Is Christmas religious to you?

As religious holidays go, Christmas is pretty low key. There is just a 1 in 365 chance that Dec 25 is actually the anniversary of the birth of Christ. But it is important to pick a day to celebrate the fact that it happened. Yes I know some of you atheists and agnostics and miscellaneous others clenching your fists at what I just said. Jesus of Nazareth is a historical fact. Now the significance of him is left up to what you believe but you cannot deny the man existed. But, since I got divorced, I don't really celebrate beyond getting presents for my dogs.

To me Easter is much more important because that celebrates the event that actually makes Christianity what it is. Or at least what is should be.

Thats my $.02

I don't see why it is important. The original purpose of placing it on 25th of December wasn't to celebrate the birth of Jesus but to have a Christian holiday by the winter solstice so they have an easier time to convert the pagans who venerate the day. The same reason why the early Christian organization started to venerate Mary, to take over the worship of the pagan goddess Diana. It is why Easter is always after, a week after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

Christian holidays are just usurped Pagan holidays and therefore meaningless.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Christian holidays, like any other dates, have whatever meaning people want to give them. Whether the dates were originally pagan holidays or not, is besides the point.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Christian holidays, like any other dates, have whatever meaning people want to give them. Whether the dates were originally pagan holidays or not, is besides the point.

I disagree. The motivation behind these holidays was not to celebrate the birth or crucification of Jesus, but to get more followers. The motivation behind a celebration gives the meaning for such events.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I think age also plays a role. Older people may have a more religious sense of the holiday because they were brought up that way, and Christmas was (probably) more religious for people 25 years ago then it is today. The first Christmas I remember is the same Christmas that I got my Nintendo 64. I look at Christmas as a time for gifts, not really religion. But now I feel bad about saying that. Sorry God.

It's cool Krook. We'll settle it at your reckoning.

I'm thinking that's Kor. But maybe not.

It's God, you silly ;)

Oh well, Christmas never was christian to begin with

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I disagree. The motivation behind these holidays was not to celebrate the birth or crucification of Jesus, but to get more followers. The motivation behind a celebration gives the meaning for such events.

The motivation behind the original celebration does not give meaning to the motivation behind the contemporary. Over time things change. The longer the time, the more the change.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Christmas has always been Christian. Now, Yule on the other hand...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yep. The original motivation was to build up followers and eliminate the Pagan beliefs. Now, its all about the money and material wealth, consumerism.

Christmas has always been Christian. Now, Yule on the other hand...

Well excuse me for not remembering the original pagan name :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Hah.

Well, of course the midwinter celebation has a different name in every culture. Christmas is just so widespread(most of it thanks to Coke) that it's easier to wedge that template in place of your traditional winter celebration. Why bother with traditions, when you can just shove your kids with gifts and faux-western food. They pick the template up in tv anyway and you have work to do ffs!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I don't see why it being a made up holiday is a problem. If I declared tomorrow Hawaii 5-0 day, and we all had to sleep with hot blonde women and drive fast cars, would you care?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't see why it is important. The original purpose of placing it on 25th of December wasn't to celebrate the birth of Jesus but to have a Christian holiday by the winter solstice so they have an easier time to convert the pagans who venerate the day. The same reason why the early Christian organization started to venerate Mary, to take over the worship of the pagan goddess Diana. It is why Easter is always after, a week after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

Christian holidays are just usurped Pagan holidays and therefore meaningless.

Actually, I remember reading somewhere that Christian holidays were timed to coincide with Roman holidays as a measure of protection from persecution. I guess the Roman got suspicious when people were celebrating when there was no official holiday. Not sure if that is true but it is plausable. Your theory makes sense too. Did not know that bit about Mary/Diana though, pretty interesting. Im not Catholic and the Protestant faiths do not venerate Mary though. I'm Baptist.

But my anwwer about Christmans applies to Easter as well. If you believe in the significance of the event pick a day to celebrate it. That it is probably not THE day it happened should not be a show stopper.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't see why it being a made up holiday is a problem. If I declared tomorrow Hawaii 5-0 day, and we all had to sleep with hot blonde women and drive fast cars, would you care?

I would care, because it would turn into people bothering me for not having a fast car and hot girlfriend. And then the postcards... oh god, the postcards.

Did you know that the notion that Mary should be considered the mother of God was decided in a council held at Ephesus, the home of the Temple of Artemis?

Heja Sverige!!

Yep. And Diana is the Roman name for the greek goddess Artemis.

Exactly.

Heja Sverige!!

Did you know that the notion that Mary should be considered the mother of God was decided in a council held at Ephesus, the home of the Temple of Artemis?

I thought it was decided at the Ravenite diner in Manhattan

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I thought it was decided at the Ravenite diner in Manhattan

Nope. That is where they decided that Peter would have worn Prada instead of Tommy Hillfinger.

Satan is Prometheus. Y'know... since we're all making comparisons.

The Ravenite was where the apostles used to play cards. When they weren't shooting people.

-Elwood Blues

I think age also plays a role. Older people may have a more religious sense of the holiday because they were brought up that way, and Christmas was (probably) more religious for people 25 years ago then it is today. The first Christmas I remember is the same Christmas that I got my Nintendo 64. I look at Christmas as a time for gifts, not really religion. But now I feel bad about saying that. Sorry God.

Im pretty young actually very young. Well not to young lol and me and my family highly believe in this.

I pitty the fool who don't have the force.

that is sooo not true :o

I pitty the fool who don't have the force.

I agree, Christmas was created to eliminate old paganic winter celebrations (and without pissing people off by giving same party back with makeover), not to get more followers.

Edited by Xard

that is sooo not true :down:

Read up on your history.

that is sooo not true :down:

Read up on your history.

It's not history, your statement of "motivation behind a celebration gives meaning to the event" is highly debatable. Do you think poor folks care that rich folks use charity as a tax write-off? No, they are just happy to have charity. It's way more complex than you are making it, and the fact is the motivation of setting December 25th as the birth of Christ is so far removed that it has little meaning.