The year's half over...

Cantousent

As some of you might have noticed, I neglected to order a power supply. Ergh. Anyhow, it all came. I ordered a power supply. It came the next day. I built my machine and it has been working perfectly. Let me share a couple of things regarding the system.

First of all, the graphics card runs hot. I don't hink I could fry an egg on it, but it runs too damned hot. Still, it's not glitching and causing mayhem like the Asus video cards did. I'll see what happens. When you drop 500 for a video card, you want it to last and work for a while.

Second of all, the abit board did have some problems, but I just tweaked the bios and, voila, no problemo. Much better than Cath's old system which, when I reinstalled the operating system, lacked a driver for the built in ethernet jack.

I have pictures. Please be forgiving. The house was a mess while I was working on all these things.

post-787-1190619121_thumb.jpg

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

• 2 weeks later...

thingies = grommets

my name is meta and I am obsessive-compulsive about my smudges

the Raptor is no longer the fastest drive; the model that beats it is one of the latest generation high-density platters, so it also brings the dollar-per-GB ratio down to about a third, too, so you can get a bigger (half a TB), faster drive for less $/GB.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So which is the fastest drive? I saw that Hitachi's 1 TB drive was pretty close to the Raptor, but I wouldn't say consistently faster..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

As yet, I really don't need a larger drive. That will undoubtedly change, but as fast as I slap these systems together, it's really more of a concern for future builds. I'm about sick of rig rigging, so I'm probably not going to do one next year. I swear to goodness.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So which is the fastest drive? I saw that Hitachi's 1 TB drive was pretty close to the Raptor, but I wouldn't say consistently faster..

I think it was the Hitatchi, but I'm not able to check my magazines (and they've changed the layout of the website since I was last there, so it'll take some time to find it there, if I can). IIRC, you're right that it wasn't hugely faster, but it was the same or faster under almost every circumstance, and it is five times the capacity and half the price (okay, maybe not, but the price per MB is about a factor of ten cheaper, so a -- i think it might have been half a TB, or maybe the 700GB model? -- costs a about double a 75GB Raptor).

Not sure when I can check these facts for you, guys, as I'm not at home.

:)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

http://www.storagereview.com/

Yeah, the Hitachi 1TB is probably the one you're thinking about since that is currently Hitachi's fastest drive on offering. 32 MB cache, the return to a five platter design and perpendicular recording makes for one hell of a drive. Unfortunately, it costs more than THREE 500GB drives (from Hitachi too) here in Sweden so it would be financially unsound to buy one right now.

Still, I need a new drive.. and I've always bought Hitachi (I love them).. and I have some money over.. Argh.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think it was the Hitatchi, but I'm not able to check my magazines (and they've changed the layout of the website since I was last there, so it'll take some time to find it there, if I can). IIRC, you're right that it wasn't hugely faster, but it was the same or faster under almost every circumstance, and it is five times the capacity and half the price (okay, maybe not, but the price per MB is about a factor of ten cheaper, so a -- i think it might have been half a TB, or maybe the 700GB model? -- costs a about double a 75GB Raptor).

:lol:

Wasn't the higher performance compared to the 72GB raptor though? The 150GB Raptor is much faster than it's smaller siblings. Or maybe not much, but it's noticably so at least.

I soooo need an actual video card and a complete overhaul on my crappy comp...

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

http://www.storagereview.com/

Yeah, the Hitachi 1TB is probably the one you're thinking about since that is currently Hitachi's fastest drive on offering. 32 MB cache, the return to a five platter design and perpendicular recording makes for one hell of a drive. Unfortunately, it costs more than THREE 500GB drives (from Hitachi too) here in Sweden so it would be financially unsound to buy one right now.

Still, I need a new drive.. and I've always bought Hitachi (I love them).. and I have some money over.. Argh.

IIRC it wasn't THAT expensive; maybe because that's the largest drive they offer? The next size down might be comparitively cheaper? (I'm only grasping at straws as I read about it about three months ago and none of the details seem familiar now).

:)

Wasn't the higher performance compared to the 72GB raptor though? The 150GB Raptor is much faster than it's smaller siblings. Or maybe not much, but it's noticably so at least.

Again, IIRC it was fastest versus fastest. Don't forget the Raptor is old technology now, especially for a harddrive. I'd expect a newer Raptor before the end of the year, to regain the "silliest price high performance component" award by Christmas. :)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, XP pro supports 4 gigs, and I don't see the need to go for Vista just yet.

hehe, when does 4 gigs = 3 gigs? when using a microsoft operating system. the 64-bit operating systems are really the only way i've found to actually use all 4 gigs. i'm not in a hurry to step up to 64-bit land and step down to driver hell...

isn't the raptor SCSI, btw?

personally, i have no way to use more than a few hundred GB at the moment, so i'm sticking with the seagate drives that have been doing me righteous for several years now.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

After putting Vista 64 on my sister's computer, I'm sold on it. It runs very well on 2 gigs, and I'll be running Vista 64 on my computer when I get home. The laptop, however, will remain xp.

My raptor is ATA. I like it and it's working just fine. I agree on the size of the drive, though. I just don't need that kind of space just yet and will likely just build another system if I do.

Obsidian Plays

However, in a bizarre turn of events, I might end up with two more gigs. The OCZ memory for Shell's computer died about a week into use (yes, I manually set the voltage, so that wasn't the problem) and I put Patriot memory in her system. She doesn't really need high performance memory, so the ones I chose for her run at a lower voltage. Anyhow, the upshot is that she doesn't want me to put the new memory in her system when I RMA her OCZs, so I'm going to put the two new sticks in my system. Nice, huh?

Obsidian Plays

However, in a bizarre turn of events, I might end up with two more gigs. The OCZ memory for Shell's computer died about a week into use (yes, I manually set the voltage, so that wasn't the problem) and I put Patriot memory in her system. She doesn't really need high performance memory, so the ones I chose for her run at a lower voltage. Anyhow, the upshot is that she doesn't want me to put the new memory in her system when I RMA her OCZs, so I'm going to put the two new sticks in my system. Nice, huh?

You'll have more ram than Bok! :-

I can see Vista 64bit repeating the Windows for Workgroups 3.11 trend that saw RAM capacities jump from 1MB to 32MB ..!

Also, the harddrive I read about was the new iteration of the Spinpoint series, which is a Samsung, specifically the Spinpoint T166 HD501LJ).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You'll have more ram than Bok! -_-

He's already got more cores than me.

But it's when he gets SLI is when I get dethroned from being Graphics Lord...

That's true, and my war chest is pretty much depleted. I can't see shelling out enough cash to buy an additional card, m'lord. :Cant's grin and wink icon:

Obsidian Plays