He was the George Lucas of his day, writing conversations that made it blaringly obvious that the author had very little experience with them. All of the best mythos stuff was penned by friends and contemporaries. The Great Old Ones wikipedia page is quite entertaining.

I like Lovecraft. His powers of description and warped imagination are something few other authors I've read have even neared. The way most of his stories are written, there isn't much dialogue and it isn't really needed.

I'd agree that his descriptive writing is pretty good, but that was out of necessity, to make up for the lack of meaningful dialogue. Had he not his powers of description his actual writing (as opposed to world-building) would be beyond salvage. I still prefer Derleth, mostly. I need to branch out farther and farther away from that nucleus of mythos writers.

Cyberpunk is a science fiction genre noted for its focus on "high tech and low life". Its name was originally developed as a marketing term and coined by Bruce Bethke in his short story “Cyberpunk” written in 1980, but popularized well before its publication by editor Gardner Dozois. Its name is a portmanteau of cybernetics and punk. It features advanced science such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or a radical change in the social order. According to Lawrence Person:

"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body."[1]

Cyberpunk plots often center on a conflict among hackers, artificial intelligences, and mega corporations. They tend to be set in a near-future Earth, rather than the far future settings or galactic vistas found in novels like Isaac Asimov's Foundation or Frank Herbert's Dune. The settings are usually post-industrial dystopias, but tend to be marked by extraordinary cultural ferment and the use of technology in ways never anticipated by its creators ("the street finds its own uses for things"[2]). Much of the genre's atmosphere echoes film noir, and written works in the genre often use techniques from detective fiction.

i ( like many others) have been dying for a kotor3. and if they can get a decent plot i wouldnt mind them doing it. idk if i like bioware more. but i hope it comes out for regular xbox...

No chance. Xbox 360 and PC I bet. That is if K3 will be made before next gen.

I wasn't aware KOTOR was a trilogy. Or are all Star Wars properties parts of trilogies?

Nearly all, yes.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I wasn't aware KOTOR was a trilogy. Or are all Star Wars properties parts of trilogies?

Not all. And KOTOR won't be a trilogy until (and if) KOTOR 3 is made.

Nearly all, yes.

Not nearly all. Most aren't.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

o_rly.jpg

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Let the dead bird rest in peace.

ORLYOWL NEVER DIES!

Still, O RLY?

Still, O RLY?

Bad Fin. Down.

You're dodging my question :lol:

You're dodging my question :*

YA RLY!

They do.

There are days where I hate democracy more than others. Why can't people vote the way I want them to?

Maybe I should have limited the options :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You're dodging my question :lol:

I do not recognize overused internet catchphrases as actual questions.

*results may vary

You're playing hard to get.

Show me proof that most Star Wars stuff isn't in trilogies :lol:

You're playing hard to get.

Show me proof that most Star Wars stuff isn't in trilogies :lol:

Games:

Dark Forces (4 games in series, 1 Dark Forces, 3 Jedi Knight + 1 expansion) Jedi Knight could qualify as a trilogy.

Shadows of the Empire (1 game)

Star Wars Lego (2 games)

X-Wing (4 games)

Rebel Assault (2 games)

Galactic Battlegrounds (1 game + 1 expansion)

Starfighter (2 games)

Battlefront (2 games + 1 PSP only expansion)

Empire at War (1 game + 1 expansion)

The entire list under other: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_...deo_games#Other

Heck, practically every game on that page.

Books:

Too many to list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

Some are trilogies, most aren't. Most are singles.

Edited by Tale

Bah.

I guess I've concentrated too much post-RotJ stuff, especially those books from Thrawn trilogy to NJO books tend to be trilogies.

Hmm, I'd love to see an edgy more modern rpg set in the late 80's/early 90's, with a jagged alliance/resevoir dogs/desperado sort of atmosphere. With turn based combat. Maybe where you have foriegn language skills and multiple social/dialog skills to utilize in an intense political situation with China and the USSR. That would rock.

OR

Journey To The Centre of Arcanum

Obsidian is pretty good at doing sequels, I guess, except that this would be a series that I actually care about. Plus, that name is quite obviously the best name for a game evar.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...or something like it. Think about a cRPG gameworld where all of the world's Victorian and Gothic adventure literature exists in one reality, where the player can design his own classical fiction type character with a top hat and monocle and have a party consisting of Rocambole, Lord Ruthven, Frankenstein's monster, the Time Traveler, and Dr. Van Hellsing.

Edited by Aram

Excellent ideas people, keep 'em coming :verymad:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy