Best Game Soundtracks

roshan

NWN2's new musics are good.

I never liked any of original NWN's music.

Well, apart from HotU tracks and maybe main theme. Everything else was meh

I'd have to agree... but only to a degree (wee! I can rhyme!)

Some of the music in the original NWN was good (I thought the generic castle theme was nice). The bad tracks? They didn't bother me so much, they just didn't add anything to the atmosphere of the areas, which is exactly what music is supposed to do in any medium (well... aside from music because there it's the main feature - I hope).

As for my favourites? In no particular order:

Planescape: Torment (though, it does sometimes annoy me that the Nameless One's theme is the basis of all other pieces in this game)

Rome Total War

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (the restored Jedi Enclave theme is one of my favourites)

Neverwinter Nights 2 (they didn't add too much but I like the Githyanki theme, not to mention Crossroad Keep's theme)

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (woo!)

I can't remember much else - it's been so long since I played games like Baldur's Gate I(I).

StarWarsKnights.com -- Do not invent details which are not in the play

Oh, I forgot to answer

Planescape Torment

Jade Empire

There's lots of good music in games, but no other game creates so much emotions with their music.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Jade Empire is definetly a good effort.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

By the way, do you guys know what's name of the music in the beginning cinematic of Metal Gear Solid? Beautiful singing. Some modder used it in his NWN1 mod in "heaven" area, heh

edit: Found it

This brings many, many memories... To be honest, none other game brings up as many memories as MGS...

edit2: Meh, that ain't pure music, that's whole opening which has other music in it too =/

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Now I really found it, it's called "The Best is Yet To Come" and you can hear it from

:yes:

Edited by Xard

IWD especially, BG1, BG2, FO1, FO2, Bloodlines and Diablo.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I've got mp3s of the BG/BG2, Diablo/Diablo 2, Fallout 2, Half-Life 2 and Starcraft soundtracks. If anybody wants something specific I can put it up on the Obs fileserver.

So yeah:

Blizzard games

IWD

BG

BG2

Fallouts

Half-Lifes

Deus Ex

Hunter Hunted (old sidescroller with a neat industrial OST)

V:TMB

STALKER

Edited by Pop

Both Gothic's has great soundtracks (but I don't know whether I think this because I love the games or if they're really that good).

As many of you have mentioned already, Deus Ex has a really memorable soundtrack.

GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas has awesome soundtracks too, but I don't know if they count since they're just radio stations playing famous songs.

The best soundtrack I think I've ever heard in a game must be from the game Bully (Canis Canem Edit). It's a custom written soundtrack, composed and played (all instruments!) by one guy. But he does an awesome job and hits all the key moments with such precision I've never heard in a game before.

Oh, and an honorary mention has to go to Boiling Point and STALKER too. Both had some really original and atmospheric tunes.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Jeremy Soule didn't compose NWN2's new tracks. Still, IWD, NWN and Hotu are his best works so far.

nwn definitely not ;) if you can get your hands on some of the total annihilation-battlemusic-tracks, give them a try.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

"I was wondering, has Jeremy Soule produced anything decent since Icewind Dale?"

You don't think the NWN/NWN2 music is at *least* decent?

My standards for "decent" are quite different in the game and out of it.

But yes, NWNs score was at least decent, since I dont remember ever wanting to turn it off. But it must have also been quite forgettable, since I cant remember a single track from the game or its expansions. Thats why I am asking about it. I plan to download the tracks or reinstall the games and rip them if Obsidianites give the soundtrack good reviews.

Gabriel Knight

Command n Conquer

Septerra Core

Bloodlines

Imperium Galactica + Haegemonia

Baldur's Gate

Shadow of Memories

Beyond Good and Evil

new addons on my list are Spellforce and Keepsake i just recently finished :p

EDIT: some old sounds from SC

http://www.yagolnikov.com/toc/Files/scmusic.mp3

awww...how i miss that gameworld ;)

i hope they soon revive it now that even Fallout gets resurrected

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think the music for one of the areas I've been testing is really awesome. Otherwise, it all sounds like the usual RPG fare. I'm not usually excited about this sort of stuff. Hell, I remember buying the CE of Diablo 2, putting in the soundtrack, and thinking, "Good Lord, chains rattling and moaning? This sounds like dinner at my in-laws."

Now, there was an area of Might and Magic 6 that remains my favorite music for any area in a video game. I can't remember the name of the town there. Freehaven? I think?

PS:T had some great music in terms of setting the atmosphere. The bar was great. The clips that played whenever the PC interacted with Deionarra.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Icewind Dale series had the best music of the IE games IMHO, with Planescape Torment coming in a very close second. Planescape had the best ending music, perfectly fit the bittersweet ending areas.

Even though I never played the actual game, besides the demo, Jeremy Soule's Total Annihilation soundtrack is awesome. I like most of Soule's tracks, though I think it is ironic that I consider his Oblivion soundtrack his worst yet it recieved so many awards.

MDK 2 had some rockin' tracks.

Mechwarrior 2 had atleast one awesome track.

The Unreal series usually has some good action music.

SiN Emergance had a great openning theme song and, IMHO an even better credits track.

Undying had an amazing and creepy main menu track.

The Thief series has some of the moodiest music I've heard. While I don't know if I would enjoy just listening to it on my desktop, it has really improved the mood of Oblivion by adding Thief songs as dungeon tracks.

Jesper Kyd's tracks for the Hitman series, usually the main menu titles. The games usually have one or two very memorable tracks like Slaughter Club from Contracts or the Streets of Hong Kong theme.

The Michael Giacchino Medal of Honor tracks are usually extremly well done. They are almost too good for the games as they have somewhat tragic undertones, yet the games usually are all about action.

The music for the Battletoads arcade game was memorable. :thumbsup:

The old Sega Streets of Rage series had some great music for the time.

The Crusader (No Regrets, No Remorse) games had some great music.

The Donkey Kong series had some great tracks, especially if you can find some fan made remixes. I'm especially fond of the music that played during the underwater sections.

Some of the old Need for Speed music made for the game was great.

The original Descent had some fricken' awesome music. Especially the debriefing music between missions.

The original Descent had some fricken' awesome music. Especially the debriefing music between missions.

That was Ogre from Skinny Puppy and Pete Steele from Type O Negative, if I'm not mistaken. Their Descent soundtrack is to Trent Reznor's Quake soundtrack what System Shock was to Doom.

"I was wondering, has Jeremy Soule produced anything decent since Icewind Dale?"

You don't think the NWN/NWN2 music is at *least* decent?

I loved the Cania theme music Soule did for HotU. It captured that desolate feeling perfectly. I'm suprised so many mod makers never made use of it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Unreal 1.

Oh and if anyone didn't notice Alexander Brandon is now Audio Director at Obsidian Entertainment (thanks, funcroc!).

Woah, that's a suprise. He did the Unreal, UT and Deus Ex score which is certainly one of the most memorable. Seems like Obsidian has developed a habit to snatch away the best people in the industry and embed them straight into Fergs bosom...err company. :thumbsup:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy