Best way to upgrade to vista?

Arkan

Say a friend of mine recently bought Vista (ew!). What would be the best way to upgrade. I'm thinking wipe the HD and install on a fresh partition (after backing up critical data, of course) so everything is "like new." Or should I install it over XP in an "upgrade" manner? I have never really been a fan of this method, for some reason. Also, which is the best one if he decides he doesn't like Vista at all and wants to go back?

Note, I've never used Vista before... :p

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It's much better to buy a new computer with a new OS installed.

Failing that, just upgrade and keep your data intact.

Failing that, get a new harddrive and install on that. (Harddrives are the best components to upgrade frequently, as they are ahead of the Moore's Law curve for performance improvement.)

Failing that, format it.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's much better to buy a new computer with a new OS installed.

Failing that, just upgrade and keep your data intact.

Failing that, get a new harddrive and install on that. (Harddrives are the best components to upgrade frequently, as they are ahead of the Moore's Law curve for performance improvement.)

Failing that, format it.

Well, a new comp is out of the question, really, as is a new HD. He's had the pc a while and it could probably do with a good format anyway. Not like backing up the data is a huge hassle. I've just always been a fan of a fresh new install...but maybe that's just me.

But why is it better to buy a new computer with Vista, especially if it surpasses the requirements and a clean HD?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Because there is no need to update an Operating System on an old machine. :)

It's by no means an OLD machine. It was just built about a year ago (give or take a month) and it does meet the requirements. Hell, it's better than most new machines that Vista probably comes with.

It's not a comment on the PC, it's a comment on the OS. There's really no requirement to upgrade an OS, unless there is a business need, or the person intends to continually upgrade and go for DirectX10 graphics, etc. But you already stated that the person wasn't in a position to upgrade the harddisk (one of the cheaper and certainly the highest return on investment and value component).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's not a comment on the PC, it's a comment on the OS. There's really no requirement to upgrade an OS, unless there is a business need, or the person intends to continually upgrade and go for DirectX10 graphics, etc. But you already stated that the person wasn't in a position to upgrade the harddisk (one of the cheaper and certainly the highest return on investment and value component).

I meant requirements as in system specs. He just wants Vista, and me to install it. I'm looking for the best way :)

we thought this were gonna be a jokes thread. you know...

step 1) take a sledgehammer to your pc as you will no doubt save money and lifespan by simply destroying your rig now w/o wasting time and effort on the install of vista.... and then having to wait while vista seemingly destroys your computer by inches.

step 2) with the time you saved by not installing vista...

etc.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

yes, i would have made some linux comment had you not beat me to the punchline, gromnir. oh, you forgot some ritual dance with an effigy burning in between step 1 and step 2.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Notice I have been very well behaved and NOT said anything about Vista, your friend and their lack of common sense / Lemming-like wish to jump off a proverbial cliff.

Your friend has just wasted money on Vista. But, if they think that it's better to have a shiny new OS to look at, rather than a new 300GB harddrive, or even a 8800GTS, then I am not in a position to tell them how to spend their money. I know what I'd rather have spent the cash on, though. :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Everyone is right - there is no compelling reason to upgrade a WinXP box to Vista, but if you must, I also recommend a clean install. (So either slick the HDD or get a new one.)

If your friend bought the "upgrade" version of Vista, you can still install it and register it properly on a fresh HDD - install it once, don't register, then install it again.

My dad pesters me with the looming upgrade to Vista.

I've hated it since Longhorn. I do not need suped up graphical OS, I can do that with java decently enough already.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Somewhat of a tangent, but for those who are in fact going to/have migrated to Vista, would you mind sharing why?

I was building a new gaming computer, and figured "why not - if it sucks that bad, I can always format and install XP"

I haven't done much of anything with it other than tinker with Vista and install and play games - the only compatibility dissappointment I have so far is KOTOR I.

However, I still stand by my statement that there's no compelling reason to upgrade to Vista right now.

When I buy a new PC, I get the latest OS. That is the only calculation that needs to be done, unless one performs a major upgrade (motherboard, harddrives, GPU and CPU, etc, etc).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

As one who has upgraded to Vista on a poor overworked Sempron the best bet is to do a complete and full install. Just keep in mind of the software and drivers you used and save them on a different hard drive or partition when you do the upgrade that way you can immediately plug them in when finished.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Somewhat of a tangent, but for those who are in fact going to/have migrated to Vista, would you mind sharing why?

I built a new PC a couple of months ago, and I went with Vista. I figured that I would want it sometime in another year or two, and I didn't want to have to pay for a new copy of XP for the interim or to have to mess around with installing an OS twice.