How was the next next day?

SteveThaiBinh

I just looked at the resume of a guy who has my degree with a 3.6 GPA.

He's applying for 12.00 an hour and was a Pizza Hutt driver recently. God, I hope it's just him.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

He's applying for 12.00 an hour and was a Pizza Hutt driver recently. God, I hope it's just him.

It's not, psychology is a miserable profession to actually get a degree in if you want to make money. It's like being a pastor, teacher, or police officer. You do it because you want to help people. Or in the instance of a police officer you might also do it because you're a prick that enjoys inflicting power on other people, but I digress.

My dad's an MFT, I was majoring in it before I switched to the computers, and my sister's going for a degree in it. Trust me.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Yeh, I definitely agree about the Psychology comments. I've got a BSc in Psychology, and I'm currently in a job that has nothing to do with that. I really enjoyed my degree and found it incredibly interesting, not to mention the immense knowledge it's given me about the mind and whatnot, but career-wise, I sometimes wish I had gone with something a bit more vocational. I do have a dream to go back into something more Psychology-based, but money-wise, it's going to be hard. A lot of my friends who did Psychology with me have either gone into other areas, like teaching, or continued their education on a postgraduate level.

Today, I have mostly vegetated, due to illness, and planned a holiday with an insane friend of mine. It'll be wild :D

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

I'm not knocking Psychology knowledge-wise, there are still distant plans for a bachelor's in Psychology if and when I complete a Master's in Computer Science...but people that want to have a career with similar features to that of a psychologist and actually make money along the way go to med school and become a psychiatrist.

Tale, if you actually want to do something in the field of Psychology I would suggest interning at a local office while you work on your license, assuming things work similarly in your area to how they do in California.

That or the school thing, if you're at a big university you might be able to get your foot in the door with a Research Assistant position or some such.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

If you have the means to, I'd definitely recommend you going into as many Research Assistant positions as possible. One of my friends is currently doing a Masters in Health Psychology, I think, and she's going straight into a PhD, and she's had a couple of Research Assistant positions (non-permanent positions, as the research only had so much funding) and she worked as an Assistant Psychologist for some Clinical group, but she wasn't paid. Financially, it's quite tough, but take any means necessary to get relevant experience. Plus, you make a lot of contacts :)

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but, if you chose psychology then it wouldn't have been for the cash remunerations ... so it makes sense to get out there and enjoy doing it, after all that is the trade-off ($big to do stuff you don't like versus enjoying what you do = never working a day in your life).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Are you people kidding? Here in Portugal a good clinical psychologist can make from 60

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What is "good"?

There is no maximum charge for a "good" anything. The problem with psychology degrees is that the demand is fall less than supply. Usually it takes about ten years of commercial experience (doing HR in a big company, typically) before a graduate can earn anything over a non-graduate wage.

But the best of the best always do better / well.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but, if you chose psychology then it wouldn't have been for the cash remunerations ... so it makes sense to get out there and enjoy doing it, after all that is the trade-off ($big to do stuff you don't like versus enjoying what you do = never working a day in your life).

Considering most people make their degree choice when they're 16-17 years old, I'd have to agree with you... money definitely didn't have much to do with my decision, but what with how the world works and growing older, money is something you have to take into consideration. Most 21 year olds I know are not in a position to be able to make that trade-off... sure, you're doing something you enjoy and find interesting, plus helping others in a pseudo-altruistic way, but you can barely afford to feed yourself. But I guess, that would be too obvious :)

I've met psychotherapists who could win a Nobel prize in Snake Oil and Copper Cancer Therapy. They're either too stand offish ("What do YOU think? No, no, I'm just asking how YOU feel"), or they're too involved ("I think you should kill your parents, because that's what I did").

Psychology is IMO a damn fine discipline, if the correct lessons are learned regarding scientific enquyiry and clinical practice. The question of pay is as usul utterly dependent on what PROCEDURAL skills you learn. What things you learn that other people can't do. Hence if you learn how to do stats and set up a valid null hypothesis then you'll rarely be short of a job. If all you learn is that babies are weird then you'll have a harder time.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Went hiking again today. 8 miles, last 2 miles were really bad. Just super hot and sunny. Plus all my water and stuff was just a tad colder than luke warm so I was like :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

It's not, psychology is a miserable profession to actually get a degree in if you want to make money. It's like being a pastor, teacher, or police officer. You do it because you want to help people. Or in the instance of a police officer you might also do it because you're a prick that enjoys inflicting power on other people, but I digress.

My dad's an MFT, I was majoring in it before I switched to the computers, and my sister's going for a degree in it. Trust me.

2 things.

1) DELIVERING PIZZA

2) In this area, if you have any degree at all, you can make more than that.

There's a difference between 12 dollars an hour doing data entry and entry level accounting with a college degree and doing, hell, police work. Police get paid significantly more than that around here.

I'm not knocking the fact that he's not making 200k a year. I'm knocking the fact that he's doing data entry and pizza delivery. He's doing jobs typical of 17 year old high school kids, 4 years after he got a bachelors.

Edited by Tale

Arts degree graduates now actually have a lower mean salary than people who have no tertiary qualification, here in the UK.

Maybe the same is true in Texas. I think he got a Liberal Arts degree before his BA in Psych.

Go to law school. ;)

Most law schools have dropped the 'immortal soul' admission fee, so it'll only cost you three years and another $80K in debt*!!

C'mon, you know you want to!

*Note: upon graduation, there are many soul-forfeiture options to reduce this debt load.

Law's a bitch to get into.

It's worrisome, I certainly want to be successful but the only course I've shown anything close to aptitude in is philosophy, which career-wise is worse than a Bachelors of Arts (or a Bachelors of Attendance, as we call it around here) and that's rare.

Guest The Architect

Yesterday was sad.

I took the day off TAFE and went to the zoo for free with my Dad {you know, 'cause I'm one of the attractions there :verymad:} and helped him with business regarding a new chain that has to be brought in for this incredibly tough ass four year old elephant who's already bloody broken half a dozen chains and pulled their anchors out from under the ground. The chain can't be too heavy because the elephant could get hurt, but if it isn't heavy enough, he'll just keep breaking the chains. I can't imagine what he'll be like when he reaches his prime.

Yeah anyway, that was all good; we got some food and stuff on the way out of the zoo and then... we got a call from my Mum, who told us the Nursing Home told her Nonna's on her deathbed and at max... has two days to live. So me, my Dad and all of my Nonna's closest family members rushed over to the home and said our goodbyes to her. She's still alive, but most likely today's her last day, and that sucks, because she was the best Nonna I could've asked for.

And I also learned my lesson not to go to bed about 45 minutes after eating a pizza and a half. Gah!

So now, obviously I'm on the forum. I've decided to take the day off TAFE again today.

Edited by The Architect