The year's half over...

Cantousent

I might actually get one of those quad cores in July if the prices are right. I tend to like to wait until at least Mid-October before I begin builds, but I can always make an exception this year. Probably not, but you never know. Anyhow, I have to go to Frye's (or however it's spelled) sometime before the end of this month anyhow. I'll take a look at stuff then.

What mobo are you going to get? I personally like the Asus Blitz :shifty:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I'm an Asus fan. My current build has Asus video and mobo. I'me not sure on anything yet, though. I'm going to look when I'm at Frye's and see if anything catches my eye.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just a heads-up that Anandtech have built a new lab and will be reviewing power supplies in detail soon. They've already posted one review and will no doubt improve the process as they go. I like it because power supplies are the one bit of hardware I'm never sure about, and detailed reviews will help me make a good decision.

Edit: annihilated a typo.

Edit2: I'm also interested in what Penryn has to offer. I like some of AMD's new designs in "Barcelona", but it seems they're having some trouble. I'll wait for head-to-head reviews before I make a final CPU decision.

Edited by Wistrik

Or you can wait for the Penryn Quads, I feel they are going to make the Kentsfield-based Core 2 Quads look like Pentium Ds.

Go for the quads, Bok. It'll be just like Freelancer. Chain gun power.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Bok, since you're obviously sitting on a mound of cash, do you think you can spring for one of those 9800 GTXs for me? Seriously, just put down the specs for your next system here and I'll see how much it goes over my budget. It's just easier to let you do the legwork. hahaha

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

my next system? oh man i dunno

Intel Penryn Quad or Octacore

1 9800 GTX, and get the second later

4 gig RAM

Intel-based PCI Express 2.0 compiant mobo /w SLI

SoundBlaster X-Fi 2

30-inch monitor 2560x1600 rez!!

I can't name specific parts or prices cuz everything is just rumors, and I'm about to install Vista 64 so I'll be getting 4-gig RAM soon

o:)

Edited by Bokishi

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, the wife has spoken, so I'm go for the new system. Apparently, she wants to give her old system to her folks, which means I get a new system and she gets my current one, which still rocks.

Now, I was thinking either:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

or

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

for the CPU. I don't want to spend the extra cash for the quad unless it will really make a difference. It is, after all, more expensive by over 200 bucks.

As far as MBs go, I was thinking:

either

mkreku's suggestiong: ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard, which doesn't look bad

or

tried and true asus: Open Box: ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard. I just don't care for the wifi. I have a cabled lan and I don't intend to change that anytime soon, even after setting up several secure wireless lans over the last few years. I'm old fashioned that way.

For Video:

BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

or

ASUS EN8800GTX/HTDP/768M GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Of course, the video cards are pricey, but the big news for me is that one of my CPU choices is actually more expensive than either video card option.

As always, nothing is set in stone until I purchase, which will likely be sometime between now and November. I want the system up and running before December. I appreciate any particular insight you folks might have. Anything from finding real alternatives that cost less money to switches in brand names for performance or reliability.

I stopped by Fry's today and looked at the prices. They seem comparable to New Egg, but I also find that they don't always have the exact same products. Once I get the big three set, I'll look into the other components, such as memory, PSU, heatsinks, etc.

Obsidian Plays

Just another head's up.. Since the time should be getting near to AMD's next generation CPU's, I thought I'd give you a hint of how AMD is compared to the Core 2 Duo of today (6750 and 6850). Remember this is the last of the Athlon generation; that is, they are comparing AMD's last generation chip to Intel's current generation chips:

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/hwdb.php?tid=8422...&rid=842214

It stands up surprisingly well! Since your purchase isn't scheduled until at the latest November (by which time the AMD Phenom should have arrived) you'll be able to choose from Penryn (Intel's new LGA775 socket CPU's.. meaning you can buy the motherboard now) and Phenom, if you decide to wait a few months longer.

Decisions, decisions. Since I already have a LGA775 socket motherboard, I'm waiting for the new Penryn before I upgrade. Unless I switch to Abit's new DDR3-enabled motherboard.. Argh.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This is what I hate. I'm looking over prices and configurations and brand names and everything. Not being rich, I'm looking for a cross between value and preformance. Luckily, this intellectual auto-eroticism will keep me occupied for a couple months during which time maybe some of the prices will drop and I'll end up getting that quad for less. haha

Where are some of the other regulars? Angshuman? Enoch? More opinions, please. Thanks to Bok and mkreku for the ideas. My latest cost test included evga for both the mobo and video.

Obsidian Plays

Well, I am looking forward to the new NVidia cards. Those will be my next purchase.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Where are some of the other regulars? Angshuman? Enoch? More opinions, please. Thanks to Bok and mkreku for the ideas. My latest cost test included evga for both the mobo and video.

Oh, I'm hardly any authority on this stuff. I did enough research to build my rig 5 months ago, and haven't been paying too much attention since. (I find the speed at which all my new stuff starts looking less and less new a bit depressing.) The only thing I have to add is that I had an excellent experience with evga tech support. If that's important to you in your shopping, they're a good company to buy from.

It's one of the reasons I decided against Abit, even though they have an otherwise solid product. Once I looked into it, evga looked like a good choice. One thing I'm wondering if having the same manufacturer for the video and motherboard is even a factor. All things being equal, should I?

Obsidian Plays

To tell you the truth, during the five years I've been using Abit I haven't had a single hardware failure (or problem) so I don't even know if they have support. But they do build sturdy stuff, that's for sure.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the motherboards coming out now/about to come out have some not-yet-implemented features, like DDR3 RAM. This means that you have a choice to buy a slightly cheaper bunch of components that do everything that can possibly be done right now, OR you buy a [limited] future-proof solution containing a lot of very expensive parts that aren't implemented yet and might even be implemented better in six months. I haven't had a moment to look into tech for a while: I was planning to build a new PC about now, but it looks like I'll be waiting on that for a little while.

PS The Phemon is not given warm encouragement in the runes that I read.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I recently visited a friend who works for AMD. He's adamant that their product is better than Intel, and, all things being equal, I will buy AMD. However, I think Intel might still have the advantage on AMD. I don't like it, but it, but I suspect it's true. Thanks for responding, my friend.

Obsidian Plays

I'm hoping AMD will bring home the bacon, as we need a competitive marketplace.

Interestingly, I read (about a year ago) that Intel was scaling / has scaled back its R&D facilities / expenditure from the monolithic state it had achieved in recent years to a vestigial amount. If it's true, that's really sad (I haven't heard since).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 2 weeks later...