Overlord

Ever heard of this game? It's from Triumph Interactive, makers of the Age of Wonder series.

Website

Seems like it's a funny mix of RTS, action Adventure and Dungeon Keeper. I never really knew what that game really is about, but there're now two gameplay videos in HD res available, which really spiked my interest. There will also be a playable demo available, this or next week.

Gameplay video Part1

Gameplay video Part2

Totally hilarious! :)

Looks like there's finally going to be some spiritual successing in the wake of the long-dead DK franchise.

Colour me interested. In an orange hue.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Big list for being a Good Evil Overlord

#1 Never ever do the "tell the good guys your plans once you entrap them"-routine, you'll regret it later, while slowly descending to bubbling lava or similar rather deadly abyss.

#2 If you destroy a small town, say...with a horde of zombies, make sure you kill every last straggler there. Orphans and trauma-induced amnesiacs can be dangerous in the long run

#3 Be nice to your lieutenants: Befriend them, make sure they have medi-care and dentristy and above all: do not change your overall plans or over-rule any decisions that align with your lieutenants alignments or code of honour. Angry lieutenant=rebellious lieutenant=dead overlord.

#4 Make sure you concubines and mistresses love you above all. Not the hero, not the hero's dead father, not his dog or familiar or family code. Unless you want to invest in even more winetasters.

#5 Muhawhawhawhaaa in moderation and your eyes open, nary a knife needs a bigger opening.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

why do I get the feeling that you are going to be hunted by some bumbling idiot (like the three 'adventurers' who work for you at crossroads keep in NWN2) who dies in twenty seconds?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

*sees the mention of DK in a post*

*clicks link*

*jumps up and down in excitement*

Yessssss!!!

Please be good, unlike Evil Genius, please be good, please be good ....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

*sees the mention of DK in a post*

*clicks link*

*jumps up and down in excitement*

Yessssss!!!

Please be good, unlike Evil Genius, please be good, please be good ....

from what I can tell you don't make a lair... rather you roam around on a hose with a horde of goblins following and you pilliage your way through the world.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The 2nd video shows you fetching a crane to rebuild your castle - and there's the dungeon heart like thing ... plus other little castle touches.

Has more of the action-rpg gameplay look, but seems both funny and may have some 'lair' stuff.

More importanly, it has stupid minions who wear pumpkins on their heads.

Edit: Supposedly there's a demo coming in a week or so

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

#1 Never ever do the "tell the good guys your plans once you entrap them"-routine, you'll regret it later, while slowly descending to bubbling lava or similar rather deadly abyss.

#2 If you destroy a small town, say...with a horde of zombies, make sure you kill every last straggler there. Orphans and trauma-induced amnesiacs can be dangerous in the long run

#3 Be nice to your lieutenants: Befriend them, make sure they have medi-care and dentristy and above all: do not change your overall plans or over-rule any decisions that align with your lieutenants alignments or code of honour. Angry lieutenant=rebellious lieutenant=dead overlord.

#4 Make sure you concubines and mistresses love you above all. Not the hero, not the hero's dead father, not his dog or familiar or family code. Unless you want to invest in even more winetasters.

#5 Muhawhawhawhaaa in moderation and your eyes open, nary a knife needs a bigger opening.

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

This game looks like a fun diversion. I'm all for minions running around with pumpkins on their heads.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

You sir, just won several thousands of internets :thumbsup:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Aha, my allusion was spotted.

That list is worth it's kilobytic weight in gold. Which is, relatively, quite a lot.

Also, pumpkinheads ftw.

kirottu said:

Overlord is developer Triumph Studios' attempt at creating a universal remedy for over-exposure to fantasy works, a common malady in our post-Lord of the Rings, post-Harry Potter world. It ruthlessly pillories every fantasy staple ingredient - your first opponents will be out-of-control halflings under the command of a grossly obese former hobbit hero, and you'll find yourself tearing a swathe of destruction through halfling-burrows which look suspiciously like those we're used to seeing in Lord of the Rings.

Okay, NOW I'm interested. :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yes, yes, YES!

kirottu said:

Pretty interesting game especially for for me and other old Dungeon Keeper fans :huh:

But what we really need is the proper Dungeon Keeper sequel or a game which will be a total copycat! :mellow:

I just tried the 360 version demo on Live Marketplace. Game is pretty cool. The sense of humor so far is very nice.

Burning hobbits hiding in wheat fields will never get old.

I'll pick it up eventually.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Going by the demo, the gameplay seems a little simplistic, but fun nonetheless. I imagine things will get more interesting when you have all four minion types to play with.

Gameplay aside though, the spot on humour of the story/setting coupled with what appears to be great voice acting should be worth the price of admission alone. I'll be picking it up as soon as it comes out.

Anybody know anything about the devs? Do they have some kind of relation to Bullfrog?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I liked Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic a fair bit.

Going by their previous games, they definetly know a lot about fantasy cliches at least. :)

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: