Best Game Graphics

....and Unreal Tournament came out a year after Unreal 1. My point was in the context of what was out on the market at that time (May 1998).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Man, I wish I could still find Myth 3, I never played it, but heard nothing but praise. There even was an extra official campaign for it, iirc. Unless I'm confusing it with TA:Iron Kingdoms' Chimera.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Except Myth didn't have good graphics, it has good gore and interesting physics tho, and is a good game, but it sure wasn't pretty.

I disagree tremendously. When it was first released, it was way ahead of any other games I remember playing at the time. The cut scenes were also very solid.

Unreal 1 had the best graphics of its time (1998). When playing with a Voodoo 2 3D-card, nothing came close to it, no Quake 2 and certainly no Half-Life.

Quake II had the best graphics of any game when it came out. Unreal was a multiplayer game, wasn't it? I never played it. (Except as the engine for Deus Ex and a few others.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Unreal was a singleplayer game, though the multiplayer was very good as well. It even had an expansion, Return to Na'Pali, iirc.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Unreal 1 had the best graphics of its time (1998). When playing with a Voodoo 2 3D-card, nothing came close to it, no Quake 2 and certainly no Half-Life.

Quake II had the best graphics of any game when it came out. Unreal was a multiplayer game, wasn't it? I never played it. (Except as the engine for Deus Ex and a few others.)

Unreal 1 was a singleplayer game, Unreal Tournament was a multiplayer game that came out the year after, but it had a singleplayer campaign as well.

Anyway, Quake II:

quake25.jpg

Unreal 1

unreal1.jpg

Big difference back in 1998.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No way.

kirottu said:

Quake was a revelation when it arrived. Quake 2 was a brown mess that was easily surpassed by Unreal, which was the hottest thing at the time. Graphically.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Mario 64 was pretty much awesome graphic wise.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Quake was a revelation when it arrived. Quake 2 was a brown mess that was easily surpassed by Unreal, which was the hottest thing at the time. Graphically.

Graphically? Agreed. Surpassed in any other way? Nah, never.

kirottu said:

Graphically? Agreed. Surpassed in any other way? Nah, never.

Unreal definitely surpasses Quake 2 in graphics, artistic direction, music, AI and single-player mode. The only aspect Quake 2 owns Unreal is multi-player, IMO.

Wait a minute; unless I'm mistaken, Quake II implemented nifty stuff

So did Unreal. But it was released later than Quake 2 though.

They were released five months apart.

Edit: Scratch that. Eight months apart.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Seriously, Mass Effect is just THE most beautiful game I've seen yet.

What? The game isn't out yet. It's pretty hard to judge a game before it's in our hands.

This actually made me laugh out loud. haha

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Unreal was a great single player game. Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two different series.

centinexx.png

Man, I wish I could still find Myth 3, I never played it, but heard nothing but praise. There even was an extra official campaign for it, iirc. Unless I'm confusing it with TA:Iron Kingdoms' Chimera.

Yeah.... Myth three, while a difficult game, was a mess storyline wise and it wasn't all that fantastic. Stick with myth two.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah.... Myth three, while a difficult game, was a mess storyline wise and it wasn't all that fantastic. Stick with myth two.

There was an expansion released for Myth II called Chimera, with 8 new levels. I remember downloading it off Bungie's mainpage (took all night on dialup), but I could never get it to work properly. Never got to play Myth III, which was called The Wolf Age, and took place 1000 years before the first two games.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Ok, thanks.

Man, so do memories fail.

kirottu said:

Heh, no problem. I had to google it to be sure, myself.

You can still buy Myth: The Total Codex on Amazon, which contains Myth, Myth II, and the official strategy guides for both games, but no Myth III. From what I read it was after Myth II that Bungie got sold to Microsoft, and the rights reverted to another developer.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Shadow of the colossus. Its just one of those games where half the fun about it is the graphics. The scenery is breathtaking, the colossus are amazingly detailed...

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"