Movies You Have Seen Lately

SteveThaiBinh

I went to see the Bourne Ultimatum yesterday afternoon. I really liked the movie, but I do think that the shaky cam was horribly overused. I really didn't mind it in the action scenes, but there is absolutely no reason for them to be used in every effing dialogue scene as well! :unsure:

Edited by Deraldin

Shaky Cam has been way overused since Saving Private Ryan. There are times when it works well, most of the time it is just annoying and kills an action scene.

Just saw Hot Fuzz. Has a great and hilarious twist and some very funny moments. Unfortunatly the action scenes were kind of disapointing due to bad editing.

Firefly.

I'm still watching the pilot. From what I've seen the casting seems spot on.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Now that 300 has been done, they could do a historical version(based on the Gates of Fire, preferably) or one that didn't have the Persians as evil incarnate. Though I've heard talks about a Cyrus movie.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

28 Weeks Later

Now, I consider the prequel the best movie in the zombie horror genre. It's bleak, it's perfectly shot, it's gruesome and scary, without being splatterish or going for shock tactics. It also has the one thing that makes a great zombie movie, the thing that Romero never seems to get, - it's a tale of survival from a human's point of view. It doesn't invest a big amount of time to show off the undead(or infected in this case) and it doesn't provide the cast of characters with a variety of killing methods and transform into a gory shooting gallery. Instead, the director provides an enviroment that's hostile and deadly(and a transfiguration of threat and alieniation over casual elements like a street in Camden or a rest stop) and introduces a cast of characters to survive that, ones that are easy to sympathize with.

This is where 28 Weeks Later fails - it kills off main characters just as you start to hold some sympathy towards them, it features tons of military and enviroments like bases, warehouses and silos that are like hallways from any game, bleak and unforgiving, but never having the alienation effect, it does away with hope and desperation with constant knowledge that anyone can die, that everyone is expendable and closely examines the undeath, trivialising them via such things as military analysts and infected-genocide with gas and fire-bombing. You could say the hopelessness and bleakness is the movie's greatest strength, but, just as the music guys never got that with the overkill of that one GY!BE track, enough is quite enough.

Also, the movie wasn't really British enough. For once, that is a con.

Honestly I enjoyed the sequel more. But before I go on and talk about that, I first want to recommend the movie "Sunshine" to you. It has the same actors, writers, and directors as 28 Days Later. It's an extremely good low-budget sci-fi thriller. However, like 28 days later, the film turns into a slasher at the end.

Anyway, I loved the moral ambiguity of 28 Weeks Later. It's rather, do you want to become infected, or get shot by the snipers? I loved how the virus started spreading again, through a kiss. This is somehow very symbolic of the nature of love "betraying us", or maybe I am simply reading into the film too much. Because someone took "more than a heartbeat" around the woman who was infected; all hell broke loose.

Either way, I loved the premise of the sequel, though the execution leaves a little bit to be desired. I'd still give it 3 1/2 out of 4 nevertheless.

The opening scene in 28 Days Later is to me one of the greatest scenes in recent film history. Just imagine being in his place....

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

- John Lennon

I loved the opening, absolutely brilliant.

I'll check out Sunshine, thanks.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

300. Amazing fight scenes. I do wish Hollywood would make an effort to stay true to the event. The real battle of Thermopylae was even more insane and gruesome than any fantasy/mythology version could ever portray.

Hollywood did stay true to the event. The event in this case was Frank Miller's comics. It's good to see Hollywood finally doing movies that stay true to the source material that its based on - the comics!

Samurai I - Musashi Miyamoto

Badass, its about my former life

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The Simpsons Movie. I was extra hard on it, and I still laughed a lot. Not so much in the last third, but still miles better than any other comedy film I've watched recently.

Newly re-awakened ambition: own a pig.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

300. Amazing fight scenes. I do wish Hollywood would make an effort to stay true to the event. The real battle of Thermopylae was even more insane and gruesome than any fantasy/mythology version could ever portray.

Hollywood did stay true to the event. The event in this case was Frank Miller's comics. It's good to see Hollywood finally doing movies that stay true to the source material that its based on - the comics!

That's not entirely true. It did stray from the comic in some serious ways. The parts with Leonidas's wife and the Senator being the prime example (and to the movie's detriment).

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Still as good as the first time I saw it.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Starship Troopers. I love this show.

Dude! I just watched that last night! It's definitely one of my favorite DVDs. "They'll keep fighting... and they'll WIN!"

I borrowed the first two Bourne movies from a co-worker over the past two weeks. I had never got around to seeing them, for whatever reason, but I enjoyed them and am looking forward to seeing the third.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Starship Troopers. I love this show.

Dude! I just watched that last night! It's definitely one of my favorite DVDs. "They'll keep fighting... and they'll WIN!"

I borrowed the first two Bourne movies from a co-worker over the past two weeks.

haha, Drabs, I just watched the second installment in the Bourne series the other night. It's not quite as cool as the first, but hey, it's a sequel.

Anyhoo, I've been watching quite a few movies this past week. I'd say my favorite of the bunch has been The Outlaw Josey Wales. Eastwood spitting his chew on everything was hilarious.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Since I double posted, I might as well list what else I've been watching this week. Old stuff like The Falcon And The Snowman.

And Backbeat! Which I should add is a very entertaining piece of film, if not for the music alone.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Watched Alpha Dog. Movie sucked pretty hardcore. There was one scene where a crazy jewish dude punches a black chick in the face and takes out like 5 dudes in a party and that part was freakin awesome but other than that it sucked. Simple but important concept that relates to the youth but kind of wasted since kids are utterly and incomprehensibly retarded. Bad acting, unrealistic amounts of drugs and alcohol, and stupid opening and ending video clips has earned this movie a 5/10.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Just came back from the Simpson's Movie. Better than I thought it would be...not as good as I hoped. Good enough, though. It's just too bad they can't capture the same quality as in the first decade of the show...but hell..that's what 18 or so years will get you...

Recently I saw Bourne Ultimatum. Very good. The scene in Morrocco was awesome.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta