KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 23

I have dibs on the hot one

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Going back to discussions a couple of pages back about whether you should have all the "jedi-fiable" team members; some people say that there were too many in K2, others like being able to make various members jedi.

How about this for a viable compromise - almost any of your companions can become Jedi, but you can only take one apprentice on - thus you have a lot of range of options for companions to make jedi, but you don't end up with a whole team of them because of it. Basically once you take one of them on, the option to do so with the others is taken away.

What do people think?

My contentions with having everyone become Jedi was two fold.

1) Jedi overshadow all other character classes as KOTOR games have so far been designed. Your idea addresses one possibility for handling this. In a three character game with only two party members possibly being Jedi, you have a third which must be a non-Jedi. Would indirectly force exposure to non-Jedi classes.

2) Not everyone can become a Jedi. This was something I feel George Lucas hinted early on that I fully like. Whether or not people like the idea of midichlorians, it was always some component hereditary. Luke was never just some farmboy, he was the son of a Jedi.

So, I think your idea resolves a functional complaint I have, but not a conceptual complaint. Since I'm a function over concept guy, I like it! Sounds like a compromise to me.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Going back to discussions a couple of pages back about whether you should have all the "jedi-fiable" team members; some people say that there were too many in K2, others like being able to make various members jedi.

How about this for a viable compromise - almost any of your companions can become Jedi, but you can only take one apprentice on - thus you have a lot of range of options for companions to make jedi, but you don't end up with a whole team of them because of it. Basically once you take one of them on, the option to do so with the others is taken away.

What do people think?

My contentions with having everyone become Jedi was two fold.

1) Jedi overshadow all other character classes as KOTOR games have so far been designed. Your idea addresses one possibility for handling this. In a three character game with only two party members possibly being Jedi, you have a third which must be a non-Jedi. Would indirectly force exposure to non-Jedi classes.

2) Not everyone can become a Jedi. This was something I feel George Lucas hinted early on that I fully like. Whether or not people like the idea of midichlorians, it was always some component hereditary. Luke was never just some farmboy, he was the son of a Jedi.

So, I think your idea resolves a functional complaint I have, but not a conceptual complaint. Since I'm a function over concept guy, I like it! Sounds like a compromise to me.

Indeed - although of the idea behind the Jedi-fiable party members was that they're all "special" in their own way thus enabling the Jedi training - of course K2 did it really b-grade quality I think...But then this is, of course, the constant trouble with "coincidences" in games and movies that you have to bend reality somewhat to exact what you want into the story - thus the Exile "just happened" to find a bunch of people to join them who could become Jedi; just like Revan "just happened" to be the one to rescue Bastila, and "just happened" to have party members who all "just happened" to bump into people they knew which gave a side-quest...

I definitely see your point though...

To add on further to Tale's mention of encouraging "non-jedi" into the party...there should be more emphasis put on "non-Jedi" parts of the game. Having more requisite computer hacking (/repair/security/etc...) parts to the game that you can't simply bypass by smashing it would force to have more versatility in your party outside of simple lightsaber-slashing combat. Imagine an entire architecture that no jedi is allowed to enter, and you are forced to send in a squad comprised entirely of droids and/or non-jedi humanoids...

May all these "just happened" moments could be used to help this further - make puzzles that only one of your "non-jedi" members can solve, secrets that only they know or can find out, people who will only talk to them, people who hate jedi

like that guy on Dantooine, except you can't fool him by simply putting your lightsaber away...

, the possibilities are endless in which you could push for non-jedi to be in your party - rather than just not having it available...it will just require some manipulation of those "just happened" moments :thumbsup:

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

Having more requisite computer hacking (/repair/security/etc...) parts to the game that you can't simply bypass by smashing it would force to have more versatility in your party outside of simple lightsaber-slashing combat. Imagine an entire architecture that no jedi is allowed to enter, and you are forced to send in a squad comprised entirely of droids and/or non-jedi humanoids...

The only problem with that is that you could end up getting stuck for not picking the right skills if done to early on in the game. Later on you'd just add someone useful for that task to your party, then get rid of them after you've opened the door/console etc unless they stop you from changing party members when away from the hawk....which could also lead to you getting stuck if you didn't select the correct party member. *Thinks*

I guess you could have situations-say a locked door-where one of your party members tells you who you need to open the door, and you have to keep them in your party afterwards for some reason- 'Well, looks like you're going to need my help so I'll stick around for a while'.

Having more requisite computer hacking (/repair/security/etc...) parts to the game that you can't simply bypass by smashing it would force to have more versatility in your party outside of simple lightsaber-slashing combat. Imagine an entire architecture that no jedi is allowed to enter, and you are forced to send in a squad comprised entirely of droids and/or non-jedi humanoids...

The only problem with that is that you could end up getting stuck for not picking the right skills if done to early on in the game. Later on you'd just add someone useful for that task to your party, then get rid of them after you've opened the door/console etc unless they stop you from changing party members when away from the hawk....which could also lead to you getting stuck if you didn't select the correct party member. *Thinks*

I guess you could have situations-say a locked door-where one of your party members tells you who you need to open the door, and you have to keep them in your party afterwards for some reason- 'Well, looks like you're going to need my help so I'll stick around for a while'.

Exactly, a lot of reality bending will be needed to do any of this...sigh... :aiee:

Maybe having more of the situations like

Atton in the cantina, and the three party members in the tomb on Duxn

where you're force to have other people or specific people...

Edited by pantherus

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

Exactly, a lot of reality bending will be needed to do any of this...sigh... :p

Maybe having more of the situations like

Atton in the cantina, and the three party members in the tomb on Duxn

where you're force to have other people or specific people...

I didn't like the Atton cantina scene. I actually don't much like the idea of forcing players to juggle characters. It seems to much like a strategy game instead of an RPG like that.

I say just limit the number of Jedi. The player, of course, and a second (either the player's apprentice or master), plus one or even two party members. They should be able to swing a 3 person party because there are only 3 archetypes.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I agree on the limited jedi number but if that is the case then the jedi that you have must be really flexibel in their alligement.

Since they are more exposed to the dark side.

But i say let's have 3 or 4 jedi (including yourself)

(havent seen many posts last time, is everybody on vacation or something like that?) :brows:

Well, everyone may be tired of repeating themselves, but hopefully E3 will bring us new material to speak of? Maybe they announce the opening of the KotOR 3 website? Who knows what the next few days hold..... I'm truly holding on to that tiny bit of hope left for an announcement of any sort of life to the game....

Well, I was perusing the LucasArts forum for K3, and I found a very interesting post, which I thought everyone might be interested in. It's not as if K3 is confirmed, but with a post date in March, and interviews with serious people, it could possibly be a lead on our evasive game. Also, you may have seen it before, but here goes:

http://www.jedinet.com/?p=88

Edited by WKlingbeil

Well, I was perusing the LucasArts forum for K3, and I found a very interesting post, which I thought everyone might be interested in. It's not as if K3 is confirmed, but with a post date in March, and interviews with serious people, it could possibly be a lead on our evasive game. Also, you may have seen it before, but here goes:

http://www.jedinet.com/?p=88

ive read this b4 but never posted anything about it !!

I do not fear the darkside as you do - Anikin Skywalker / Lord Vader

Aint' LA *really mean*? Feargus has been doing negotiations since 2004 :sad:

Edited by Rosbjerg
Bashing

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

ya i cant wait !! even if kotor 3 isnt announced ... i cant wait to c tha kinda games comin this holiday season ! its sopposed to b the best year for buying games !!

I do not fear the darkside as you do - Anikin Skywalker / Lord Vader

My ideas and suggestions for KotOR3 is for it to come out.

Har har har har har

Ba Dum Psssh! :brows:

KEEP ****ING OBLIVION AWAY FROM MY KOTORS

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

KEEP ****ING OBLIVION AWAY FROM MY KOTORS

lol

i rly hope K3 decides to come out of the shadows.

Edited by Sionn

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.

I was on the G4 Website a few hours ago and found this:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6761..._Christmas.html

If this is true, it would make sense, if you have The Force Unleashed, Battlefront: Renegade Squadron and Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga coming out this year, it would make sense to release K3, the KotOR MMO and Battlefront 3 (Check Link) in 2008. I really hope this is true, while i would love a KotOR MMO, i would love a K3 to come out while I'm still young!

http://www.mygen.com.au/article.php?page_i...at=2&page=1

"Explanation: It's just that... you have all these squishy parts, master. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea..."

I hope the other crap that LA is coming out with doesn't sell well, so they know where they need to be vesting their time and money into. The Force Unleashed seemed okay, but as far as everything else, I did not see anything worth my time or money. I mean, I already own both Lego Star Wars, don't have a PSP and don't intend on getting one, so I think LA is taking it easy for this year, aside from TFU. If all that does come out next year, I think 2008 will be the year of reckoning for LA, where every developer could retire off the income from those games alone. I have to say though, I am not thrilled about the KotOR MMO, as I hate the monthly fees, and you have to continue to play, and play, and play, and there's really no end to the game, so if you have a life, you can't succeed with an MMO. I've never played WOW, and I probably never will. I think it would be cool to do an Empire At War: Mandalorian Wars. I think that would be the most bad ass EAW ever, and it would never be topped, or EAW: Hyperspace Wars, that would be awesome too. I think the future for SW is far brighter than the past ever could have been.