Motorcyclists, post about your SWEET RIDES

J.E. Sawyer

I know there are at least two motorcyclists on this board, so let's roll! My current bike is a 2006 Triumph Bonneville T100.

bikebig.jpg

June is the one year mark for ownership on this bike. I've put about 15,500 miles on it and haven't had many problems. I snapped off two clutch levers (once in Anamosa, Iowa and once in Edgerton, Wisconsin) and had two oil leaks that were fixed under warranty.

tYtE mOdZ include Ikon 7614 shocks and progressive fork springs, Scrambler skidplate, Renntech crash bars, Hepco & Becker racks with 30L sidecases and 45L topcase, Triumph solo seat + rack, MRA Roadshield, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS, heavy fork gaiters, and 3/4" bar risers. I dumped the Metzeler Lasers for Tourance dualsport tires. Not pictured: my Norman Hyde Street Scrambler 5.8 gallon alloy gas tank, which is currently being "prepared".

Post about your fine sportbikes/enduros/cruisers/motards/scooters/etc. here.

What do you have against bicycles? I bought a very nice $100 bicycle from Wal-Mart. As soon as I get my broken pedal fixed I'm going to start riding it again.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My only "sweet" ride is my car (indeed, my only means of transportation outside of walking) so I can't post about it here. I work with/know several motorcyclists but I'm in no position to post details about their rides. None of them would visit this forum and post about their rides. You may not get much of a draw on this thread with such a narrow topic of discussion.

I'm glad you like your bike though. :ermm:

Edit: various structure corrections, sleepiness, etc.

Edited by Wistrik

Oh, there are few folks here who will post theirs motorbikes. :Cant's ****-eating grin icon:

Seriously, I'm sure Nightshade will want to share a pic of his motorcycle. If I had one, I would share. I had a big discussion with the inlaws about motorcycles on fathers' day. They told me the horror stories of dead and mangled motorcyclers. The usual stuff. The thing is, I don't even want to hot rod. I just want better mileage and something that can get me to where I want to go a little faster.

We've got to choose our battles with our wives, however, and I'm not dying on this hill. haha

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The current bane of my and my neighborhood's existence is a 1972 Norton Commando 750 Fastback. There's nothing classier than a British motorcycle except maybe fox hunting in tweed knickers and saying "wot wot" after every sentence, but I thank my lucky stars everytime I get to the store and back without something going wrong.

I'm actually seriously considering one of the new Bonnevilles. I've been to the dealer like three times to look at one. I've test ridden it. I've practically written out the check. But I still haven't yet. I think I'm afraid of getting another British motorcycle, to be honest, but I'm too classy to consider anything else.

Hinckley Triumphs are bulletproof. Well, except for the first batch of Daytona 675 engines. But otherwise, gold!

Seriously though, the new Bonnie (and by extension, Thruxton, Scrambler, Speedmaster, America) twins are really stout engines. I haven't had any electrical problems that weren't the result of user error, and I don't know of anyone who has.

That is a nice looking bike, J.E.. You should have shown up in Ames while you were in Iowa. If I was to get a motorcycle I would probably something like that one.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Maybe that's my problem with the new Triumphs. A bulletproof British motorcycle isn't really a British motorcycle. The constant cursing and swearing and tugging of the hair is a part of the classy British experience.

That's a sweet bike. If I had abike like that I would ride it almost every weekend.. but Swede laws demand lots of expensive trainign, licenses and whatnot to allow you to legally ride a motorbike so no bike for me. 98% of Swedish bikers are men in their 40+ that got their bike license for free before they instigated all the stupid laws :lol:

What do you have against bicycles? I bought a very nice $100 bicycle from Wal-Mart. As soon as I get my broken pedal fixed I'm going to start riding it again.

I bought a bicycle in the same price class but I had a frontal collision with a car and now it dont work so good anymore.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I do not have one yet, but as soon as I can scramble the proper amounts of money I will be buying a 250cc Kawasaki Ninja, the 'Baby Ninja.' Probably used. They're small enough I won't kill myself learning how to ride it, and they actually have more than 1/8" on the throttle, and the design hasn't really changed on them since they came out in 1989 so it's incredibly easy to find parts and people who know how to repair pretty much anything on them. Also since they're a beginner bike, they can be had incredibly cheap used since people generally sell them when they move on to something with a bigger engine.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I do not have one yet, but as soon as I can scramble the proper amounts of money I will be buying a 250cc Kawasaki Ninja, the 'Baby Ninja.' Probably used. They're small enough I won't kill myself learning how to ride it, and they actually have more than 1/8" on the throttle, and the design hasn't really changed on them since they came out in 1989 so it's incredibly easy to find parts and people who know how to repair pretty much anything on them. Also since they're a beginner bike, they can be had incredibly cheap used since people generally sell them when they move on to something with a bigger engine.

My first bike was an 883cc, 250cc is so weedy, the 500cc GPZ is probably a better option as a first bike.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

cc displacement isn't as important as the actual power curve. There are 1200cc Harleys that produce power in a more manageable way than a 600cc supersport.

The 250cc Ninja is a great (and very common) choice for a first bike. Inexpensive, lightweight, relatively easy to manage, enough power to hang on the freeway for a bit, and they hold their value very well.

I happen to live really close to the largest motorsports museum in the world, some local millionaire's collection. They have something like 900 motorcycles, from over a century old to brand new, of every kind, from just about every country that's ever built them. If you're into vintage bikes, it's worth checking out...you know, if you're ever vacationing in the middle of Butthole, Alabama for some strange reason. It's got me looking around for a cool vintage bike, lately.

You must be talking about Barber's. Seems to be a motorcycle Mecca. When I was passing back through Iowa, I stopped (successfully this time) at the National Motorcycle Museum. Lots of nice vintage bikes. I encountered three older guys there who were traveling back from Barber's. They were much better attired for the weather of the day (low 40s).

motorcyclemuseum026.jpg

Their bikes plus mine in the background. Guzzi + Ninja + old Beemer = Incredible Journey companions. One of the old timers looked at my bike for a while and said, "What sort of mileage you get with that setup, with the big windshield and everything? About 38?" I nodded, but didn't really know. I filled up my tank and headed out. My main tank runs out after three gallons. It hit reserve at 114.6 miles. Old bikers have mystical powers.

motorcyclemuseum045.jpg

Whoops. Thought I included a link. http://www.barbermotorsports.com/barber-vi...park-museum.php

Yes, it's Barber, which is a giant name in dairy products in this part of the world. It's a really crazy place with multiple levels attached by bridges and divided into eras. I used to ride out there just about every weekend just because I liked the road on the way there (unfortunately, they've started developing it recently and the whole area just looks like **** now).

I'm genuinely impressed that you made that long of a trip on a motorcycle. I'm also jealous. I've driven the hell out of my car, but I don't know if I would be able to hang with a motorcycle for those kind of miles. I've averaged 15,000 miles in my car over the past 4 years (actually 14,500. Who's counting?), and even that gets to be a pain. I can't imagine going those kind of miles on a motorcycle. To drive across the country on a motorcycle has a certain romantic sound to it.

EDIT: That would be 15k a year. Fatigue makes my posting sad.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I love Triumphs, but there is something about Harley's that does it for me...

My ride a 2006 Harley Davidson Street Bob, 1450cc engine \m/.

I still have so much I want to do with it... Like new pipes, and the headlight.

How common are Harleys in the UK? They are ubiquitous here.

I'm genuinely impressed that you made that long of a trip on a motorcycle. I'm also jealous.

Thanks. It was my first trip (SoCal to Wisconsin and back) that lasted more than a few hours. The trip back was also fraught with peril (Colorado Rockies storms) and I had to take a 300+ mile detour. But it was worth it.

This summer I'm going to Yosemite via Sequoia/King's Canyon, and then to Death Valley in November.

wow, cant, 15k miles bugs you? in my younger days i averaged 20-25k/year for many years in a row. i used to drive from melbourne, fl, to st. louis 3 times a year, straight through (1100 miles each way, 2 stops for gas each way in my stealth).

on topic, my wife and i plan to get a pair of cruisers when a) her car is paid off and b) the child is old enough to hang on for life. option a happens next summer, b may be a few more years since the squirt is only 4 now. i'm looking at a v-star, 1100 or so (i'm pretty big, so a big bike will be a benefit in the mountains) and some sort of 600 for the wife. i've done several canyons/passes around here in a G35, a Cherokee, and soon my new Xterra, and i am absolutely dying to take the plunge on a bike.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

cc displacement isn't as important as the actual power curve. There are 1200cc Harleys that produce power in a more manageable way than a 600cc supersport.

This is very true naturally, but I like the roar of a larger engine.

The 250cc Ninja is a great (and very common) choice for a first bike. Inexpensive, lightweight, relatively easy to manage, enough power to hang on the freeway for a bit, and they hold their value very well.

Yes, yes and yes, but so is the 500cc GPZ.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

How common are Harleys in the UK? They are ubiquitous here.

Not very common at all, infact... I only know one other person who rides a Harley here at the university, and I often don't see other Harley's often when i am out riding.

When i picked up the street bob I was only able to get it due to the fact that basically the dealership had already purchased the bike, at that it still took 3 months to come.

I've had my eye on the Buell Super lightning for a while as a second bike, I don't know why I just have a thing for American bikes, and even some American Cars, I think it's the sound of power the general roar of a Harley. Harley's ain't the easiest thing to ride on English roads, it's all the corners and my gawd every Harley I've ridden had always hated going round any sort of bend. Certainly built for the American Highways.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

15k in my car. This year alone, that means 15k in the mustang, another 1k in my wife's car, another 3k in rentals (including 2.4k miles in a rental all over England). So, a lot more than 15k. EDIT: Plus my younger days were longer ago than yours, taks. haha

On the other hand, I really do hate to drive. I think I'm the anti-macho kind of guy. If I'd had my way, I'd be driving some inexpensive full sized car like a Ford 500 or a Chrysler 300. The wife likes Mustangs, though, and I'm overall too lazy to argue these sorts of things.

That's the biggest problem with motorcycles to me. I think the experience might be cool, but what if I like it even less than driving a car? Then I'm stuck with an extra motorcycle I'll have to sell. So, I see threads like these and then get hyped, or talk to friends about their motorcycles, but I never end up getting a motorcycle.

Edited by Cantousent

Obsidian Plays