AMA to vote on "internet/video-game addiction" as medical condition

Excerpt:

So you think your teenager is addicted to his Xbox?

You may be right

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It ultimately depends on whether or not you believe withdrawal symptoms are a necessary criteria for addiction. It would definitely be hard to diagnose, as most other addictions require multiple symptoms. Things like withdrawal, interference with other aspects of life, and spending way too much time in the search of a "fix." Computer games don't cause physical withdrawal and you don't need to go very much out of your way to play one. I think the sheer lack of possible symptoms for a diagnosis will prevent it from being accepted. I'll have to get out my DSM later and see what other criterias addictions typically share before I feel certain on that.

But hey, if it does become classified as an addiction, I see plenty of jobs opening up for a psychologist and gamer such as myself.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There's physical addiction and then there's psychological ones. And sometimes a mixture of the two.

There's also the concept of perhaps being addicted to ... adrenaline? something like that? ... and maybe that's why some get addicted to risk (gambling) or other things (games). It's not the activity itself, specifically, if you know what I mean - thus I think it's a bit silly to start labeling all activities people may use to cope with their psychological stress/addictive 'personalities' etc. as being addictive of themselves. Some people watch 6 hours of TV a day - come home from work, plop on the couch, drink beer, watch TV, go to bed. Should that be a 'medical addiction?'

But to answer the more lighthearted question - just about every game I've liked has been a short-term "addiction." I'm obsessive by nature, whether it's a game I want to play, a garden I want to plant, or a trilogy of books I want to read.

Long term-addictions - games or otherwise - not so much. I burn out on things too fast.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

People have died over playing games.

People have died parachuting, rock climbing, and mountain climbing, too ... I've yet to see anyone label those activities as a 'medical addiction' tho. :x

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

People have died over playing games.

People have died parachuting, rock climbing, and mountain climbing, too ... I've yet to see anyone label those activities as a 'medical addiction' tho. :x

Can't someone be addicted to physical exertion?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think that would sort of fall under being addicted to adrenaline, or some other chemical substance produced by the brain or other organ during heightened physical activity/risk. Not really sure tho.

If you have something like that, tho, it's likely you'd be at risk of addiction to any activity that produced enough of it for you. So having 'adrenaline addiction' or somesuch, I could see that as a medical label. Just not 'game/climbing/running' addiction.'

Physical exertion stimulates the production of endorphines in the brain.

Heja Sverige!!

I consider myself something of an addict when it comes to computer games. The fantasy worlds, especially those of D&D and Ultima, appeal to me much more than the Reality outside my house. Such games are a great escape after a long day at work and putting up with traffic. After being a cog in the machine, it's nice to fire up a game and play the part of a hero or a villain, and do epic things.

Edited by Wistrik

Is TV an addiction? I agree that games can hook people more than television, but the medium is similiar. People have died over playing games.

Obessive/Compulsive

That's what I believe it to be.

Obsessive Compulsive disorder is characterized by intrusive thoughts.

Civilization is an addiction without the withdrawal symptoms.

Heja Sverige!!

Maybe it should be called "Escapism Addiction: subcategory: technology", and include TV, games, internet chat, etc. :D

RPGs like Fallout and BG are addicitive. A fantasy that is better than reality at times. CRPGs have replaced my PnP playing time.

That sums it up. But it is not always the case and I think it owes more to what is going on in your life at the time. In 2000 I was dead broke, in a failing career, and going through a nasty divorce (a perfect storm) so any form of escapisim was welcome. Since then things are pretty good and there have been games I've gotten into but not to the exclusion of living life.

Calling video games an "addiction" is diagnosing a symptom. The root cause is what the heck else is going on in your life than makes the fantasy better than the reality as Raven put it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The doctors who put forward the idea have now retracted, saying another 4 years of research is needed to make a definite conclusion.

Are there people addicted to video games? Hard to say. I'd say I was when I was younger, but it was more a symptom of an unrelated developmental condition.

I'd say I was when I was younger, but it was more a symptom of an unrelated developmental condition.

This is most likely the main cause of the retraction. "Video game addiciton" is way to easy to mistake ADHD for. Someone with ADHD, or even perhaps other disorders, can be drawn to gaming for excitement that regular activities can't give. Many with ADHD are known for being attracted to novel activities and being able to excel at them despite the condition. While, at the same time, their other daily actitivites may suffer it could be attributed to the video games and not the actual underlying condition.

They need to ensure that what is percieved as "video game addiction" is in fact a disorder and not a symptom itself.

Only the weak willed find themselves to be addicted to something. May that be TV, alcohol, drugs, sex, video games, smoking, and whatnot. The individual has a choice to either succumb to that addiction or not. The individual has a choice, plain and simple.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

edit: have a bunny

Edited by Tale

Sand, you're addicted to this message board. Well, maybe not. You've only got 2k posts.

Addicted? Maybe. :) However, I am not posting as much as I use to.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Only the weak willed find themselves to be addicted to something. May that be TV, alcohol, drugs, sex, video games, smoking, and whatnot. The individual has a choice to either succumb to that addiction or not. The individual has a choice, plain and simple.

I'm not meaning this as a personal attack, Sand, but I know you've been fighting hard to lose weight over the last year. That sounds like an addiction right there.

Everyone has addictions, it's a part of human nature. The key is to recognize them, keep them in check, and choose positive conduits to direct your energy into.

I consider gaming a rather minor addiction, and it's fairly easy to keep in check since there are only a few games every year that really spark my addiction.