Seeking legal advice

Eddo36

Greetings. I wish to know about the laws on conduct on the internet. I understand that the internet is filled with minors, and it is impossible to completely verify if someone you are chatting with (in chatrooms, (IE myspace, friendster, notebook, etc) is an adult or minor and I have absolutely NO intentions of chatting with a minor, but I have found some great adult friends online whom I chat intimately with on webcam. I do ask everyone if they are over 18 before I talk to them, and if any says they aren't, I promptly delete them from my contact list without another word, and block if needed. However, I'm worried I'll get in trouble from those kids who SAY that they are over 18, and there is no way to verify their age (not practical to ask them to scan drivers license and email it to you, etc), and I HATE talking/soliciting with minors and especially liars for I am not interested. Can one of them have the potential to get me into trouble, if I ask if they are over 18 and they say they are but really aren't, or is it their parent's fault for getting their lying kids on the internet? If so, how can I remedy that while meeting cool new consensual ADULT people I get well with online and do and chat intimately with via webcam? I wish to know and seek advice here. Thanks in advance.

The best advice is not do it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of measure for that very reason you state with minors that could lie about their age. In many states and on the federal level laws are just beginning to come into being. Some states just don't have laws yet because this is a new phenomena.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well it's not like I'm going to meet anyone online in real life. Just wondering if stripping on cam is bad when asked if they are over 18 and they say yes. I am wondering if there is something that can be done to remedy that OTHER than not doing it, cuz it is fun to meet consensual non-lying ADULTS online and have fun with them without going to prison for some lying kiddie.

051107chrishansonvsml9ayu1.jpg

"I'm Chris Hanson, on the next episode of To Catch A Predator; guns, web cams, a young Asian man, and a 14 year old boy posing as an 18 year old."

As far as I know, if they claim they are 18 you should be fine but it's still in bad taste. You'd be ok if you were using a site such as stickam since you have to agree to legal terms and if anything ever happened you'd be covered.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

You know, I'm appalled that you're asking if you should strip in front of your webcam. That's a serious response. I'm not saying it to make a joke. I'm saying it because I truly think it's depraved. If you're really worried about it, consult an attorney. That and a psychiatrist.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Different strokes for different folks, Cant.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I think the subject matter is in poor taste for a video game forum. I'm thinking he can ask some other freaks elsewhere.

I agree totally.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I've pondered on it a little while, and I'm going to agree as well. I'd like to thank those who responded thus far for being courteous and honest in their replies; but lest the 'morrow bring otherwise, I think it best to close this one.

Eddo, my guess is that you would be better served to find a more suitable forum to ask your question.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts