Diploma Denied for Cheering

ghosta

I found this video on CNN today Diploma Denied for Cherring

It probably will be on the site for a few days.

I feel bad for the girl. :sad: I suspect the supper attendant is a racist :sorcerer: ,but that could be because I'm black.:shrugz:

edited for better link.

Edited by ghosta

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

Man, what a load of sh**.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Uh...if you aren't smart enough not to cheat, or not to get caught, you don't deserve the degree. Cheating in real life leads to getting fired, losing your shirt in a divorce, getting prosecuted by the IRS, etc.

Where the hell did they accuse her of cheating? She was denied her diploma because her family cheered when her name was called.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Don't go beat your self up now. I've said some stupid stuff too, but I'm too lazy to did up an example.

Where the hell did they accuse her of cheating? She was denied her diploma because her family cheered when her name was called.

It probably was her family, but the report said no one knowns exactly who did the cheering in the crowd of 2000 people.

Edited by ghosta

that sounds like it could of happened at my high school... of course that would require the students around here to actually you know... have a sense of school spirit and pride.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"The students in the central Illinois town about 150 miles southwest of Chicago will still graduate and receive their transcripts,"

Doesn't that mean that they will still be given everything, except for a piece of paper they can hang up on the wall?

In that case, I wouldn't give a crap. To argue with them over the diploma is like saying that I value that piece of paper, I value that extra bit of recognition that the school authorises my academic achievement. I don't need to hang on to that, especially if they'll graduate me anyway. While we in general do give that school authority by working to receive their qualification, that's the bare minimum - screw that if they won't give you your diploma, or they don't really like your hair, or whatever. The kind of stupidity they display in refusing the diploma is a truer indication of their ability in administration.

That said, in their shoes I wouldn't even have bothered turning up to the ceremonies, let alone cheer, so ah well. I feel sorry for the annoying bother the idiots have made for them.

edit: oh, its a high school, not even a university? Hahahahahaha.

Edited by Tigranes

"The students in the central Illinois town about 150 miles southwest of Chicago will still graduate and receive their transcripts,"

If I cared and attended the school, I'd set up something the next year to cheer for a bunch of random people, children of the teachers if there are any, and get the administration to change that way. Alas, I don't care. They get their transcript minus a keepsake and move on with their lives.

Eh, they had to do something. Everyone cheering and clapping after every single name drowns out the people reading the names aloud, thereby ruining other peoples experience. Think of it like this, lets say the graduating class is 500 kids and there is 15 seconds of applause for each child. That makes 125 minutes (2h5m) of *just* applause!

Edited by Gfted1

It seems a bit of an overkill, but media tends to withhold some information and/or putting a subtle change in tone to create such sensationalist headlines and get more hits. While I think it is insanely retarded, there must a reason the school administration have put such restrictions in place.

I don't care about their restirctions, or why they have them. Not giving someone their diloma - which they had preumsably earned fairly - is pateheic, childish, and moronic.

School Administrators: "WAAA! Some peopel clapped so I'm gonna take these diplomas, and go home."

l0l

P.S. I know it's ultimately just paper since they still graduated; but still it's lame. For one, since when is clapping immoral? Secondly, 'punishing' the graduates in question for others' actions is retarded. At worst, they should have taken awya the clappers' diplomas. L0L

P.S.S. I never intended my graudation ceremony personally, and still find the administrators' 2 year old actions lame.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Whats wrong with cheering? Why should they apologize?!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

well, for one, it wasn't just cheering, nor just clapping. it was hooting and creating enough of a ruckus that they had to stop because nobody could hear the subsequent announcements. it was fairly bad at my high school graduation (1986), not really that bad at my college graduation (1990, but i didn't walk the second time, however). the farther down the line we got, the worse it got as well (my names starts with a T, so it was pretty loud by the time i walked).

they did send out warnings based on complaints from previous years, btw, so the consequences were known a-priori.

the problem is a catch-22 of sorts. it is unfair to punish the students for others' behavior, most definitely. it is also unfair that the students following such a disruption could not have their names heard by their respective families. ultimately, blame lies with the childish outbursts from the so-called "adults" in the audience who were unable or unwilling to abide by the rules, but how do you punish them?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

You don't. You suck it up like the mature adults the administrators presumably are and you don't lash out by refusing to give diplomas to those who earned them.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Every person in authority must pick his battles. Now, assuming it's causing a real issue, then that's the battle to pick, but the solution is likely going to be worse than the problem.

With all that aside, it's assinine to scream so loudly it causes the whole ceremony to stop. So, I think the people screaming for extended periods of time, and I've attended such ceremonies, is stupid, but I don't think it will do any good to withold the diploma. If that's the extent of their leverage, then they really don't have any.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Let me get this straight.

Someone, in the audience, cheers during the graduation of these 5 students, and the students will not recieve thier diploma unless the person in the audience (or is it the actual graduating students themselves?) apologize...

There has got to be more to the story, otherwise this really is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Anyone else ever read 'The Whipping Boy'? :) They don't even know WHO cheered, family, friend, or it is even possible parents and students were briefed on the no cheering rule and some vindictive person cheered on purpose to stir trouble. Thats the problem with these tories though, they just don't give the full story.

Also, it is very strange to call racism when we have no idea who the other four students were. Unless I missed a description the other four students could be a white boy, a hispanic girl, an oriental boy and an alien girl from venus. :)

Let me get this straight.

Also, it is very strange to call racism when we have no idea who the other four students were. Unless I missed a description the other four students could be a white boy, a hispanic girl, an oriental boy and an alien girl from venus. :thumbsup:

The article says that the five students were female, so it could possible be gender discrimination but my own personal feelings caused me to jump to racism immediately.