fallout 3

lol, nma thread for that article is teh funneh

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Sounds like **** to me.

* Falllouts retro future look has been replaced with a generic photorealism.

* Super Mutants look like Uruk-Hai(or something from Hellgate London) and wield warhammers, jumpsuits have been replaced with normal clothes

* Fallouts creative death sequences have been replaced with exploding body parts in matrix style slow motion

* FPS combat as predicted with a mana system that has been labelled as "action points"

* Instead of simulating a hunger/thirst cycle, food/water will function like healing potions

* BOS on the east coast? Hand held nuclear cannons? Cars with nuclear reactors in them that no one had the common sense to salvage? Sounds like the setting is being completely raped.

* Sewer/underground systems filled with super mutants AKA lots of dungeons

Sounds depressing to me.

Hand held nuclear cannons? ;)

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I might be sold on "hand held nuclear cannons" if it was more of a dirty-bomb type of thing, which would be slightly more plausible and workable. Mini-nukes... not so much.

As much as I might give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt, it does appear that while they're trying to maintain retro-future aesthetics on some level, they seem to have largely abandoned the "Science!" aspect of Fallout. But I could be proven wrong.

I think whole "Fat Man" (or whatever that "catapult" was called) is corny and ridiculous enough for being part of Fallout universe ;)

I think F3 might be great game after all :)

Sure, I doubt it has any chance against first two , but that doesn't mean game can't be awesome with its own merits.

And Fallout 3 will be Fallout game. How can it be so hard to understand?

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The Fat Man (nuclear hand-held catapult) is actually the only thing I have felt a strong aversion against so far.

But people will always whine and cry no matter what's presented to them so who cares about the tr00 Fallout fans?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The combat actually sounds a bit like Mass Effect, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Sure, if the game was Mass Effect. The game is Fallout so, it is a bad thing because its not Falloutish.

Fallout needs to be Fallout, not Mass Effect.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I was always of the opinion that Fallout needs to be Aliens vs. Predator 2 by Monolith.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Anyway, It looks like Bethesda is indeed making a game onpar with FOPOS instead of Fallout 1 and 2. They have failed to revive Fallout from the dead. They just simply animated the corpse.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well, I guess Bethesda can't please everyone with their design choices. Especially the more rabid fans who want *their* dream game. :aiee:

I think the design is sound, and I'm actually becoming more interested.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't think you can really judge the game until you actually see some in game footage.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

With an exception of the concept art, all the of screens are clearly in-game. Unless you mean in-game as someone playing it with a visual UI, then nevermind.

I got the impression that many of them were artificially souped-up from 'true' in-game, kinda like the trailer. Quite a few were very probably actual ingame though, and they were pretty good. Bit too photorealistic I guess, but it's not terribly out of shape.

* Fallouts creative death sequences have been replaced with exploding body parts in matrix style slow motion

It's exactly the same thing man. You're just as biased as all those hype-machines you keep blasting, if you say one is "Creative death sequences" and the other is "exploding body parts". That's what the original sequences were. Exploding body parts. I don't like slow motion either because I think it's stupid, but that's the only difference. I'm sure we can somehow turn it off, for our personal enjoyment.

* BOS on the east coast? Hand held nuclear cannons? Cars with nuclear reactors in them that no one had the common sense to salvage? Sounds like the setting is being completely raped.

Cause you know, the original Fallout didn't have nukes going off at random places, ultra-technological BOS enclaves, gigantic energy weapons that fired beams of light, and stuff like that. I agree that the degree of sillyness is higher, but it's again not some sort of catastrophic rapage - hey, talking deathclaws.

I'm actually rather encouraged by what we've seen so far. It was never going to be the kind of "real" FO3 hades and co keep bleating on about, cause guess what, you're never gonna get one. It might well turn out to be as bad as FOBOS, of course, but it's harder to tell on things like the exact feel and gameplay yet. I'd say what we've seen so far is more encouraging than "Oblivion with Guns".

God, I really hope they don't put the Oblivion persuade system in though. The dialogue screen just made me think of that.

Well, so far the fears of Oblivion with Guns seem to have been legitimate. It looks like it might be an entertaining game, just not Fallout.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

With an exception of the concept art, all the of screens are clearly in-game. Unless you mean in-game as someone playing it with a visual UI, then nevermind.

I got the impression that many of them were artificially souped-up from 'true' in-game, kinda like the trailer. Quite a few were very probably actual ingame though, and they were pretty good. Bit too photorealistic I guess, but it's not terribly out of shape.

Actually, the graphics are pretty tame for how late it's coming out. It's coming out at the end of 08, when long before then you have games that are much more technologically advanced like Crysis or even something like Mass Effect. Bethesda obviously put more work into the art direction rather than technologically advanced graphics.

Vic, that might be true. I hadn't thought about that because I'm not really interested in games pushing the envelope in technical graphics, and my comp couldn't handle even Oblivion at high settings anyway.

I really don't see what's so "Obv with Guns" about it, at the moment. Apart from maybe the combat.

From the descriptions I've heard, it doesn't seem like Oblivion w/ Guns at the moment. But it's not settled just yet. We won't be able to separate Oblivion from Fallout 3 until the extent of improvement in regards to the dialogue system is revealed. The combat could be just like Oblivion's and I wouldn't care. What I will not brook is a hotlink-style dialogue system in any incarnation. That's probably the only thing that would truly break the game for me.

The thing I hate too is how the camera view choice is likely the result of being designed for console first and PC second. A birds eye view click to move type system would suck on consoles, so we have to suffer because of it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well everything I saw was part of the cinematic sequence. I would never deign to say that it was an in-game screenshot, ever. It might be in the game, per se, but it is not a gameplaying sequence and, anyone who's had to watch the cool sequences of say, Mechwarrior III, IV, NWN/2 and others, where the opening sequences were always great to watch (a few times at least) and then play the game knows what I am talking about here.

The actual game play visuals are probably going to be a bit different. I am hoping that the visuals are more on par with what more current technological graphics innovations can achieve, though hopefully being able to keep the atmosphere of the original at least in terms of the gritty, searing and unforgiving landscapes with harsh lighting, bleak and blasted ruins and plenty of mutants crawling, slithering and shambling about.

As far as a hand held nuclear catapult, already got one, thanks. The military actually built and tested low yield battlefield nukes that could be launched with, get this, an 82mm mortar. I can only imagine what the poor bastards who tested it must have thought when they launched the dummy rounds for that one. They also designed, though never tested for feasability an extremely small low yield nuclear grenade. So, for a hand held catapult for launching a small nuke in Fallout -- not so far fetched. Just kind of silly. Like a nuclear mortar round, even.

I just think that all this talk, like most of what preceded NWN2 as an example, is very premature and is the grist that launches the ship of expectations, which inevitably gets dashed upon the reefs of reality on the shores of release.

I'll borrow a line from the NWN2 devs and declaim, "Temper your expectations."

Me, I'm going to wait and see when it gets released. Meanwhile, does anyone know where I can get copies of Fallout and Fallout 2? I only got to watch over the shoulder of a friend when they came out as I couldn't fork out the cash at the time. Heard lots and lots of good things, but, hey, I went for the frivolous luxury at the time of choosing to have food on my table instead. I know, it was a selfish and stupid thing to do, but you can't live with regrets.

regards,

dunniteowl

In all seriousness lies all lies, half truths, death, misery and the great suffering of the worlds. Embrace your seriousness, then poke it in the eye, push it down and give it a good swift kick. And in all seriousness, if you take me seriously, you're going to definitely regret it. 'Cause I'm just kidding, baby, yeah!

In the wild and magical land of Europe they're selling a DVD with all the currently released PC games (1,2,Tactics) but be warned, I believe they do not come patched.

Otherwise, they used to sell 1 and 2 in a dual jewelcase. Check Amazon.

Graci, signore, graci. Will do.

dunniteowl

In all seriousness lies all lies, half truths, death, misery and the great suffering of the worlds. Embrace your seriousness, then poke it in the eye, push it down and give it a good swift kick. And in all seriousness, if you take me seriously, you're going to definitely regret it. 'Cause I'm just kidding, baby, yeah!

Well everything I saw was part of the cinematic sequence. I would never deign to say that it was an in-game screenshot, ever. It might be in the game, per se, but it is not a gameplaying sequence and, anyone who's had to watch the cool sequences of say, Mechwarrior III, IV, NWN/2 and others, where the opening sequences were always great to watch (a few times at least) and then play the game knows what I am talking about here.

Uh, no... The graphics are only slightly better than Oblivion (which was an early 06 game, and was impressive for it's time) and it's going to come out at the end of 2008, that's a year and a half away. And this is coming from a studio that always had cutting edge tech when they're game is released. While the art direction looks superb, the actual graphics aren't anything all that special now, and won't be especially when it's released. If anything, it's going to look better, not worse later.

Go look at something like Crysis or Mass Effect, then look at Fallout 3. It's not even close to CG...

And as far as in-game with the UI included, you have two clear gameplay shots with the complete UI. The battle shot, and the Pip-Boy 3000 shot. The rest are taken from gameplay away from the player to show wider view of the gameplay scene.

Edited by Vic