Can't get past Window's login...

Arkan

This is a different problem, one not involving Vista. My mothers computer (my old one) recently lost power due to a power outage, but whenever the logon screen came back up, entering in the login information only led to a dialogue box saying that the domain cannot be found, please contact the admin (which would be me). This is the second time this has happend, and I had to format the HD last time and reinstall windows. Here is the exact error:

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:

The specified domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted.

Please try again or contact your system administrator.

I tried loggin on through safemode and it gives me the same error...any ideas? Ir'a XP Pro SP2, btw.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well ... this is likely not what you want to hear ... other than playing with the recovery tools (which make more work than usu imo), I suspect it is time for a reinstall ...

/hides

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

The specified domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted.

Please try again or contact your system administrator.

I tried loggin on through safemode and it gives me the same error...any ideas? Ir'a XP Pro SP2, btw.

It looks like you configured Windows to be a part of the domain during the installation (as opposed to a workgroup), which needs a domain controller. Do you get a classic login window or XP's "welcome" window? If the former, there should be an option to login locally and not authenticate against the Active Directory (or whatever funky thing MS has at the time).

localmgrlogin.jpg

It's the Welcome Screen, and I'm not sure how to get to the recovery console. Do I use the XP installation disk (boot with it)?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It's the Welcome Screen, and I'm not sure how to get to the recovery console. Do I use the XP installation disk (boot with it)?

Well, a lot of these retail computers already have a recovery partition on the hard drive itself. For example, when booting up a Compaq they'll be and F1 option to set up the system (i.e. enter the BIOS) and and F10 option to bring up the menu for the various system recovery procedures. Try restarting the comp and look out for an F-function key prompt like that (or just start pressing random F buttons and see what happens). The former is perhaps the safest route, but I firmly endorse the latter in the name of comedy!

manthing2.jpg