Sega and GPG announce Space Siege

I hated Dungeon Siege.

I hated Space Hack too, and Space Siege sounds a lot like that as well.

The cheeky bastards should stop trying to pollute space with crappy hack-n-slashers, and use it for what's it's meant for...Space Sims!*

*now with RPG elements.

manthing2.jpg

That was really underwhelming. Did the Dungeon Siege series sell enough to warrant a this kind of game?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Gaspowered Games has also revealed their next game, Demigod. http://www.gaspowered.com/demigod/

They're also going to self-publish it.

I must say, this one stimulates a little my interest for a change.

PS: It's also going to take place in a futuristic fantasy setting! I wonder what the Kaft thinks about that....Heh.

Edited by Morgoth

Even the main guy on the screenshots looks like Shepard.

No he doesn't. I mean, not in the way you're meaning. It's only similar in the sense that it's a gerneric looking human male with short hair.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 was many things but I wouldn't say it could ever be considered to be a leader in regards to gameplay innovation.

That said! While a hardend RPG fan may indeed scowl and look at DS as being perhaps exactly what RPG's should not be, that of an endless uninvolving hack and slash with little to no story, no role playing, and well no anything other than loot and killing and perhaps the odd seemingly pointless and dull quest with innately dull and unchallenging gameplay. I believe it is fair to say that it fills a rather nice gap in the market, its a very nice entry level game.

The gameplay itself is simple, the mechanics easy enough for a newbie gamer to grasp on their first outing, and what story there is is perhaps enough to communicate the general idea of an CRPG.

While I am fairly impartial to DS, I've played both, and enjoied what little worth exists in both single and multiplayer(which is infact alot of fun over LAN).

I can note that as an entry level game, for new gamers (and I'm talking total n00bs here, folk who've never been near a game, not just never been near an CRPG) it does a very very good job as a simple introduction, a game such as those based upon TES or D&D can be overwhelming for this kind of n00b, all the rules, the classes, the general combat... etc... Are more than enough to put a person off playing said games all togeather.

So while DS should be slated for its weak points, I don't think it ever pretended to be on a level with the kind of CRPG's we all love to play.

Now what can be said about DS is mostly technical, the engine was upon release innovative, it was certainly the first game I am aware of to have an engine that streamed the level via clever cache'in techniques. Also the GFX engine was certainly good considering the comparitive releases at the time, the game looked more natural than NWN's and the effects engine was certainly better than both NWN's and Morrowind.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I am not impressed.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I never really liked DS 1 or 2 they were ok but nothing amazing, Regardless I'm slighty more interested in Space Siege because its SiFi but from what I've seen it looks pretty bland.

As it is still in its pre alpha state I'll give it the benifit of the doubt for now.

Dungeon Siege 1 was awesome beautiful. But it got really boring after you got over that. It didn't do either hack and slash or RPG very well.

Dungeon Siege 2 wasn't as beautiful as Dungeon Siege 2, IMO, which pissed me off. Still, it looked ok. I had better combat elements and was much more RPGish than DS1. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but it wasn't replayable.

I looked forward to Space Siege and Demigod, because GPG has proven that they can listen to fan feedback and use it to improve their games.

Everyone talks about how SS2 with coop is awesome, so I'm not sure that's true.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dungeons Siege in space. See, Fantasy IS on its way out people.

p.s

I hated DS so much i threw it away.. I didnt sell it, didnt trad it, i threw it in the bin

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Everyone talks about how SS2 with coop is awesome, so I'm not sure that's true.

Really? I've never heard anybody say so, and nobody has been interested enough in System Shock 2 to try it with me.

Hmm, I'll try and get my friend to do it with me. Could be fun. :)

I'll change my mind into a much more favourable tone if the game has an awesome coop.

DS1 had fairly enjoyable coop, but the unbalanced class/leveling system took away from it somewhat.

DS2 apparently had quite good coop, which is no suprise, since it's essentally Diablo 2 (which is only really worth playing coop, and quite a lot fo fun for it).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)