better PCs

Walsingham

Having decided I like my new (ish) PC I was thinking that it would be cool if PCs came in something other than a straight box. I know it's functional, but it doesn't feel right to have such a critical item so functional. My first thought was something the shape of a hood spoiler on a racing car. All fins and towers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You could mod your case to look like that, Walsh. It isn't even that hard.

Really? Like comparatively speaking how hard?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Too hard for me to take the time to do, but not so hard I couldn't imagine it. I'm SURE you'll get some thought from folks. I see Joseph in here now. If not, I'll get my brother in law to give you some pointers. He does this stuff all the time.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I thought about building a rustic case out of wood, just for laughs, but haven't actually done it yet. I'm pretty sure it would be quieter than a standard case, especially if I used a softer wood like pine. Could use hinges and a latch for the side panel. :)

mine's down below my desk, and i normally turn off the lights in my man cave when i'm pooting, so any aesthetics would be a waste of money. my wife and son both have theirs in a cabinet of sorts (the son's is actually in a closed cabinet, ventilated on the back-side), so it would be a waste for them as well.

i'm not too sure about a wood cabinet. might have strange static issues... dunno, since wood is not something i've ever researched for any kind of case, PC or otherwise. certainly grounding yourself to the case prior to working on it wouldn't be possible.

personally, i want a more functional case. i have yet to meet one that i really like. getting the door off is always a pain, and working inside them is not a lot of fun, either. i've spent a lot of time poking around in VME/VXS chassis as well, and that's not much of a picnic either, so i guess i shouldn't be too upset.

taks

NOTE: VME stands for VERSAmodule Eurocard bus, and VXS is VMEbus Switched Serial, both of which dominate the embedded processing market for government type signal processing systems.

comrade taks... just because.

Taks, that was partly my point. If you imagine a sort of angel shaped arrangement then it would be a lot easier to get around.

The wood case attracts me because I like wood. If any of you have ever seen a stradivarius you'll know what I mean. I also wonder whether there wold be any static issues with using amber for decoration, as I was listening to a documentary about the 'amber room' in the Summer Palace and it struck me as gorgeous.

-Elwood Blues

Dry wood doesn't conduct electricity so I'm guessing you'd have to run wires to connect the grounds of the various hardware components. That way you could ground yourself by opening the case and touching the power supply shell. I'm sure if it was well done, a wooden computer case could look very nice.

There's also the matter of rock. Ever see a nice looking granite countertop? Really, a computer case could be made from many things, not just metal and plastic.

Edited by Wistrik

Taks, that was partly my point. If you imagine a sort of angel shaped arrangement then it would be a lot easier to get around.

The wood case attracts me because I like wood. If any of you have ever seen a stradivarius you'll know what I mean. I also wonder whether there would be any static issues with using amber for decoration, as I was listening to a documentary about the 'amber room' in the Summer Palace and it struck me as gorgeous.

Wood is beautiful but a poor conductor of heat ( just like electricity ). Good fans are obviously needed. Keep in mind your enviroment as wood will dry and crack or warp depending on your humidity. You can use piano hinge to access your system without issues ( I do with my system ).

How much amber do you need and what colour? I am an amber collector. Static from the amber would not be an issue. Amber is a 2 on the hardness scale ( 1-10 ). Do you have the ability to cut and polish it?

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Custom PC is a great source here in the UK for ideas and working examples of people creating cases from scratch (out of every material, from steel to wood to plastic) and the tools they use.

I've been thinking about building something that is more conducive to cooling, myself, so that the electronics will run more efficiently.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I haven't time or money to build one just now, so please y'all keep that in mind. As I say, tarna, the amber idea came from the amber room

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Room

It's such a warm colour, and I think warmth and elegance is surely the way to go stylistically fdrom the very hard sterile feel of most electronics 1980-2005. Almost back to the 1950s feel.

-Elwood Blues

It's quite a bit more filigree (?) than the pompous amber chamber, but I think you might like it: have a look at this mod at bit-tech to see not only a beautiful case but also the process to it, which might be a source of inspiration, too :thumbsup: this is not modding, i think, as the case is not based on any pre-fabricated part, so it's probably a bit more "hardcore" than what you're looking for, but as inspiration, as said, it should serve its purpose.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

That is an awesome link samm. Thank you. Also not to be discouraging but I think modding your comp may end up with you biting off more than you can chew. I mean its just far easier getting one thats pre modded, though they are usually kind of just copy carbon some what lame side patterns and stuff from what I've seen. It just seems like its a ton of work for something that could either come out really hit or miss. I know if I was doing it I'd go all out and do something really nice but thats just me. Plus you need like tools and stuff to cut fiber glass or whatever you plan on making your case out of.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The style leap was cerainly impressive. However I do think it's a shame that given he was building EVERYTHING from scratch he still went with a box design.

Thinking about making something that would look very unusual without requiring a lot of craftsmanship, would a totem pole effect work? All components linked to the outside of an aluminium cooling tower. The artistic effect deriving from the component placement?

-Elwood Blues

Yeah, that mod is definitely based on classical PC-design.

Why should a totem pole-styled case not work? Nothing's impossble. This should require not much more than a clever cooling-solution and long enough cables. As well as a gifted indian carver :shifty:

And if anyone is interested in retro-look, not quite fallout, but still (just a monitor and a keyboard, no case).

Now THAT is beautiful.

-Elwood Blues

• 3 months later...
I know this thread's been dead for some time, but I've had an "animate dead" left to cast for today, so...

steampunk modding :huh:

Easily the most impressive mod so far.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I dunno. Still looks like it would run hot. I'm impressed, though. If heat weren't such an issue, I wouldn't mind a classy looking mod like that.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If money weren't an issue, i'd buy at least such a keyboard, but at over 1000$... if time weren't an issue and I'd be able to, I'd build such a thing myself...

There's a lot of "if"s unfortunately :huh:

I don't think the makers actually ever even used an old typewriter, or don't remember what it was like. "Touch-typing"? :p

I'm all for NOT using a standard case, though. I can't wait for the consumerisation process that will spawn the generation of IT technology that integrates the geek-ugly into the disposable-income-chic (for an example of which see the transmogrification of the PC into the PVR).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know of someone who sells wooden cases for PCs?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: