Planescape: Torment

This was such a brilliant game, Black Isle at its finest IMO. So, I'm wondering, since Obsidian has alot of former Black Isle employees is there a chance of a sequel? I've heard that NWN2 has subtle references to PS: T, so I'm hoping they are considering such an endeavor, even if it's only set within the same universe.

Anyway, it's a pity that games of such quality often don't get the attention they deserve. The general view is that PS: T didn't sell well, but that was only initially. A recent interview stated that the game generated enough sales to rival their other products in time. So, Obsidian, hope you guys are mulling this over. It would be great to see a sequel to this great game!

Since Planescape as setting is dead, there can't be any official games in that franchise anymore

However, you might be very interested (like me and many others) on certain upcoming series of NWN2 modules if you have the game :)

Click

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

A sequel? No. That story arc was brought to a logical and satisfying conclusion. All questions asked were answered, there were no loose ends. To revive that story would do it a disservice.

However I'd love to see more games in that setting. That will of course not happen. WotC owns the rights and they have retired the material. More is the pity. But if you want to get a little taste and if you own NWN1 check out these two mods on the vault: In The Footsteps of Dante, and The Nature of a Man.

It says a lot about Torment that after nearly ten years we are still talking about it. And still wishing newer games would measure up to it. Chris, you should be proud of that!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A sequel? No. That story arc was brought to a logical and satisfying conclusion. All questions asked were answered, there were no loose ends. To revive that story would do it a disservice.

No loose endzorz!? Level 30 Nameless One thrown in the middle of Blood War is the perfect place to start Planescape Torment sequel: A FPS game!

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

However I'd love to see more games in that setting. That will of course not happen. WotC owns the rights and they have retired the material. More is the pity. But if you want to get a little taste and if you own NWN1 check out these two mods on the vault: In The Footsteps of Dante, and The Nature of a Man.

It says a lot about Torment that after nearly ten years we are still talking about it. And still wishing newer games would measure up to it. Chris, you should be proud of that!

Good mods. :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No loose endzorz!? Level 30 Nameless One thrown in the middle of Blood War is the perfect place to start Planescape Torment sequel: A FPS game!

But, what would he shoot?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Mechanus Cannon!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

All questions asked were answered, there were no loose ends.

Is it just me who has a feeling that there was more to the two Abishai in the bar than meets the eye? It is as if they are there for a different reason than just chit chat, I just never figured out what :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

All questions asked were answered, there were no loose ends.

Is it just me who has a feeling that there was more to the two Abishai in the bar than meets the eye? It is as if they are there for a different reason than just chit chat, I just never figured out what :)

IIRC they knew TNO from one of his past incarnations. I believe he either talked them into deserting from the war, or helped in return for where to find a passage to Avernus. IIRC. It was something like that.

Chris Avellone could answer that if he was willing. Hint Hint...

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Planescape Torment, for me, is sort of like the Citizen Kane of computer games. It was well thought out and beautifully envisioned story that was like nothing I'd ever seen when it was released. I'm speaking about the plot, mostly, the story, the setting, and the characters. Planescape accomplished something in a PC game that made it a piece of classic literature in my mind. It fused what could have been a fantastic novel with a game engine, and it did it in such a way that if it had been written in a novel or cinematic format, it really wouldn't have had the same effect. It took a standard game format and, where anyone else would have tacked on a story to power the game, it used the game to power the story, and it did a damn good job at it. It did for CRPGs what Watchmen did for comic books. To this day my original Planescape Torment box holds a space on my classic literature shelf between hardback copies of Huckleberry Finn and War and Peace. It's the only PC game I own to ever achieve this honor.

The original game did not leave any place for a sequel, but I would very much like to see another game in a similar setting. I have to admit that the classic elves and orcs setting, or any of its various clones, has long gotten stale for me.

Planescape: Torment isn't the best game that i've played, since the combat had the effiency of a wombat..so to speak. But the plot, characters and setting are unmatched, no other game comes as close in terms of brilliance. Easily the best RPG though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The original game did not leave any place for a sequel, but I would very much like to see another game in a similar setting. I have to admit that the classic elves and orcs setting, or any of its various clones, has long gotten stale for me.

Well, I mean they COULD have made a sequel. Whether or not it would've been well-thought out enough is another matter entirely. I think it would take a creative genius to resurrect the PS: T story in a worthy way. That said, generally having a brand new character would suit another Planescape game the best, I think.

I was a fair bit lost at the outset and was sporadic in my play schedule, so at first I really didn't get into Torment. The restrictive character classes, the lack of variety in the weapons, the lack of armor and the reams (and reams, and reams) of dialogue put me off. But as I got farther into it it got better, and I really enjoyed the ending, despite being completely ****ed (being a thief and all) and having my wisdom and cha 2 below the threshold for non-combat victory at the end-game. It was a good game, and I'm sure it's great when one experiences the full reach of the options and paths in the game, but the first 75% of Torment is too boring to me to justify going through with different characters and fully wearing it out.

You know Pop, what ever I listen to, your avatar swings in rythm.

It is uncanny.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I do, but I need the occasional melody as well.

kirottu said:

Since Planescape as setting is dead, there can't be any official games in that franchise anymore

Well the setting still exists, it was just folded back into the core rules. One could, I suppose, still create a planar based D&D story if one were able to get the rights.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...

Well. As I remember Morty and Dakkon stuck with TKO through alot of stuff, several incarnations ect. Annah (if you treated her right) would also be pretty anxious to keep following you around. I allways wondered why they would just let him piss off and do the bloodwar thing, instead of trying to get him back ? Its like... "oh well. You got your memory and uberpowers as lvl 30 plus. You just go and do your thing and we will forget you ever existed." It doesn't really add up to me.

You could have done a spinoff or at least have a ****eload more eastereggs if you chose. Having Dakkon Morty and Annah going on a chase around the planes to look for SOMETHING that would redeem TKO would not be far fetched.

Also a lvl 30 toon in the blood war would be a significant powerhouse in fighting. Which side would he join ? Would he rise in rank ? If you as a field commander had such a fighter/mage/rogue/whatever you would be damnd interested in keeping him around, alive and effective.

-Farb

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

TKO - The Knackered One?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well. As I remember Morty and Dakkon stuck with TKO through alot of stuff, several incarnations ect. Annah (if you treated her right) would also be pretty anxious to keep following you around. I allways wondered why they would just let him piss off and do the bloodwar thing, instead of trying to get him back ? Its like... "oh well. You got your memory and uberpowers as lvl 30 plus. You just go and do your thing and we will forget you ever existed." It doesn't really add up to me.

You could have done a spinoff or at least have a ****eload more eastereggs if you chose. Having Dakkon Morty and Annah going on a chase around the planes to look for SOMETHING that would redeem TKO would not be far fetched.

Also a lvl 30 toon in the blood war would be a significant powerhouse in fighting. Which side would he join ? Would he rise in rank ? If you as a field commander had such a fighter/mage/rogue/whatever you would be damnd interested in keeping him around, alive and effective.

-Farb

Farb, if you own NWN1 drop everything you are doing and down load these two mods: In the Footsteps of Dante & The Nature of a Man

If you do not own NWN1 go buy it and play those two mods. It can be had for $10 US these days.

Thomas Sowell

-Farb

Farb, if you own NWN1 drop everything you are doing and down load these two mods: In the Footsteps of Dante & The Nature of a Man

If you do not own NWN1 go buy it and play those two mods. It can be had for $10 US these days.

You had best not be setting my hopes up too high... You've got my interest going throught the roof.

-Farb

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!