mobile phones

Walsingham

That's one of the arguments for not allowing mobiles in hospitals.

Moron: Hi ... yeah ... no I'm at the hospital ... the hospital ... THE HOSPITAL ... no, Dad's sick ... No, ... No ... DAD ... he's sick ... Dad' sick ... WHAT? NO, I'M AT THE HOSPITAL ... WHAT?

:*

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Moron: Hi ... yeah ... no I'm at the hospital ... the hospital ... THE HOSPITAL ... no, Dad's sick ... No, ... No ... DAD ... he's sick ... Dad' sick ... WHAT? NO, I'M AT THE HOSPITAL ... WHAT?

:alien:

Sounds like Moron is using the wrong carrier. If he was with my company he would not need to repeat himself. :thumbsup:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

One other note. A GSM, TDMA, or AMPS phone sends a signal to it's controlling cell every 3 seconds while it is powered on. So you do not need to use the phone for it to be a potential interference. CDMA does not. But again, it is pretty unlikely it will be a problem.

no, but stupid CDMA phones will continually search for a network and burn themselves out in the process... grrr. razr = crap.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

:alien:

Sounds like Moron is using the wrong carrier. If he was with my company he would not need to repeat himself. :thumbsup:

It's more a problem at the handset, rather than over the connection. ;)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

One other note. A GSM, TDMA, or AMPS phone sends a signal to it's controlling cell every 3 seconds while it is powered on. So you do not need to use the phone for it to be a potential interference. CDMA does not. But again, it is pretty unlikely it will be a problem.

no, but stupid CDMA phones will continually search for a network and burn themselves out in the process... grrr. razr = crap.

taks

You could not give me a Motorola phone

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I can confirm that interference between transmission frequencies is part of the problem. Particularly the anti-collison radar as GD says. However it is not the only issue.

But with parity/addressable systems this should never be an issue. I would be more prone to go along with the idea of frequency saturation than interference. A cell phone ramping up it's power looking for a good cell sight would make more sense to me than simple data interference. I also give credence to the electronic 'white-noise' created by Tasers on a plane.

I think that, to be perfectly honest, it also annoys me that someone would ignore the safety advice at all. It's not supposed to be open to personal tastes!

Agreed but this should be tempered with some sense. I deliberately smoke when filling my gas tank and working with natural gas because I understand the principles involved and most others do not. You can put your cigarette out in gasoline without any risk. Didn't know that did you :wink:.

I like annoying people that rely on urban myths to do their thinking for them. Many of those that offer 'wisdom' are dumber than a box of dog-sh*t but since it meets the gratification of those seeking 'protection' and have absolutely no brains of their own, this information makes them happy and secure in theior own ignorance. ( no slam against you Wals...just commenting on the bliss of the 'unwashed masses' ).

As Peoples' exhibit 'A' - I offer the stupidity of Y2K. I had dumbasses at Ronnie's Rocket Ranch ( Martin Marrietta ) demanding Y2K certifications for mercury bulb t-stats. Secure in their stupidity, they took offence to being told they were being thoughtlessly extreme in their concerns. I hope the stupid f*****rs bought generators for their homes for the non-event. I work with powerhouses and know how they work. No powerhouse engineer would allow a computer to take complete control ( frankenstein fear ) but everyone else sucked it up because bad news sells!

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Seems to me it's basic meme theory. People will believe any old rubbish if it gives them an excuse to behave in a way they wanted to to begin with. It's the first rule of leading awkward masses - tell them to do what they were going to do anyway.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can't stand their OS.

Agreed but this should be tempered with some sense. I deliberately smoke when filling my gas tank and working with natural gas because I understand the principles involved and most others do not. You can put your cigarette out in gasoline without any risk. Didn't know that did you o:).

I like annoying people that rely on urban myths to do their thinking for them. Many of those that offer 'wisdom' are dumber than a box of dog-sh*t but since it meets the gratification of those seeking 'protection' and have absolutely no brains of their own, this information makes them happy and secure in theior own ignorance. ( no slam against you Wals...just commenting on the bliss of the 'unwashed masses' ).

Actually I did know that the risk is negligible: it's the vapour that's flammable, not the liquid. (Good old exploding Hollywood cars.)

As Peoples' exhibit 'A' - I offer the stupidity of Y2K. I had dumbasses at Ronnie's Rocket Ranch ( Martin Marrietta ) demanding Y2K certifications for mercury bulb t-stats. Secure in their stupidity, they took offence to being told they were being thoughtlessly extreme in their concerns. I hope the stupid f*****rs bought generators for their homes for the non-event. I work with powerhouses and know how they work. No powerhouse engineer would allow a computer to take complete control ( frankenstein fear ) but everyone else sucked it up because bad news sells!

What? You mean you didn't issue special "Y2K Certified" mercury bulb t-stats?!?!11!! You missed a big opportunity there ..! ;)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

taks

suxxors. uh, is that proper leet speak? o:)

taks

my favorite is the fear that using a cell phone while pumping gas can cause an explosion. at least with a cigarette there is an off chance that a stray ember could drop down near the opening and just happen to waft through the right mixture and cause an explosion. by off chance i mean extremely minute. cell phones, however, have no such off chance. it has happened, from what i've read, about 180 times, and nearly all of them as a result of women that get in and out of the car during the pumping process without touching the frame before going to the pump, i.e. static electricity discharge right at the opening of the tank, which is the only place you could reasonably expect the mixture of gas fumes and air to be the correct ratio.

taks

I'm afraid that as far as I'm concerned I'm not going to smoke while pumping gas. Apart from the obvious bad press if you did explode, it just sounds _wrong_.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 4 weeks later...

Been chuckling over AT&T's TV commercial about airline wireless coverage for a bit now. Just keep forgetting to post about it. They have a TV commercial lauding their wireless coverage onboard planes.

Doesn't mean it's safe though. Just that they have coverage on planes.

Take it however you will.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Been chuckling over AT&T's TV commercial about airline wireless coverage for a bit now. Just keep forgetting to post about it. They have a TV commercial lauding their wireless coverage onboard planes.

Doesn't mean it's safe though. Just that they have coverage on planes.

Take it however you will.

*expression of absolute menaficity*

-Elwood Blues

My brother bought an iphone last week and broke it yesterday. I mocked him.

If you were a good brother the mocking should have started at the purchase/wait-in-line-for-hours stage. $600.00 bucks for the cheap version is outrageous and dont even get me started on the monthly pricing.

I was mocking my sister before she even got in line.

Sister: "I'm going to get an iPhone."

Me: "I'm sorry."

Sister: "... Why would you say that?"

Me: "How much are you going to spend on that?"

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My brother bought an iphone last week and broke it yesterday. I mocked him.

If you were a good brother the mocking should have started at the purchase/wait-in-line-for-hours stage. $600.00 bucks for the cheap version is outrageous and dont even get me started on the monthly pricing.

Actually, the montly pricing is not that bad. It comes with unlimited internet use. Most cell services sell their data at a high price ($0.10 per kb). And the iPhone has full internet access. I accesssed this site on one last week!

Thomas Sowell

Well things may be different in the Sunshine State but here in Illinois the cheapest package you can buy is $59.99 and that only buys you 450 anytime minutes per month. In addition, Apple stupidly made the phones 2G instead of 3G and the download rate is abysmal. Highway robbery I say!

Well things may be different in the Sunshine State but here in Illinois the cheapest package you can buy is $59.99 and that only buys you 450 anytime minutes per month. In addition, Apple stupidly made the phones 2G instead of 3G and the download rate is abysmal. Highway robbery I say!

No, its the same everywhere. Its 450 voice min with unlimited internet/data/sms. As to the network, with EDGE GPRS the average b/w is 100 kbps. Plus is it wifi capable so you can max out in hotspots. There are a number of cities (like West Palm Beach) that have free wifi zones in poular shopping/business areas.

But here is a rumor for you, Santa Claus may be bringing us the HSDPA version.

Thomas Sowell

• 3 months later...

More proof fro CAA (BBC website)

"Mobile use is currently prohibited on planes because there is evidence that they interfere with onboard communication and navigation systems.

Research published in 2003 by the CAA found mobile phone signals skewed navigation bearing displays by up to five degrees. "

In your face, annoying upper middle class bint!

-Elwood Blues

well, as you can see, we had a gisagreement earlier. This seems to clinch it.

-Elwood Blues