What are you playing now?

Darque

A Finnish developing studios' nigh-failed attempt at making a love story in game format.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I can't be the only one to realize he's a fake poster, can I?

No, but we here at the Obsidian boards encourage our fresher - younger? - members - like chris the jedi killer - to vent their creative impulses in special, endearing ways, however dismal their execution, without bickering, flaming, or grandstanding. We encourage these posters to be the best that they can be in a controlled, yet wholly immersive, milieu, only occasionally guided by our superb moderator team; that is to say: we offer them just the right length of rope... the rest depends on them and their own determination. Now, Tale, won't you once and for all abandon your wicked, clobber-the-newbie mentality to the gaping abyss that is the rest of the internet and join our peace loving, tranquility-scrounging community? Please?

The new patch failed to solve my Overlord woes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What problems are you having? You've run out of Halflings to slaughter? I had that problem too.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I can't finish the halfling food quest the evil way. The minions carrying the food get stuck at the stone circle thing.

Heja Sverige!!

Temple of Elemental Evil. :ermm:

How does it feel to play something other than Fallout for a change? ;)

Also, I've decided that Civ4 games on Marathon speed is no fun. Once you get going and have a half dozen cities I think it would be fun, but when it takes 3 hours to get there during which the vast majority of your time is spent repeatedly pressing "End Turn" it just doesn't seem worth it. I think I'll be sticking with Epic speed.

Edited by Deraldin

I'm trying to start another game of Beyond the Sword, but I haven't been able to get a map where I'm not within 10 spaces of at least one other civ. ;)

One problem I always had with Civ games, that for whatever reason I never had with Alpha Centauri, was I always had a weird aversion to open conflict with other civs.

I haven't played through a whole game of Civ 4 yet, but one of the things I found peculiar about reading up on it that probably contributes to the space problem is that the computer will divide a map (if it has continents) into Old and New worlds. If you start an "Earth Map" scenario, you can only choose European, Mesopotamian and Asian civilizations to start with, in the Old World. I started my game as the Chinese, and were my game not on Easy, the 3 civs flanking me (India, Mongolia and Japan) would have smoked my ass out. I'm not sure if there are computer Civs established in the Americas, but if there aren't there's a huge imperative (and probable "discoverer" game perks) to get there first, if not just for the space. All my Chinese Jewish empire really covers at the moment is Manchuria, the Korean peninsula, some of Southeast Asia (India is a vassal state) and parts of Siberia. I've got Mongolia neatly in a pincer should we ever go to war, though my Siberian cities' distance from the capital means frequent denied petitions to revert to Mongolian control. I've been building world wonders at 4 or 5 different cities, overall the game has been waaaaay too easy. Greece is the other big civ at the moment, with roughly a quarter of my score and control of the Mediterranean.

Civ is one of those franchises that boasts major overhauls with each iteration. Frankly, I've always preferred the second game, especially in regard to the soundtrack, but it lacks certain useful features, such as building queues. I actually find some parallels to the Elder Scrolls. Second game was the best and the games got bigger, shinier, shallower and less compelling with every iteration. Then, ES never had a game like Alpha Centauri which featured the best qualities of the second and third editions of the series.

Edited by Pop

Ever played Command Keen? How about Hexen? It's not too late.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index...SubId=440&cc=US

I never played Commander Keen, Quake II, Hexen, or Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I also apparently missed out on Master Levels for Doom II. One noteable exception from the package is Quake 4 by Raven Software. And I think I hear Commander Keen episode 6 (not by id, don't know who by) is not included.

I'm such a nerd. This is so awesome. Doom got me into gaming, but I actually never finished any of them without cheating (including 3, which felt too long).

Why would someone want to play these dinosaur-age games anyway? And even have to pay for it?

Because they're awesome and we're not thieves?

Just bought Galactic Civilizations II w/expansion. I've been a little leery of Space 4X games since its been so long since there was a good one. MOO2 was the last one I liked. I've heard good things about this one though.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Jade Empire for the first time - i ended up buying an old xbox for cheap with a few billion games

following the way of the Open Palm and kicking some serious butt with my Tiger Leap and Dragon Sword. the combat in this game is far too easy

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I restarted Overlord, and this time the food quest worked. I'm in the sewers now. Still feels like a bit of a failed game.

I'm finding controlling the minions with the mouse a bit clumsy. Unfortunately, my motherboard and my gamepad don't work together at all.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

One problem I always had with Civ games, that for whatever reason I never had with Alpha Centauri, was I always had a weird aversion to open conflict with other civs.

I don't really have a problem with it in the earlier games, but I find it a lot more difficult to wage war on others in Civ 4. The extra bonuses to defense that cities get really slows you down. It's impossible to really blitz an opponent because you take 2-3 turns per city you take + the time it takes you to move between cities. I think they should get rid of the commando ability and give everyone the ability to use roads no matter whose borders they are in. Why can't you use them, just because they aren't yours? Do the magically disappear when you try to use them?

I haven't played through a whole game of Civ 4 yet, but one of the things I found peculiar about reading up on it that probably contributes to the space problem is that the computer will divide a map (if it has continents) into Old and New worlds. If you start an "Earth Map" scenario, you can only choose European, Mesopotamian and Asian civilizations to start with, in the Old World. I started my game as the Chinese, and were my game not on Easy, the 3 civs flanking me (India, Mongolia and Japan) would have smoked my ass out. I'm not sure if there are computer Civs established in the Americas, but if there aren't there's a huge imperative (and probable "discoverer" game perks) to get there first, if not just for the space. All my Chinese Jewish empire really covers at the moment is Manchuria, the Korean peninsula, some of Southeast Asia (India is a vassal state) and parts of Siberia. I've got Mongolia neatly in a pincer should we ever go to war, though my Siberian cities' distance from the capital means frequent denied petitions to revert to Mongolian control. I've been building world wonders at 4 or 5 different cities, overall the game has been waaaaay too easy. Greece is the other big civ at the moment, with roughly a quarter of my score and control of the Mediterranean.

I know that they put all the civs in the old world when you play on a Terra map, but I don't think they do it on any other map types. They do tend to cluster though. You may get 2 or 3 on one continent and 8 on the other, but that's about it as far as I've noticed.

Civ is one of those franchises that boasts major overhauls with each iteration. Frankly, I've always preferred the second game, especially in regard to the soundtrack, but it lacks certain useful features, such as building queues. I actually find some parallels to the Elder Scrolls. Second game was the best and the games got bigger, shinier, shallower and less compelling with every iteration. Then, ES never had a game like Alpha Centauri which featured the best qualities of the second and third editions of the series.

I think the second game is still my most played Civilization game, although I always had the "Test of Time" version of it had an expanded space race option. The game didn't end once you reached Alpha Centauri, but kept going so you could colonize the new planet while conquering your neighboring civs back on Earth. It also had a second tech tree that was unlocked once you reached the planet. I don't think you can really say that the Civilization games have been getting shallower as time goes on. IMO, with the exception of Alpha Centauri-to-Civ 3 transition, they've been getting more and more complex.

Why would someone want to play these dinosaur-age games anyway? And even have to pay for it?

Maybe because they are fun? :brows:

I don't even know what to play anymore since I bought that id pack. It's just too many games. Today I've tried out Commander Keen, Spear of Destiny, Quake, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I still haven't touched Heretic or the Hexens and am planning on now trying Quake II.

I need to organize my play.

All the while still needing to finish Hitman 2, No One Lives Forever 2, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Final Fantasy 4 Advance, Shadow Hearts, and that one game of Civ 4: Beyond the Sword.

I think I realize why I like episodes.

Edited by Tale

WoW + Expansion (with another expansion on the way).

It's great being able to run (or swim) for hours traveling across a continent. This world is huge and there aren't any loading screens. I wish NWN2 could have been like this. Though the graphics up-close aren't as nice looking as NWN2's graphics, the overall atmosphere is far more immersive.

I just tamed a level 19 Matriarch Moonstalker saber cat. Tough battle for a level 19 Hunter because not only did I have her hitting me until she was tamed, but I also had her "pet", a level 17 Moonstalker Runt saber cat, getting his hits in. I couldn't heal or do anything without canceling the taming process. Thankfully I converted her just before dying, so all I had to do was fetch my corpse and call for my new pet. Sad to say that's not the first 'quest' I've completed by taking advantage of corpse-retrieval, and I have a feeling it won't be the last. This game can be frustratingly difficult sometimes. I try to stay ahead of the level curve, but every now and then I get my posterior handed to me. Oh well, it's my first character and my first time through the game.