Ironic isn't it?

Guest Jy Kon Star

Guest Jy Kon Star

There was a time when people belived that the world was flat & if you went to far out to sea you would fall of the face of the Earth into space & at the sametime belived the sun went around the Earth as well. It turns out it is all true as more & more gamers in RPGs that have day pass to night & back are convinsed at least superfishaly that thay are on some far of world like there own previce one where thay spend most of there time beliving that the Earth is a spher & the Earth gos aroud the sun until thay actully fall throu the map & see for there own eye's that the world is flat you can fall off it into space & the hole time the sun is going around it...(Stupid Scientist) :sorcerer:

That's not ironic at all. I'm not sure what that is.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Eh? What are you talking about?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

WTF?

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.

Its like Rain, on you Wedding Day?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Hey, ENglish may not be his native language but still, if youare going to post on an English website one should get the basics down.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Hey, ENglish may not be his native language but still, if youare going to post on an English website one should get the basics down.

That's not because of esl. He shows to have the language down. He does have mispellings, but he's abusing symbols (ampersand, most specifically) and I see no glaring issues with word order. He may be esl, but that's not the origin of the issue. The run on sentence is the most problematic, something that's not particularly used in any language I've heard of. But my knowledgebase is limited for that.

His mispelling of superficially shows an understanding of english phonetics, but not the actual word itself. He also uses phrases I would think to be uncommon among those who have insufficient knowledge of english "as well" "face of the earth."

Edited by Tale

That's not because of esl. He shows to have the language down. He does have mispellings, but he's abusing symbols (ampersand, most specifically) and I see no glaring issues with word order. He may be esl, but that's not the origin of the issue. The run on sentence is the most problematic, something that's not particularly used in any language I've heard of. But my knowledgebase is limited for that.

His mispelling of superficially shows an understanding of english phonetics, but not the actual word itself. He also uses phrases I would think to be uncommon among those who have insufficient knowledge of english "as well" "face of the earth."

Tale, you should be a teacher. You are spot on in your prognosis. My guess is this kid is about 12 years old and thinks the internet is a place where he doesn't need to practice proper grammar. I'm guessing this based on the fact he knows the term irony but hasn't mastered the concept, and knows the historical concept of a flat world in a limited fashion.

Irony is actually a fairly complex concept. It is often confused with unfortunate circumstances and very few students I have encountered really get it until they reach High School.

If esl was recognisable, there would be language transfer present, some elements that are recognisable as foreign syntax forms or perceived forms. As there's none and as the run on sentence is a pretty familiar among lazy internet people, I'd say we got a regular juvenile here, some teen who can't be bothered with correct structures.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I won't say he's 12. I was 19 myself before I stopped typing in ALL CAPS. Which is telling about me a bit.

In general, I'd only guess he's relatively new to the internet, or at least message boards/chat. And the only reason I say that is if he'd been around message boards for a while, he would have been conditioned to communicate a little more clearly. Let's not be too presumptuous. Also, he's a fan of KOTOR.

So, welcome! Try to work on the communication skills and try to forgive us for being so critical.

You are right, as it often is. I never even considered how much it takes to get used to Teh Intternets, netiquette mores and all.

Yeah, sorry Jy Kon. Go on.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think the original poster is saying that in a crpg the world is flat, but with the illusion of being a sphere.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Hey! Is this any way to welcome a new member? ;)

I think it's an interesting observation. The concept of a universally accepted truth which turns out to be completely wrong is quite powerful. You may remember me mentioning the concept of a 'Tonypandy' where historical events are twisted by folklore until they are utterly different from the facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonypandy_Riot

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The concept of a universally accepted truth which turns out to be completely wrong is quite powerful.

Like thinking Hades will quit gaming forever? ;)

Seriously, I think it's an interesting topic as well. Reminds me of that quote from Men In Black. "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Everything they've ever "known" has been proven to be wrong. A thousand years ago everybody knew as a fact, that the earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on it. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

Never hurts to keep an open mind about the things you read or hear about, or to challenge accepted "truths" if you can back up your claims.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Thread pruned.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think he's trying to make an analogy between people thinking the Earth is flat, and people getting to wrapped up in a game's world.

Why this is ironic, I don't know.

By God, you're right! An even more interesting notion. Although I'd have thought the more obvious shift is that in RPGs you get powers from being religious like shooting lightning from your fingers.

-Elwood Blues

Guest Jy Kon Star
I think he's trying to make an analogy between people thinking the Earth is flat, and people getting to wrapped up in a game's world.

Why this is ironic, I don't know.

Bingo. It is Ironic because what people in the past thought to be fact wasn't, reguarding the Earth, Sun Or Being the center of the Univers to the point it got some Scientist who descovered the truth burned at the stake. While the opposite is true at least meddaforicly for this people playing more posificly MMORGs online to the point thay kill them selfs because there hole life was built around that world & when like they lost all there eqipment, weapons, & even there characters finlly thay just had no grip on the reality around them at that point & even further example is people I know neglect there children, wives & even the conceped of taking out the trash. So you can now see that even though thay think the world in witch thay live in, is the same as the world thay lived in befor where the Earth is a sphere the Earth gos around the Sun & the Earth is not the center of the Galixie untile thay incounter some bug that sends them falling through the maps, as thay fall through space thay can now see that there world is flat & the sun dose go around the planet or world thay now live. While at the sametime the MMORG they are comsumed by has infact become the center of there galixie...