Suggestions For Devs

Calax

no, this is not a thread for "dude I wantz a fallout game with lesbians dual wielding robots dual wielding shotguns!"

this thread is for more plot device sort of thing like:

If you have a case where a person is: the incarnation of a god, the child of a god, the carrier of a god, the antithesis of a god or related to a god in a way that is not normal to the setting, for crying out loud make at least some point in the story line you having the ability to just kick the crap out of any and all comers.

If you have somebody who's wanted by every faction and their brother, have wanted posters (with horribly drawn caricatures if you want) posted.

If you have a King, Queen, Prince, Princess, or other public figure join the party incognito, don't have them retain the same costume or physical features. Have them make themselves indistinguishable. For example, Have them cover half their face with a mask and wear something other than court costumes. (the mask will draw attention away from the face, people will see the mask rather than the person behind the mask). Or get tattoos to cover distinguishing marks.

If you have the main character as a ruler, have them make the decisions rather than be told by henchman #5 what to do.

If something is PAINFULLY obvious (Oh Oh that's gonna be the evil guy) let the other characters pick up on SOMETHING that raises a red flag, rather than act oblivious to the mustache twirling, insane laughter.

If there is a war, don't have the war be three vets wandering around telling tales with no actual visions of battle.

If the main character is supposed to be the best of the best of humanity (or a metahuman) don't have them taken down by your average goblin. Have them go nuts through swaths of goblins and be worn down if you need to have a person be captured by a tribe of said goblins (a dynasty warriors esque fight would be good)

Feel free to chime in.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Agreed on the war thing. The seige in BG2 Throne of Baal was pretty warlike.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I did some of this for BG1/2 because to me the main character, despite being "the most powerful child of Bhaal", was often no more powerrful (and sometimes less powerful) than his normal party members. The initial powers were pathetic, and any useful abilities were often obtained very late in the story. The slayer transformation isn't an option when I'm roleplaying good alignments.

So I did little things like making him immune to normal weapons right off the bat, which made him a bit more impressive. I have other ideas but haven't implemented them yet; haven't worked on the game in about a year.

I did some of this for BG1/2 because to me the main character, despite being "the most powerful child of Bhaal", was often no more powerrful (and sometimes less powerful) than his normal party members. The initial powers were pathetic, and any useful abilities were often obtained very late in the story. The slayer transformation isn't an option when I'm roleplaying good alignments.

So I did little things like making him immune to normal weapons right off the bat, which made him a bit more impressive. I have other ideas but haven't implemented them yet; haven't worked on the game in about a year.

I never recall anyone claiming that you're "the most powerful child of Bhaal." Any power from Bhaal in BG was always spoken of as potential, not current.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

And he was free... Free Bhaaling...

:teehee:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I never recall anyone claiming that you're "the most powerful child of Bhaal." Any power from Bhaal in BG was always spoken of as potential, not current.

The Solar says it in ToB. Well, if you're nice. I never selected the rude/indifferent responses.

Well, considering you kill every other bhaaspawn you encounter, you'd have to be more powerful than them, eh?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, considering you kill every other bhaaspawn you encounter, you'd have to be more powerful than them, eh?

You're not necessarilly alone.

Besides, I can kill lots of people. Doesn't make me more powerful than them. Edit: BOOM!

I'll concede that point if the Solar makes the claim.

Edited by Tale

I never minded that. More power to the rest of the party. Keeep in mind that you are only one of thousands of other bhaalspawn at first.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

no, this is not a thread for "dude I wantz a fallout game with lesbians dual wielding robots dual wielding shotguns!"

this thread is for more plot device sort of thing like:

If you have a case where a person is: the incarnation of a god, the child of a god, the carrier of a god, the antithesis of a god or related to a god in a way that is not normal to the setting, for crying out loud make at least some point in the story line you having the ability to just kick the crap out of any and all comers.

If you have somebody who's wanted by every faction and their brother, have wanted posters (with horribly drawn caricatures if you want) posted.

If you have a King, Queen, Prince, Princess, or other public figure join the party incognito, don't have them retain the same costume or physical features. Have them make themselves indistinguishable. For example, Have them cover half their face with a mask and wear something other than court costumes. (the mask will draw attention away from the face, people will see the mask rather than the person behind the mask). Or get tattoos to cover distinguishing marks.

If you have the main character as a ruler, have them make the decisions rather than be told by henchman #5 what to do.

If something is PAINFULLY obvious (Oh Oh that's gonna be the evil guy) let the other characters pick up on SOMETHING that raises a red flag, rather than act oblivious to the mustache twirling, insane laughter.

If there is a war, don't have the war be three vets wandering around telling tales with no actual visions of battle.

If the main character is supposed to be the best of the best of humanity (or a metahuman) don't have them taken down by your average goblin. Have them go nuts through swaths of goblins and be worn down if you need to have a person be captured by a tribe of said goblins (a dynasty warriors esque fight would be good)

Feel free to chime in.

So true.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Sounds like the central conceit of NwN2. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sounds like the central conceit of NwN2. :ermm:

NWN2 is about the silver sword (and the KoS of course), a piece of which just happens to be inside an everyday farmboy/girl. The BG series is about the child(ren) of a now dead god.

Edited by Wistrik

As I recall, the Slayer transformation only lowered your reputation by 2 every time you used it, and by that point you could easily go to a temple and pay your way back into adoration.

Yes, but that's either powergaming or roleplaying a non-good alignment.

It's a reputation hit, not a good-alignment hit. So people think worse of you just because you transform into a monster FOR GOODNESS!, they'll get over it with your goodly donations.

The difference was made abundantly clear to me when I impersonated a law man for profit, not once but twice, including theft and extortion. I got caught the second time I did it by the lawman I was impersonating and he was none too happy about it. I killed him, but since he was an ****, I got a reputation bonus.

Edited by Tale

Hah, I like that animation. The ROFLcopter is funny too.

And believe it or not, I actually role-play the alignment I select for my character, which is predominantly good because I'm not that good at being anything else.

Sounds like the central conceit of NwN2. :)

NWN2 is about the silver sword (and the KoS of course), a piece of which just happens to be inside an everyday farmboy/girl. The BG series is about the child(ren) of a now dead god.

Not talking about the why, talking about the incremental ability additions to the PC.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

another thing,

Don't have a PC do somthing that they couldn't do OUTSIDE the cutscene.

So you want Lara to be able to drive a cigarette boat and pilot a Cesna in-game ... in a puzzle game?

I was actually referring to the cutscenes that everyone looks at because it shows the PC going ballistic like he never would in the game, or he shows "hey, I got teh powah!" (see the little angel boy from Xenosaga, when he first appears he freezes time and kills somthing by touching it." Instead of that actually have him do somthing that he can pull off while under the players control.