Is there a browser out there that isnt garbage?

roshan

Opera behaves in an absolutely retarded manner when it comes to handling images. Images that are linked to from other sites (such as those embedded in forums) are not loaded by the browser unless they are supposed to be on the screen at that time. That means I can open 20 tabs of forum threads, but almost none of the pictures are loaded by the browser- which means I need to wait for each picture to load one by one after clicking on a tab.

Ive tried increasing the memory and also the disk cache of the browser to get it to load up the images in advance but it still doesnt.

I use Firefox, have for a long time now, never been unhappy with it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Another firefox supporter here. Updates are pretty regular, and extensions add a lot of customization. If you go tab crazy like me though, it can soak up ram like mad. I think at one point I had it using 800 megs of ram. Usually averages at about 250MB though.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Firefox is a top memory hog in my system. It is basically a mess of JavaScript/XUL on top of Gecko components and such. But memory was not a problem for me for a long time (my swap partition is never used).

However it is also very extensible. Much more than any other browser.

Edited by Diamond

I don't think Oerwinde is the best judge to go by though. I am nowhere near those numbers with FF and I am very fond of tabs as well. For me FF typically uses 70-150, depending on how many pages and how long it's been open. It's extremely rare that I go over 200k.

The customization of FF makes it my favorite browser by far. No one else is even close really.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Firefox is the best thing to happen to the internet. Tab browsing and lots of extensions you can add to it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I don't use the tabs - I don't notice any lag or severe memory hogging - even if I have many multiple windows open.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

firefoxcat.jpg

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

After trying IE, Netscape, and Opera over the years, I'm finally using Firefox. I won't go back. It works great, is fast and customizable, doesn't hog memory or performance on my system, and is closer to web specs than most other browsers (I hand-code html docs for fun so this matters to me.). This is one reason why it won't work on some sites that IE will work with. IE is known for allowing noncompliant conduct and some sites are written to take advantage of that. But I don't mind using IE for things like Windows Update or the occasional misbehaving website. Firefox does everything else, and does it better. I think I've had as many as 80 tabs running with no perceptible performance loss. Not bad for a wimpy AMD computer.

Edited by Wistrik

i'm using firefox myself, though not at home yet. no reason other than the fact that my system is a brand new build and i haven't worked other kinks out yet. not sure that i won't wipe and start over anyway.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Of the web browsers out there I only suggest two. Firefox and the Internet Explorer 7.0. If you hate using Microshaft then the best bet is Firefox. Jammed pack with features, reliable, and fast. Best web browser I have come across.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"