KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 23

Okay, I'm new here, and evryone here is excited by the idea of KOTOR 3, but let's look at the big picture here. Obviously, we know that Bioware is not making it, and Obsidian has'nt said anything except "We would be happy to make a KOTOR3, If Lucas Arts wants us to.", and that does'nt tell us squat. So let's imagine briefly that it's christmas. Let's imagine that KOTOR3 has been released. Obviously, Just about everyone who played the first two will want it. Nobody will be buying Bioware's new game, Mass Effect, and that will piss them off. That is why we have not heard from LA or anyone who is involved in K3's production will speak about it. Recently, Bioware has supposedly pushed back the release date of Mass Effect, keeping us in the dark longer. Obviously, LA isn't saying anything out of respect for KOTOR's original producers. This is where the purpose of Mass Effect is revealed. It is an attempt to make the public forget about KOTOR, and therefore screwing over whoevere LA hired to make the third installment of KOTOR. Now the problem stated above comes into effect. KOTOR3 will not be announced until Mass Effect is released and properly marketed. Mass Effect's Release date has not been even been announced. So now we have yet another problem- Bioware's HUGE efforts to publicize Mass Effect. The guys at the Bioware forum are very excited about it. And so far everyone else is too. So that's yet another shadow over the production of KOTOR3. Now, for some good news. Mass Effect serves as good evidence that K3 will happen, and with somebody close to Bioware, because instead of messing up somebody else's sales, perhaps they are helping them by covering it up wiith another good game. That way, their partner has the time to produce an extremely high quality product, instead of a low-quality one. Further, it is remotely possible that KOTOR is directly responsible for the unannounced release date of Mass Effect. It is possible that that the developers of K3 have encountered a large problem in the game and Bioware is helping keep it under raps. Now my direst prediction: K3 will not be released until summer 08'.

Welcome to the boards.

Known facts;

Games are released at a date calculated to sell.

LA has stated that the time given for a games development is 18 months

LA makes the developers sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Conclusions;

The best date to release a computer game is around Christmas, since everyone is looking for presents for people during this time reviews are (At least to start with) less important as a large number of games will be bought for other people baised on what they might like-IE 'They like Starwars so we'll get them this'. Afterwards people with new computers/consoles will be looking for games and, likewise, will be more likely to buy whats on offer. Although games are, of course, released all year around LA does have a habit of releasing their major games around X-Mas-this in fact is why the development of K2 was rushed. As K3 would be a big Starwars game it would be somewhat surprising if K3 wasn't released around Christmas. The only alternitive would be if they intend to release K3 around a time when interest in SW was rising, which since there are no more films in the works could mean its intended for release when the live action series is out-which would be 2009?

If K3 follows the 18 months development standard and is intended for an X-Mas release then it would, logically, be slated for a 2007 or 2008 release date. While K3 could be set for 2009 I think that this would be to long a gap between the games, and no matter how good LA's marketing people might be they would have a very hard time getting people interested in the game after such a long period. If K3 is intended for X-Mas 2007 then the game would have been started in or around June 2006, if it is intended for 2008 then they would have started work about a month ago. If the game is intended for release in 2008 it would make perfect sense of everything that has (and hasn't) been said. Consider that Bioware could well be K3's developers, but if it was intended for a 2008 X-Mas release then they would only have started working on it in the last month-and their comments about 'If LA asks we'd be happy to work on it' could be explained as Bioware not having signed anything at that point.

Just because we haven't heard anything about K3 from any source isn't all that surprising. Whoever is (or has been) chosen to make K3 wouldn't be able to say anything. LA is a big company, and one that has a well known trademark. Starwars games, no matter how bad they might turn out to be, tend to sell quite well and this is to the advantage of the devlopers-not just because of the money they get from the sales, but also because they can point to a high selling game in future. Therefore keeping quiet about K3 so LA doesn't get annoyed at the developers and would be willing to give them more work in the future makes perfect sense. It should also be remembered that the disclosure agreement is a legal document, if the developers did say anything LA would not only be able to pull the plug and give the game to someone else but they could sue the company in question-which even if it didn't finish the company off would make sure that no major project would be offered to that developer again, which would finish them off soon enough.

In answer to some of your comments;

So let's imagine briefly that it's christmas. Let's imagine that KOTOR3 has been released. Obviously, Just about everyone who played the first two will want it.

Sort of, it would be more accurate to say that the people who played the first two game would be interested in K3. But I've read enough from loads of people who played the first games who have stated that, due to K2 having been rushed and crippled as a result, they will not be running off to buy K3 but who will sit back and wait for the detailed reviews first. Assuming that K3 isn't rushed and is a good game in its own right, LA is either going to have to settle for slow sales to start with or do a lot of work to convince people that the game hasn't been rushed and full of bugs. Since I doubt that LA would be happy with the first would forsee a lot of information coming out in the two or three months prior to K3's release, and possibaly a lot of people getting to play the game during this time-if K3 is due to be out this year I'd expect information to start cropping up around September/October.

. Obviously, LA isn't saying anything out of respect for KOTOR's original producers. This is where the purpose of Mass Effect is revealed. It is an attempt to make the public forget about KOTOR, and therefore screwing over whoevere LA hired to make the third installment of KOTOR.

This makes no sense what-so-ever. Bioware is not going to screw around with LA directly or indirectly, if they did LA would simply take their business elsewhere. Also bare in mind that Starwars is, like Star Trek, a brand name that sells regardless of content, Mass Effect-no matter how good-is not going to be able to compete with a Starwars game since there will be a lot of people who don't normally buy games but who will buy something with Starwars on the box.

LA might be respectful towards Bioware-there is no practical reason for them not to be-but this wouldn't stop them from competing with them. All is fair in love, war and marketing and LA would not hesitate to set K3's release date at the same time as Mass Effect if they felt the game would still sell.

KOTOR3 will not be announced until Mass Effect is released and properly marketed. Mass Effect's Release date has not been even been announced. So now we have yet another problem- Bioware's HUGE efforts to publicize Mass Effect. The guys at the Bioware forum are very excited about it. And so far everyone else is too. So that's yet another shadow over the production of KOTOR3.

Most of this is conjecture, and would imply that Bioware is well aware of LA's plans for K3 and LA is in turn aware of Biowares plans for Mass Effect. If Bioware isn't developing K3 this is frankly impossible-they are totally different companies and wouldn't share such information. On the other side if Bioware is/will be working on K3 then they would of course know the details, but this would also mean that the comment about Mass Effect being intended to make people forget about K3 is nonsense-Bioware would not want people to forget about their next major game.

Mass Effect serves as good evidence that K3 will happen, and with somebody close to Bioware, because instead of messing up somebody else's sales, perhaps they are helping them by covering it up wiith another good game. That way, their partner has the time to produce an extremely high quality product, instead of a low-quality one. Further, it is remotely possible that KOTOR is directly responsible for the unannounced release date of Mass Effect. It is possible that that the developers of K3 have encountered a large problem in the game and Bioware is helping keep it under raps.

I fail to see the logic. Why would Bioware want to help LA out with K3 if they are not working on the game? Even if the developers for K3 are close to bioware they couldn't tell Bioware anything about the game because of the nondisclosure agreement. This also fails to tally with the comment about Mass Effect being intended to make people forget about K3-helping them cover up wouldn't go with this.

The only sense I can make of this, and the only way I can bring your comments together, would be to assume that Bioware is, in fact, the developer of K3. If they were then they would, of course, know when K3 is due to be released and would be able to set the release date of Mass Effect so the two don't clash-which would be in the interests of both Bioware and LA. The hype/marketing about Mass Effect would and could serve as a good smoke screen for K3, allowing Bioware to work on that game without being pestered for information and giving LA more latitude in exactly when K3 is released should the project run into trouble.

This, of course, is conjecture and at present there is no indication that anyone-let alone Bioware-is working on K3, let alone when K3 might be released. That Knights of the Old Republic 3 will happen should be given basied on current information/comments from Lucasarts and the unlikely hood that they would fail to finish a game series that will sell.

I should have added that from both LA and Biowares point of view releasing Mass Effect before K3-and assuming Bioware is K3's developer-might, if the game gets good reviews, help to reasure people that K3 is going to be a quality product and not a rushed project that will be full of stupid bugs.

I just wish LA would come out and say whether or not they plan on completing the KotOR trilogy so, we can all get on with our lives...

As for my ideas for K3...(I don't recall whether I posted said ideas or not)

Both Revan and the Exile are featured in the game. How the previous two games ended will not matter this time since the true sith are a threat to everyone, regardless of force alignment.

You will start out as the Exile, on his/her way back to one of the planets from one of the previous games to begin the first part of the game. You have a vision that shows some strange-looking humanoid beings preparing for battle. You rendezvous with the admiral from K2, whether it be Carth or that other guy, and explain to him the vision you had and what must be done.

While preparing to leave Telos, you are approached by a rather odd-looking person. They look human, only not quite. After conversing with the person, you realize that he/she is one of the Sith scouts that was sent. They reveal to you the attack the Sith are planning and engage you. After defeating him/her, you run back to tell the admiral of impending attack only to find him missing, with a datapad laying on the ground. Upon reading the datapad, you learn that the Sith, much like the Yuuzan Vong during the Clone Wars, have sent scouts to a number of different planets and what their plans are for the admiral.

You rush back to your ship and, while preparing to leave, have another vision. You make your way to a planet mentioned in the datapad.

That's about all I could come up with in 5 minutes...

Edited by Jambo

also bothan spy7 i guess you didn't see microsofts stage show at E3 this year they said mass effect is coming out in november this year 16th i think, go to gamespot and watch it there they also did a gameplay demo for the game there as well.

The release date may be different in other countries but play.com UK has it scheduled for 16/11/07 as well, you can also pre order it now from them.

I can sort of understand what your trying to say but what I think is more likely is LA waiting to see how Mass effect plays and how gamers take to it which i suspect they will, I personally can't wait to play ME if its anywere near as good as it looks it should be amazing. Then (and this is just my opinion,) I think LA will proberly License the ME engine and use it to create Kotor 3, It would certainly cut down the production time of Kotor 3 if LA don't Have to create the game engine Themselves.

Keep An eye out For LA anouncements around X-mas and new year if they are going to make an Kotor 3 I suspect we should hear something concreate then possibly a release date set for X-mas 08 1st Q 09 LA anounced The Force Unleashed at the begining of this year so i suspect kotor 3 will proberly be there big anouncement next year.

You have to remember that LA have been pretty busy this year working on FU as well as the guy at obsidian (forgot his name,) who wrote the cliff hanger ending and left us in this feverish anticipation god damm him would of been kept busy at obsidian as well.

The one thing the star wars uninverse always has had is a nice clean ending to anything that is produced in its universe they will want to finish the Kotor story we just have to be patient they will make Kotor 3

cheers

Tommo

:wowey:

I just wish LA would come out and say whether or not they plan on completing the KotOR trilogy so, we can all get on with our lives...

Both Revan and the Exile are featured in the game. How the previous two games ended will not matter this time since the true sith are a threat to everyone, regardless of force alignment.

You will start out as the Exile, on his/her way back to one of the planets from one of the previous games to begin the first part of the game. You have a vision that shows some strange-looking humanoid beings preparing for battle. You rendezvous with the admiral from K2, whether it be Carth or that other guy, and explain to him the vision you had and what must be done.

While preparing to leave Telos, you are approached by a rather odd-looking person. They look human, only not quite. After conversing with the person, you realize that he/she is one of the Sith scouts that was sent. They reveal to you the attack the Sith are planning and engage you. After defeating him/her, you run back to tell the admiral of impending attack only to find him missing, with a datapad laying on the ground. Upon reading the datapad, you learn that the Sith, much like the Yuuzan Vong during the Clone Wars, have sent scouts to a number of different planets and what their plans are for the admiral.

You rush back to your ship and, while preparing to leave, have another vision. You make your way to a planet mentioned in the datapad.

No announcement at E3 this year means there will be no K3 for at least two more years. Or possibly, at all.

Mark that down. LucasArts is just not into it.

No announcement at E3 this year means there will be no K3 for at least two more years. Or possibly, at all.

They didn't announce a single game at E3, does that mean that they will stop making games at all?

The E3 is not what it used to be, there are plenty of other events they can use to announce new games, both in the gaming world and in Star Wars conventions.

The last thing they will do, is to announce KOTOR 3 while Force Unleashed isn't out yet.

It is possible that KOTOR 3 won't happen in the near future, but LucasArts not showing anything at E3 has absolutely nothing to do with it. Nor is it any prove for a lack of interest.

I think LA's focus is going to be in the III-IV era for a while

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Hello, i am new here o:)

And i am here to say obsidian my ideas for star wars knights of the old republic III

Better graphics than project sylpheed, they say they have unparalleled graphics but, i don't believe it, here is the link to their page:

http://www.microsoft.com/xbox/projectsylpheed/top.html

New Force Powers

New Feats

Revan (male) and exile (female) as main characters

better campaign

New planets like coruscant, corellia and others

huge and destructive battles

romances like the one with revan and bastila

able to create your own UNIQUE lightsaber

New weapons, armbands etc.

New enemies

bastila Shan, canderous ordo (mandalore), possible carth Onasi and new characters as party members

CO-OP in campaign

And many Jedi.vs.Sith battles... i mean lightsaber and force power battles

THANK FOR HEARD ME, OBSIDIAN!!!

Edited by theratboy66

YOURE WELCOME!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Why not just have an entire subforum dedicated to KOTOR 3? That way it may be easier to filter through all the ideas, plotlines, future items, etc.

I think that'll happen if it becomes official that Obs is devving K3

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Guest Accept
I think that'll happen if it becomes official that Obs is devving K3

But if that actually do happen we all will leave the board and die happy.

But in the meantime, we'll talk about how Chuck Norris, Pierce Brosnan, and LaDanian Tomnlinson wear Darth Revan pajamas...

DAWUSS

...or, instead of your private fantasies, we could use this thread for its intended purpose: K3.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

First of all, as a birthday present, someone who barely knows what video games are got me K2 before I had K1, not knowing they have linked stories, and I still don't have the original so this is all ideas from K2. Now, I don't know what the story of K3 could be, but I have a few suggestions:

1. This has probably been said several times before, but I HAVE to be able to create a character. And I mean actually create. I want to be a rainbow-colored Twi'lek that has 3 arms, 4 legs, and 700+ lekku! Well, not really, but still.

2. I thought the whole influence thing was a great idea in K2, but they didn't really do anything with it. It only unlocked new content, it didn't really effect the story. Case in point: If you're playing as a female, it seemed like not matter how many times you insulted him and how far you fell to the dark side, Atton still loved you. It would be great if you could actually change his mind.

3. A much more active story. In K2, it sometimes felt like you were just walking around aimlessly. The biggest twists were the characters' back stories. I'd love to see a game where you can give the story a break and go around gaining XP and breaking into lockers for an hour, and then get back to your quests and instantly have someone get killed or your ship blown up or something. I know the Sith Triumvirate only had three Sith Lords, but that's no reason for their laziness. The Sith are supposed to crave power! The only power they'll get from sitting on their holocouch or whatever all day is Intermediate Body Slam (No saving throws can stop it, but player cannot attack for 2-4 seconds afterwards)!

The stories aren't particularly linked. At least not in any significant way beyond a few mentions and brief cameos.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The stories aren't particularly linked. At least not in any significant way beyond a few mentions and brief cameos.

yepp thats what the 3rd one is going to be is the link between the 2 most likely !! finishing the stories !!

Edited by dustin19

I do not fear the darkside as you do - Anikin Skywalker / Lord Vader

yepp thats what the 3rd one is going to be is the link between the 2 most likely !! finishing the stories !!

All 16 (really more than 16, but let's keep it at that for simplicity's sake)?

DAWUSS

Okay, holy crap, I check 3 days in a row, and nobody had posted anything, I come back after a week, and now my eyes are sore. A couple of comments, Mortis, I'm sure this is merely a typo, or you meant to say one thing, but said another, but it wasn't Bioware that said they would love to work on K3 if LA asked them, it was Obsidian. Also, with the love/war relationship between LA, Bioware, and even Obsidian, as I've said before, K2 used Bioware's Odyssey Engine, which would also lead to the assumption that Bioware, directly or indirectly, was related to K2, and probably profited from it. Let's say LA offered the contract to Bioware first, but, as Bioware has stated before, they do not want to make the game. So, LA goes to their next most reliable company, Obsidian. Well, Obsidian has plans to use the Mass Effect Engine, but Bioware says that they can not release K3 until after Mass Effect comes out. This, combined with LA's non-disclosure agreement, puts a possible scenario into play. Now granted, I am not an employee of any of these companies, nor do I know an "insider," I simply think of possibilities.

In response to another, someone stated that because it was not announced at E3, it will not debut for 2-3 years, if at all. I am in heavy disagreement with this statement, as there were really not any big new game drops at E3. Sure, there were updates on all the known big names that are releasing soon, but no big announcements. I really doubt the idea that LA will no longer make games, as they've already got TFU, and a couple other games slated for release in the near future. The Star Wars brand will always be a marketable name, and therefore stupid to leave behind. I mean, they have yet to make LotOR: Legos of the Old Republic. Haha, which I think I would buy. Anyways, they will milk Star Wars until they've squeezed the last penny of it, regardless of product quality.a

Bioware and Obsidian are linked due to their combined history with Black Isle Studios (company which made Baldur's Gate).

Bioware opted to not make K2 and passed it on to Obsidian with LA's blessing. To make it easier, Bioware let Obsidian use the engine from K1.

-------------------------

It really would be nice for SOMEONE to make some definitive statement about K3 instead of staying completely silent - even if it was "We're going to make it, just not yet" so then we can end the constant speculation on who's going to make it - and silence the sceptics who keep claiming that it's never going to happen :bat:

Anyhoo - I've just started playing my old K1 again (reading on these forums has got me nostalgic :)) and I would love for K3 to have more variety of classes to be (tech specialist etc.) and to make the level-up system much more like NWN in that you can take a level of whatever class you like (within reason) at each level up...thus when/if you become a jedi, you can still increase your original class to gain more there - this would particularly help if your initial class was something like Scoundrel (sneak attack) or Scout (uncanny dodge) and stuff like that...

Also - choosing your race would be nice...I'd love to play a kel-dor jedi like in Jedi Academy :)

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

Uhh, Bio doesn't really have much to do with Black Isle. Black Isle was their publisher and its people gave some little help with Bio's early games such as BG's, but that's it.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

It really would be nice for SOMEONE to make some definitive statement about K3 instead of staying completely silent - even if it was "We're going to make it, just not yet" so then we can end the constant speculation on who's going to make it - and silence the sceptics who keep claiming that it's never going to happen o:)

They've already made statements to the effect that they'd like to go back and revisit it, but this is no sure statement that they will. They can't make a statement that they will until they've started and gotten significantly into it that they feel confident with what is being created. You won't be able to end any speculation on who's going to make it until a contract is signed for someone to make it, anyway. Ultimately, a definitive statement requires them to be definitive about whether they're going to make it or not. Game companies don't plan on definitively making a game before they even have the manpower to work out the concepts. The most they can do is say they'd like to, which they have.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."