What does DC stand for?

I still don't understand this system, although I've played BG, ID, Temple of Elem Evil, Kotor and Kotor 2. So first, what exactly does DC stand for? As far as I understand, a roll with a 20-sided dice is made by the pc and then various modifiers are added. But what does it mean if a weapon has a DC18 chance to stun an opponent? Does this mean that a roll is made with an 18-sided dice, so you could end with a 1 in the end, or do you always then get 18+modifiers?

Also, there is equipment in the game that will give you some protection from various damage. Ok, so if the description says "25% immunity against fire", I can understand that. But some items reduce damage by "5/-" for example. What the hell does this mean? What's a 5 followed by a slash and a minus sign? How does a player supposed to know this????!!!! The manual says absolutely nothing on this matter. Does it mean minus 5 points damage or what?

Other items give for example +3 protection against slashing. Ok, and what exactly does +3 mean?

Problem is I never succeed against any opponents. This is unbelievable. I invested absolutely everything in Wisdom and Charisma, I've got 22 points Wisdom and 16 Charisma. But when I use Statis or Whirlwind on any opponent, they always save themselves! How can this be? I can't be always getting a 1 in a roll, can I? very strange

DC is Difficulty Class

so for say something that is DC10, they have to roll higher than 10 (modifiers included) to resist it

what class are you?

consulars get force focus, which makes it harder for them to resist your powers

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

• DC - Difficulty Class. Basically a number you have to reach to do something.
    A lock might have a DC of 15; your PC's security skill has to be able to reach a 15.
    All skill rolls get a random amount from +1-20, added to your skill level, to beat a DC. (This represents the icosagon (twenty-sided) die roll, that d20 takes its name from.)
    Also used for some saving throws.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

what class are you?

I am a Jedi Consular 15 and Jedi Master 1. Wisdom 29, Charisma 18, so that's pretty much now. But it seems the dice is not used for spells. For example, if I use the stasis field, it seems to be simply DC5+16 (my level)+9(Wisdom)+4(Charisma) vs. the enemy's fortitude. Or do the enemies get some additional dice points when trying to evade my spell?

what class are you?

I am a Jedi Consular 15 and Jedi Master 1. Wisdom 29, Charisma 18, so that's pretty much now. But it seems the dice is not used for spells. For example, if I use the stasis field, it seems to be simply DC5+16 (my level)+9(Wisdom)+4(Charisma) vs. the enemy's fortitude. Or do the enemies get some additional dice points when trying to evade my spell?

The DC is the target that the opponent has to roll to beat.

For example - your Statis Field has a DC of (5 + 16 + 9 + 4) = 34

They have to get a Fortitude Save of (Dice Roll + their fort bonus) >= 34 to avoid the effects of your spell.

So say their Fort bonus is 20, they therefore have to roll (34 - 20) a 14 or higher (on a 20-sided die) to avoid the effects.

So in summary - the DC is the target and is usually not rolled but given a default value, the die roll is then made to match or better the total DC.

That that explain it?

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

From what I understand DC has 2 meanings:

1. Difficulty Class: used when referring to skills, e.g., You wish to pick a lock with a DC of 14. You have 5 on your security skill, and roll a 7 (from a random 1-20 number system the game uses) giving you 5 + 7 = 12 vs DC 14, you fail to open the lock. You try it again and this time roll a 17, 17 + 5 = 22 vs DC 14, you open the lock.

2. Dodge Class: Same as the one above but applied to combat. e.g. you are fighting an enemy with a DC of 17. You roll a(again from the 20 sided die) 12 + 4(whatever bonus you have to hit, in this case +4 to hit) =16 vs DC 17, you miss and do no damage. Called Dodge Class because you need to get a number higher than his DC amount or he dodges your attack.

Edited by Watchman

2. Dodge Class: Same as the one above but applied to combat. e.g. you are fighting an enemy with a DC of 17. You roll a(again from the 20 sided die) 12 + 4(whatever bonus you have to hit, in this case +4 to hit) =16 vs DC 17, you miss and do no damage. Called Dodge Class because you need to get a number higher than his DC amount or he dodges your attack.

I believe you're referring to AC here - Armour Class.

i understand DC but I also am lost when it comes to +3resistance

I'm pretty sure this resistance acts like a damage reduction - i.e. if you're hit with something you're resistant to (i.e. fire resist +3) then you ignore the first 3 points of fire damage done to you.

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

I know about AC. It was sometime ago that I went through all the documents and I saw that thing on DC as a dodge factor. You will notice the term AC is never used in KOTOR. But it was awhile ago and as I can't remember what all happened, I could be wrong.

Alright, the DC (difficulty class) seems to have been adequetely explained above, but as a summary, people roll a 20 sided die, then add that number to the save the DC applies to (be it fortitude, reflex, or will). This is why I never use items with a fixed DC (one unchanged by my stats) as the enemies usually resist it no problem later on.

As for damage resistance, the "5/-" means that the first 5 points of that specific damage is ignored. So if you have 5/- vs energy weapons, and a lightsaber would normally do 30 damage to you, it now does 25. I believe this is the same when it says +3 vs. energy, though I am more familiar with the slash minus format.