Read the Sunspots (Best Global Warming Article...EVER!)

Guard Dog

You'll always be my authority Meta.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I read somewhere that if half of America turned off their lighting, closed fridge doors, etc for one night, an immense amount of energy could be saved.

Any truth to this?

Sure it true, just as if 150 million people from any country turned off their lighting, closed the fridge door, etc... for one night.

I read somewhere that if half of America turned off their lighting, closed fridge doors, etc for one night, an immense amount of energy could be saved.

Any truth to this?

yeah, one day's worth of the energy these things consume, which is pretty immense. but it's still only one day's worth, and only a fraction of the energy budget for the planet's population in the first place.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Ok, thanks.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

a better plan is to use energy efficient heating/cooling as well as other appliances (hot water heater is a biggie) and electronic gadgets. unfortunately, the _really_ efficient ones are rather expensive. my wife and i try to limit our AC use in the summer, and yesterday was in fact the first day we turned it on. the breeze that was going on yesterday was actually too warm to rely on open windows (CO Springs has a nearly constant breeze/wind, which allows us to simply open windows to cool the house, sometimes, however, it turns the house into a convection oven and yesterday was the first day this happened this year... last year we had it on in the beginning of may).

taks

My apartment uses a central air system which I always have on auto. It would kick on whenever the temperature rises or lowers greater than 5 degrees on its setting, which I keep at 72 degrees. Overall my elecricity bill is never above $50 USD a month.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

My apartment uses a central air system which I always have on auto. It would kick on whenever the temperature rises or lowers greater than 5 degrees on its setting, which I keep at 72 degrees. Overall my elecricity bill is never above $50 USD a month.

our total bill is near $300 in peak months (june/july, december/january) but that includes gas and trash plus the myriad "fees" COS charges us for other things. they call 'em fees because we have a TABOR system in place, i.e., they aren't allowed to assess a tax without taxpayer approval. skirt the blockade by labeling them as fees.

taks

Well, that has to suck. I hated it when the government uses loopholes like that.

The landlord here pays for gas, water, trash, and whatnot, but a few friends who have houses told me that their bill rarely goes about $180. Utilities are cheap here in Ames, but the housing is not.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

utilities are expensive in CO in general. no chance for using water power since, well, we're the source of many of the rivers in the S/SW to the southern part of the MW, which means our rivers aren't big enough to drive the turbines. they just connected our natural gas reservoirs to the western states, which increased demand, which increased prices for gas. grrr.

off months are below $180 for everything, btw.

taks

The powr station here recycles trash, in which anything that is burnable and can be used for energy is used, the rest goes to a landfill. It is then supplemented by coal. A while back there was talks about making a nuclear power plant but I think that fell through.

nuclear _should_ start to see a resurgence, but that's a catch-22 for the environmentalist camp as they traditionally block such efforts. the fact of the matter is that nuclear is the cleanest, safest and most abundant source of cheap fuel on the planet. given the current media hype over GW, however, they do seem to be softening in this regard. we need it simply for when coal and oil run out because the other alternatives, wind, water, solar and, potentially fusion, are either not sufficient, or technologically so far out in the future they're not viable for our soon-to-be near-term needs.

btw, i wonder how much energy can be generated from the methane that is released from landfills? normally they just burn it off.

taks

It is a simple fact that nuclear power is the only viable source of energy if both enviromentalic needs and efficiency has to be provided for. It hardly pollutes, risks are minimal, there's no lack of resourcs in sight and the relativley large investments it needs are paid back fast. Really, if we wish to see the standards of living keep the same, nuclear is the only option.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

You'll always be my authority Meta.

I'm still not going to put you in my melodrama top three.

Curses!!!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

agreed, musopticon2. plus, once the doors open to develop nuclear technology, it will ultimately become safer (which includes disposal), cheaper to develop, and cheaper to buy. the restrictions in place at the moment make it almost a losing proposition.

taks

There are "restrictions" to make it safer...

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Not to mention that while nuclear energy can also sustain the development of alternative energy sources for regions that it is not viable. It's just a win-win situation. As much as I understand the hazards of waste and that we can't forever keep storing them underground, I don't wish to lose the comforts of modernities just because some can't bend under their idealism, especially when it is such prepostrous crap as anti-nuclear activism usually is. And I don't mean the youths that chain themselves to reactor cores, but the political power players that decide they'd rather invest more on oil and gas than nuclear just because of the dirty image it has garnered thanks to prejudice.

Then again, I wouldn't like to have an uranium mine on my backyard, but such is life.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

There are "restrictions" to make it safer...

that's not what i'm talking about. i'm talking about the massive amounts of red-tape in place that make it cost prohibitive to build new plants. this includes, but is not limited to, the lengthy legal battles companies must face from opposition groups. for the same reason, the US hasn't built any new oil refineries since the 70s.

taks

Ah, american thing.

Pardon :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The UK government pretends to listen to special interest groups (including delays caused by court cases and white papers), then passes legislation to have the airport extension / nuclear plant / landfill sight placed where it wants anyway.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Neuclear is the best shot we have of a 'clean' energy supply providing we can find safe storage for spent neuclear fuel. Environmentalists who stage blockades at neuclear fuel transports are being unrealistic about their own aims. You can't seriously expect to power a modern society with windmills and solar cells, and if you can't, that energy is going to come from traditional 'dirty' sources like coal.

Neuclear accidents are spectacular and terrifying, but they ammount to practically nothing compared to the effect of traditional energy consuption on the environment. Tree death, acid rain, smog. etc.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I think we should hurry up and habitate another planet.

Venus would make for an excellent planet for 3/4 of the population. :x

You mean Mars? As I remember, Venus would be a lousy spot compared to other planets and moons for habitation.

No, she meant Venus. Trust me. Inhospitable planet, 3/4 of the population destroyed. Definitely Venus.

:x

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I think we should hurry up and habitate another planet.

Venus would make for an excellent planet for 3/4 of the population. :)

You mean Mars? As I remember, Venus would be a lousy spot compared to other planets and moons for habitation.

No, she meant Venus. Trust me. Inhospitable planet, 3/4 of the population. Definitely Venus.

Are you flirting? AGAIN?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT