How much have you changed?

Walsingham

I'm interested in how much people's discussion in WoT have changed their views on certain issues. That is, how frangible our opinions are.

I can only think of two examples.

1. Religion - I've become far more tolerant of people who express faith, through arguing their corner against harsh critics.

2. Republicans - I've decided both US parties are equally stinky. The choice at present seems to me whether you want to get robbed by Moriarty or by those guys from the Home Alone movies. You're still funted either way, but it's a question of tone.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The only thing Ive learned is that cynisism never goes out of fashion.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I haven't changed my views on religion and particularly Christianity for about 26 years. My view on the Republicans haven't changed because of these forums but because of Bush's actions really opened my eyes to what the Republicans are all about. I will not vote Republican because I look at their views on stem cell research, their values on equal rights, and the such and I find that they are completely and totally opposite in what I believe in most cases. They two issues I agree with most Republicans are issues of the Death Penalty and Immigration and that is about it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

But don't you think it's healthy for one's views to sometimes change?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Of course, such as Republicans, well most of them if not all, change their views on homosexuality and let them have equal rights as heterosexuals would definitely be a good thing. If the Democrats have stronger views of eliminating illegal immigration, that would be a good thing to.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Just not your views then? :sorcerer:

-Elwood Blues

Well, not because of WoT. :sorcerer:

1. Atheists are fun, I guess I've learned that.

2. I have actually developed a tolerance for shadiness in politics and now act as if it is a natural part, not a exactly a vital part, but pretty irredeemable in our system. That said, both parties have their share of bad air. I used to think, way back, of Republicans as nothing but gun-toting Texans and now treat both parties as equals, so I guess you could call that change.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Changed? Not much really. Perhaps there is some truth in the saying, that you can't teach old dogs new tricks :blink:

If anything, WoT amuses me in a way that no tabloid paper, no reality show, no nothing else could. Observing people, reading, sometimes sniggering at the follies, sometimes just offering my monitor an amused smile. I raise an eyebrow every now and then when seeing people losing their temper over things I would consider trivial of perceived insults from people I would consider unworthy of even getting upset about.

I watch cultural differences, comparative ethical values, world news that I wouldn't go hunting for on my own and learn some interesting trivia at least once on every visit. My only regret is, that I can't really dedicate any real effort to participating in most of the discussions. Just jumping in and out of threads, reading bits here and there and on rare occasions post something more than a single line.

If anything, WoT has reinforced my biases, prejudices and what is most likely misconceptions, not changed anything. A pox upon you WoT! :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My vies have really only changed in one regard. Climate change. I now fully accept that there is likely additional factors aside from rising pollution and carbon emissions, with the possibility that these additional factors are more significant factors.

My feelings about religion have not changed. I parted with Christianity because of a difference in philosophy. I feel that place of birth and indocrination should not be contributing factors towards eternal torment. I still believe Christianity fully disagrees with me on this point. However, I've never believed poorly of its followers in general nor in the purpose it serves in their lives.

I'd also still like to see Atheism as a religion get greater public exposure and that has not changed. Many people still view it as an absence of belief or faith, while for many (but not all) atheists, it is a system of belief and faith. WoT here, as well as other forums, delight me in revealing that we're not as uncommon as is traditionally percieved.

My feelings about politics have not significantly changed. I am still apathetic to parties and dislike the party system by principle. My feelings to politics in general is still mostly apathetic. I accept, as with many things, that I do not know as much as I should to form an opinion. Though my feelings on all subjects I feel competent to form an opinion have not changed. IE abortion, violent media

My faith in humanity is still in rapid flux. Individuals like Meta and Walsh tempt me to improve it, however others flaunt a very proud ignorance which sets me back to where I started. A cumulative effect may be causing a general lowering, but my field of education encourages more of an understanding than a blanket summary.

I still believe there are no girls on the internet. With one possible exception. The presence of only one exception does not encourage me to change my rule as it is surely a fluke which will be rectified on its own with time.

1. Atheists are fun, I guess I've learned that.

*hi-five*

I've always wanted to open up an atheist church. Which basically means coffee shop, arcade, and movie theatre with tax exempt status. You're invited for the Grand Opening.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Cool. Can I bring a chocolate sculpture of Jesus? It's state-approved.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Chocolate covered Jesus waffers. Hmmmmm....

*munch munch munch*

HEY! Pass over the wine!

*munch munch munch*

Is it anatomically correct?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

As much as an image of Son of Man can be.

kirottu said:

2. Republicans - I've decided both US parties are equally stinky. The choice at present seems to me whether you want to get robbed by Moriarty or by those guys from the Home Alone movies. You're still funted either way, but it's a question of tone.

You are a wise man Wals! :facepalm:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have actually developed a tolerance for shadiness in politics and now act as if it is a natural part, not a exactly a vital part, but pretty irredeemable in our system. That said, both parties have their share of bad air. I used to think, way back, of Republicans as nothing but gun-toting Texans and now treat both parties as equals, so I guess you could call that change.

You are a wise man Musopticon :thumbsup:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My vies have really only changed in one regard. Climate change. I now fully accept that there is likely additional factors aside from rising pollution and carbon emissions, with the possibility that these additional factors are more significant factors.

My feelings about politics have not significantly changed. I am still apathetic to parties and dislike the party system by principle. My feelings to politics in general is still mostly apathetic. I accept, as with many things, that I do not know as much as I should to form an opinion. Though my feelings on all subjects I feel competent to form an opinion have not changed. IE abortion, violent media

My faith in humanity is still in rapid flux. Individuals like Meta and Walsh tempt me to improve it, however others flaunt a very proud ignorance which sets me back to where I started. A cumulative effect may be causing a general lowering, but my field of education encourages more of an understanding than a blanket summary.

I still believe there are no girls on the internet. With one possible exception. The presence of only one exception does not encourage me to change my rule as it is surely a fluke which will be rectified on its own with time.

You are a wise man Tale, and you have the coolest avatar. :thumbsup:

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of the internet as a whole, and not just here, I used to think that me and other athiests had common ground and that I would like them. As it turns out, I have come to dislike most of the athiests I have met, because they were usually always jerks and really annoying.

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I've not changed any of my views according to what I've read in forums like these, and I generally avoid posting in religion/politics threads because nothing ever comes of it. On the other hand, I'll discuss religion and whatnot in person, like with someone at work, if the topic arises. It's easier for me to communicate in person, and to know if I'm irritating someone and should shut up. :thumbsup:

I don't know what I've learned. Probably as much from the internet as from the world at large. That is to say, very little.

I've also learned that I tend to like and trust some atheists quite a bit, like Gorth. Even when he's making fun of me.

I've also learned that pixies doesn't answer his damned PMs.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i dont know what ive learned. when i was younger i would get offended pretty easily. im kindof sensitive. so the net has toughened me some.

as for politics.... grrr... theyre mostly all money hungry tyrants owned by the drug companies or theyre stupic, or completely powerless. im starting my own political party called goldturtle fish

"She was short, she was furry, she was loud, and she was determined to sell him a melon"- random passage from Spector of the Past by Timothy Zahn

I've chilled out a whole lot about pretty much everything. Really, it's pretty hard to get me riled up about anything. I think the series of agonizing, torturous, near-death experiences did that though. My opinions are still mostly the same, but I have, after years of self debate, decided real world weaponry wouldn't necessarily make Fallout any better or worse. I also think the war in Iraq was one of the stupidest ideas ever conceived, but that's natural these days.

In contrast, I bet that Yakroon guy has blown himself up by now.

I have learned that most Internet-fights don't start by people having radically different views on life and politics, it's more in terms of failure to communicate properly due to cultural differences and difficulties expressing yourself properly as well.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy