Games you are looking forward to

Darque

go check out the trailer for "rage"

http://www.gamespot.com/video/942657/61762...icial-trailer-1

obsidian i think you need to make Aliens using "teck 5"

oh ****, is that Veronica at the end of the RE5 trailer?

Woah, Rage is DEFINITELY added to my "looking forward to" list! We once had a thread on this board where we were to describe the game of your dreams and I described a game set in a post apocalyptic world where the gameplay was half RPG and half racing game (with upgradeable vehicles). This looks to be damn close! GO GO CARMACK!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

go check out the trailer for "rage"

http://www.gamespot.com/video/942657/61762...icial-trailer-1

obsidian i think you need to make Aliens using "teck 5"

oh ****, is that Veronica at the end of the RE5 trailer?

Woah, Rage is DEFINITELY added to my "looking forward to" list! We once had a thread on this board where we were to describe the game of your dreams and I described a game set in a post apocalyptic world where the gameplay was half RPG and half racing game (with upgradeable vehicles). This looks to be damn close! GO GO CARMACK!

This isn't a "half RPG, half racing game". More like "Mutilated FPS, with some ****ty Racing". Was probably Carmack's dumb (as usual) idea to put Racing into it. Otherwise, neat setting.

it was probably a Tech demo decision that paned out. quake wars will have physicked vehicles, carmac probably was just still riding the wave from that.

my inner vault dweller also tells me that carmac read how bleh-soft got fallout and said ...

**** THAT!

grrrrrr, why do i keep spelling "and" as "nad", or "driven" as "drivven".

damn you lexdixa, damn you to hell

This isn't a "half RPG, half racing game". More like "Mutilated FPS, with some ****ty Racing". Was probably Carmack's dumb (as usual) idea to put Racing into it. Otherwise, neat setting.

Why are you always so negative?

Why are you always so negative?

I've stated nothing negative in my post. Carmack is a good programmer, but the less he is involved in game design, the higher the chance the game becomes actually good. There'll be a story in Rage, for example. That's quite an improvement.

Edited by Morgoth

Carmack is one of the best programmers in the industry, as for programmers being designers sometimes good sometimes bad, depends upon the angle the coder is coming from, if they want a design to challenge them, or because it makes total sense.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I'm interested in Rage, but this is the first time I heard it will be some sort of an RGP, as far as I read it will be primarly an FPS. I hope Tim "I'm a hack" Willits don't get his hands too much on it. And it' seems Carmack may have finally done a good 3D engine since 1999. Carmack is good, but in my opinion he has to live up to the praise he still receive's, the current id Tech 4 engine got overshadowed by other 3D engines quickly.

Saw the recent Rage trailer at www.gametrailers.com. I think the game looks amazing and the whole FPS, racing and adventure aspect has me very interested. The one thing I think id needs to work on most though, is AI. I'm really hoping enemies jump over things, hide etc instead of just charging up to smack you.

I had seen and heard about CoD 4 for a while now but I decided to really watched a few new trailers and it looks awesome. Can't wait to get that and play with some friends. Still waiting on a bunch of other games. I'm really worried about GTA 4 though. Game trailers gave it the most disappointing game award for e3. Very saddening. :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I'm interested in Rage, but this is the first time I heard it will be some sort of an RGP, as far as I read it will be primarly an FPS. I hope Tim "I'm a hack" Willits don't get his hands too much on it. And it' seems Carmack may have finally done a good 3D engine since 1999. Carmack is good, but in my opinion he has to live up to the praise he still receive's, the current id Tech 4 engine got overshadowed by other 3D engines quickly.

Which is ironic considering that the engine out performed the source engine.

The better game engine doesn't always become the most popular one.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

No way. Id Tech4 isn't as versatile as Source, not to mention that Source allows more aesthetical options to the artists, and offers better tools (FacePoser for example). Besides of Raven (Quake4), the Engine was never used from any other developer, another evidence that devs need more than a mere realtime Bumpmap generator.

I don't think the Doom 3 engine out-performed source...

idTech 4:

Doom 3

Quake 4

Quake Wars

Prey

Return to Castle Wolfenstein II :sorcerer:

Source Engine:

Half Life 2

Portal

Team Fortress 2 :sorcerer:

Dark Desire of Might and Magic

Left 4 Dead

Natural Selecton 2

Sin Episodes :sad:

The Crossing

Postal 3

Vampire Bloodlines :-

I don't think the Doom 3 engine out-performed source...

I was speaking in terms of its performance in regards to rendering. Source is certainly more popular.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Performance in regards to rendering as measured in frames or as measured by percieved graphical appearance? Because with that whole plastic people look, I'd say that save for shadows it seemed a bit behind. I like Source because when there's another character in the game I don't automatically feel like I'm interacting with a plastic doll.

Or are you speaking in terms of some sort of efficiency?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Performance in regards to rendering as measured in frames or as measured by percieved graphical appearance? Because with that whole plastic people look, I'd say that save for shadows it seemed a bit behind. I like Source because when there's another character in the game I don't automatically feel like I'm interacting with a plastic doll.

Effciancy.

I like all the engines(Source, Id Tech, UE3) and would have no problem working with any of them.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Performance/efficiency of two different game engines is extremely hard to compare unless you are running exactly the same artistic content on both platforms. I've seen one home-brew effort at attempting to run HL2 content on the Doom3 engine, but apart from that it's unlikely we are ever going to see an apples-to-apples comparison of two completely different engines. Furthermore, the fact that these two engines have completely different design goals and strengths/weaknesses (Doom = fully dynamic lighting and shadows, Source = "traditional" static global illumination, huge high-res textures) makes such comparisons meaningless. Artistic content is developed to exploit the strengths of the particular engine.

Having said that, on my old 6600GT, Doom3 could barely maintain a steady 30fps while HL2 kept a consistent 50+ fps for the most part. Whether this is due to the nature of the content or a property of the engine itself is hard to determine.

Effciancy.

I like all the engines(Source, Id Tech, UE3) and would have no problem working with any of them.

What about Jupiter? huh huh?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Ok, NOW I'm interested in Left 4 Dead (around a year or so after everyone else..).

I read this:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/left4dea...=gumballs;img;1

It sounds incredible! Great write-up! Now if only I could find three other friends who'd be interested in this.. >_<

I keep reading articles about Fallout 3 in magazines and seeing the screenshots, it makes me wish they would hurry up and release that. One of the few games I look forward to.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

623gheg.jpg

Is that thing next to the green arrow what I think it is?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds