KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 23

I love it when people read post just above their own :devil:

Its becoming rare though.

But yes, more diversity would be something good.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, I think there should be plenty of side missions and hidden secrets like in the gta series, stuff that is just a bonus.

As for the droids, I think it would be interesting to have custom options to build one, like choosing one of several different chassis and other appendages.

The storyline could be between the old republic and the new one, before yoda comes around. Or, pehaps a background build up of the Republic. These are just my ideas anyhow.

And, it needs more than just 6 or 7 planets, we have the technology to do it on one disc.

It would be nice to have different overall goals on the planets, instead of the same goal for every planet, like in K2 and K1. [1]Maybe you could solve a political crisis on one world, [2]fight in a war on another to get an important ally, [3]find a crucial item on another, ect. ect. [4]It just gets kind of old doing the same overall thing on all the planets.

-*small spoilers*-

[1] you did solve a political crisis on Onderon.

[2] you did fight a small war on Dantooine, and whoever you helped was allied with you in the fight against Nihilus.

[3] you found several important/crucial items throughtout the game.

[4] Well we just proved that KOTOR2 fufills all your needs. ;)

---

seriously though - I know what you mean. When you are replaying either K1 or K2 you get tired, and fast, of looking for Star Maps and hidden Jedi Masters.

One thing I noticed about K2 quests vs K1 is that K2's quests are very shallow. Not including Narr Shadda and Duxon, the rest of the worlds have wimpy side quests. You sort of get the idea they ran out of development time. Oh wait! They did.

All games right now have such a straight and narrow way that the game must be played that the subject of a "rich immersive universe" with different ways you can play it is about 70% of what most gamers ask for in the next edition of almost any game.

Edited by Watchman

A few changes I would like to see in K3:

One change is in the force powers that last over time. Make them so that they last until you cancel them or you run out of force points. That way you can force push someone against a wall and hold him there until you finish off his friends. Or a Force Valor and Speed that don't need to be reactivated in the middle of a fight (how often do Jedi in the movies stop to buff themselves?).

A Dynamic combat system. Where two people fight each other AND IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE FIGHTING EACH OTHER not just playing the same combat animations even when they are clearly incorrect moves.

Larger areas, including a number of landing pads, town areas and what not so that you can have the traffic (people, ships and cars) of a real civilization. It only needs to look busy. And no more fights over a landing pad because it is the only one in the universe!

And a active force sense that includes, the ability to read minds (as a dialog option), see through walls (as when a event triggers a hard fight, a boss or simply as a guide that makes it so that you can get something done were others could not) and last, possibly as a warning system when something drastic is about to happen (like a bounty hunter puts a bomb on your speeder).

Edited by Watchman

possibly as a warning system when something drastic is about to happen (like a bounty hunter puts a bomb on your speeder).

That would be Awareness. And it could be more used.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

If a KOTOR 3 is made, I hope they don't make your entire group turn into Jedi again like KOTOR 2. I wouldn't even want the option open to them. And unlike KOTOR 1, I'd kind of like it if there weren't even enough Jedi to fill up the extra slots in the party. 3 member cap, only one companion Jedi.

Because seriously, who uses anything but Jedi in their party? Anyone? Bueller?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

possibly as a warning system when something drastic is about to happen (like a bounty hunter puts a bomb on your speeder).

That would be Awareness. And it could be more used.

As long as you get that I am talking about a new perception. And not one that shows you the area you are about to talk into or requires a black bar to slide in from the top and bottom (Like the conversation screen). I mean that it shows you that 10 troops are about to walk in on you before they do so you can get out of there.

If a KOTOR 3 is made, I hope they don't make your entire group turn into Jedi again like KOTOR 2. I wouldn't even want the option open to them. And unlike KOTOR 1, I'd kind of like it if there weren't even enough Jedi to fill up the extra slots in the party. 3 member cap, only one companion Jedi.

I agree, it did have too many jedi members, and maybe too many party members in general.

I agree, it did have too many jedi members, and maybe too many party members in general.

Too many party members in the fact that you cant use them ALL at the same time, You should be able to get a security system in your ship and have as many party members with you as you want (the game becomes easier and harder respectively)

Ideas in this vein;

Why not randomise which party members can be turned into Jedi each time you play? Or Randomise those Characters that would not be required for the main plot anyway (Eg-If this had been in place in K2 Kreia and Visas would always be Jedi, as it would be required for the main plot. But none of the other characters would automatically be Jedifiable). While its true that they would have to come up with two different back-stories for each party member that might be able to become a Jedi I can't see this being a major problem.

I think the problem in K2 wasn't so much that there were too many Jedi, as in they were the only party members worth taking....which comes back to the problems with not really needing the skills of most party members on most worlds (or rather there being no real reason or need to change your party once you find a team you like, apart from a few situations where you had no choice). There is a similar problem with the combat system being to heavily biased towards fighting with lightsabres-and hence Jedi characters being more useful and more likely to be chosen. Non-Jedi party members should be able to hold their own in a fight, maybe giving them combat skills or Feats Jedi don't have, Improving ranged combat or maybe having places where Jedi powers are less effective. There should also be incentive to use all of your Party members at some point-and by that I don't mean just the types of missions in K2 where you had no choice who you could pick. If someone is looking for the main character then maybe running around with the same party on every planet would allow them to track you down, or just mean that all the NPC's react to you differently for good or ill. Extra quests on some planets that are only triggered by having a particular character in your party would be a nice way to force you to experiment with party selection-A bit like K1 in fact.

Another way to force you to change the party around would be for the other members of your party to affect how NPC's react to you depending on what you are attempting to do. It would, for example, be easier to scare the living excrement out of someone if you have a Mandoloran warrior looking over one shoulder and an Assasin droid glaring over the other shoulder. But attempting to sweet talk someone into believing you mean them no harm with the same party might not work quite so well.....

i actually liked the option to train party members to be jedi !!

I do not fear the darkside as you do - Anikin Skywalker / Lord Vader

I do, with the precise shot feats and duel weilding blasters party members who use guns become quite effective (not to mention the close combat feat)

I don't mind not having to change your members around. In fact, I quite like it. Especially if the party is diverse. Which is the root cause of my suggestion. A diverse group of nothing but Jedi is not quite as diverse as a diverse group that's mixing Jedi with non-Jedi.

Giving significant benefits to non-Jedi over Jedi is something I don't see anyone doing it with the license, though. But maybe it could happen.

I think that it is a great idea to let people react different when you have different party members with you.

I mean then your party members would have another function except from walking in the way.

And if it cahnges the story it is even better.

Like if you go into a bar with like ou said a mandalorian and an assanisdroid you get all the anwers you want without a fight.

But if you that (let's do something strange) a ewok and a twillek with you then you don't get the anwers and you'll have to persude them or just fight them.

I don't know if it's possible but it looks great to me.

I do, with the precise shot feats and duel weilding blasters party members who use guns become quite effective (not to mention the close combat feat)

The whole point of having the trainable Jedi was that they were actually the "True" Jedi, as Kreia spoke of at the end of the game, and I actually liked that idea. Who cares who else uses all Jedi in their parties? It is of no consequence to anyone but the user, so if you don't want to use jedi, that is your choice. If I want to use Jedi, that is mine. I mean, what's so special about some peasant fighter in Star Wars? Think outside the box, the idea of a Jedi is completely awesome, but what's so special about some loser mercenary? I could play almost any game and be a mercenary, some fighter, or any other standard fighter, but there's no other game where I can be a Jedi. Nonetheless, if somebody wants to play a Star Wars game without that extra depth of a jedi should be more than happy to do that, but quit caring about what other people do.

Well I agree with the fact that you can train your companions to become jedi because, seriously you cant have any more fun than training Bao-Dur to be a Darth Maul(Ep.1).

But what I think would be a good idea for K3 is instead of continuing the story because lets face it, it will be hard to satisfy the ppl that want to be Reven again and the ppl that want to be the exile at the same time. So why not take the setting back to the mandolorian wars, something where we could play in the war because we all (that have played K1 & K2) know a lot about it but have never played it. IMO its a good idea.

Edited by muscrat

You are so ugly when you got hit by the ugly stick you made it ugly

And leave current unfisihed storyline behind? Uh, hell no!

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

But what I think would be a good idea for K3 is instead of continuing the story because lets face it, it will be hard to satisfy the ppl that want to be Reven again and the ppl that want to be the exile at the same time. So why not take the setting back to the mandolorian wars, something where we could play in the war because we all (that have played K1 & K2) know a lot about it but have never played it. IMO its a good idea.

Are you serious? :ermm: Really?

I'm sorry, but no. Two games have built up to this giant enemy and plot and it's all going to come down to it in K3. To suddenly stop the story in the middle is more than stupid it's...idiotic. We want to have this game finished, find out what happened to Revan and the Exile, know about these Unknown Sith, and then finish the game and the story. To just jump to another story line is like reading a book halfway into it and then forgetting that and starting another book. It makes no sense.

Lets' have a K3 that continues from where K2 left off. It makes more sense, IMO, to me. Anyone else think that? Or am I alone in the "let's finish the story" idea?

To just jump to another story line is like reading a book halfway into it and then forgetting that and starting another book. It makes no sense.

Am I the only one that does this? It's not my fault I'm ADHD.

I was halfway into three books recently. Children of Dune, The Wastelands, and one of the Wheel of Time novels, forget which.

Edited by Tale

Not at all, I think everything-from the tradition of how Starwars 'works' in having stories in three parts, to the desires of the fans (mainly) and even the desires of the writers would lead me to say that K3 should and will finish the story. If it didn't......then LA's entire game-department should instantly resign and promise to never make desisions more complex than if they should have cream in their coffee ever again. (Some might say that they should do that anyway after K2).

I don't think they could get away with a KOTOR game set during the Mandolorian wars at least until Revans story is finished once and for all.

To just jump to another story line is like reading a book halfway into it and then forgetting that and starting another book. It makes no sense.

Am I the only one that does this? It's not my fault I'm ADHD.

No, I believe muscrat might do it, too. He apparently believes we should just scratch everything we've worked on.

No your not alone. I think the story has to be finished.

I mean I'm getting sick of all this talk about a different time and different people.

Revan, the Exile and some of their partymembers must return of course.

Because if not everybody thinks: "Revan was just unimportant because they didn't finish his story'and the same goes for the Exile. I really want to know what will happen to them. IMO

(But you could have something like a flashback to the mandolorian wars, IMO)

I do have to disagree with your statements that it would be scratching everything we've worked on and comparing it to half a book, but I agree that I'd like it to continue with the story we were told about in Kotor 2. I think KOTOR 1 and 2 serve very well as standalone stories. Especially KOTOR 1. KOTOR 2's hints about Revan don't alter any of it, nor does the idea of the Exile going to join Revan at the end of 2.

Now, if the true Sith were behind the events of KOTOR 1 and 2 and we were to at least be aware of that as we went through 1 and 2, my opinion would be different. It felt more like a distinct lead-in to 3 than a genuine continuating of what was going on.

However, like I said, I am very curious to see what could be done with that story.

The whole point of having the trainable Jedi was that they were actually the "True" Jedi, as Kreia spoke of at the end of the game, and I actually liked that idea. Who cares who else uses all Jedi in their parties? It is of no consequence to anyone but the user, so if you don't want to use jedi, that is your choice. If I want to use Jedi, that is mine. I mean, what's so special about some peasant fighter in Star Wars? Think outside the box, the idea of a Jedi is completely awesome, but what's so special about some loser mercenary? I could play almost any game and be a mercenary, some fighter, or any other standard fighter, but there's no other game where I can be a Jedi. Nonetheless, if somebody wants to play a Star Wars game without that extra depth of a jedi should be more than happy to do that, but quit caring about what other people do.

You asked a question, implying that anyone who deos what you asked is stupid, I answered and you go on about ME caring what other people do? Your the one being insulting and trying to say your way is better, all i did was answer a question.

Are you serious? :ermm: Really?

I'm sorry, but no. Two games have built up to this giant enemy and plot and it's all going to come down to it in K3. To suddenly stop the story in the middle is more than stupid it's...idiotic. We want to have this game finished, find out what happened to Revan and the Exile, know about these Unknown Sith, and then finish the game and the story. To just jump to another story line is like reading a book halfway into it and then forgetting that and starting another book. It makes no sense.

Actually it would be like reading the middle of a book and then reading the beginning before the end, seeing as the mandalorian wars were first and caused everything that was happening.....

Having so many Jedi took away depth from the game. My asking if anyone used anything but Jedi was to illustrate a point that Jedi characters make the other characters near useless and being able to convert characters to Jedi makes the non-Jedi classes near useless. Making characters and classes useless is by no definition "deep." Depth comes from having everybody useful for different reasons. Having a good number of characters useless or useful for the same reason as the other useful characters is shallow.