Best Game Soundtracks

roshan

What are your favourite game soundtracks?

Ive just been listening to the Warcraft 2 soundtrack again, and its really great. Unlike the crappy epic music of Warcraft 3, Warcraft 2's music has a very militaristic sound to it.

Another one Ive been listening to recently is Castlevania Symphony of the Night - its really wondersul the way theyve combined vampiric sounding classical music with rock influences such as drums.

The Fallouts and Planescape Torment are my favorites.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Older games...

Forbidden Forest for the C64 (followed by a long list of C64 games)

Defender of the Crown on the Commodore Amiga (followed by a long list of Amiga games)

Recent games...

Bloodlines, no contest

Fallout/PST

IWD

Honorable mention: Kotor2 had a pretty decent sound track.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Stronghold series is still one of my favorites.

Most of the rest, I may love a few of the tracks - Nox and Majesty had a couple of the most delightful themes, I thought -

but overall not so much. That sort of thing. I also tend to turn music off in games, particularly action/RPG's - it always feels a bit odd to march around in fields and dales with music playing mysteriously 'from above.' :D

Plus sometimes music gets in the way of the other game noises I'd rather hear, like the crunch of bunny footsteps in the snow.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ohh, there were so many i liked. But Dreamfall, Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy) and K2 had the most amazing soundtrack IMO. Those games just wouldn't be as good as they were without it. Bloodlines had a great soudtrack aswell, but there was just not enough of it (some tracks were starting to get on my nerves when i heared them the 100th time.). I should also mention Oblivion, SC: Double Agent and Chaos Theory.

Edited by SpaceAlex

The Longest Journey had a memorable score, so did Dreamfall, but the most prominent one in my mind is the soundtrack of Rune. I don't give a crap about epicness and bombast, but that soundtrack could make your blood pound(Siege on Thorstadt, Ragnar's Theme, Melancholy Victory) and also had some creepily awesome ambient tracks(Entering Hel, Skuld). Even when my brain eventually rots away, I'll always hear the distinct thoooom of the chant over a medieval gibfest.

Another one that has given shivers is the sountrack for WH40K: Chaos Gate, especially the Ultramarines' Chant, which is probably the most familiar one to you. It's even in youtube.

To step out of war for a time, almost everything Eric Brosius touches, turns to gold and when he makes something himself, it is pure freaking platinum. Thief 3 OST is out there, released by a dev, for free. Give the thing a listen. Eric is a golden-eared genius.

Deus Ex, nuff said.

I also have an old, now rekindled with Blood Money, love with the aural ambrosia made by the Danish maestro Jesper Kyd. Hitman 2 and Freedom Fighters were both blasts aurally, but his work really shines with the unconventional approaches he took in Blood Money. Pure bliss right there.

Honorable mention goes to Kai Rosenkratz, I hope he keeps it up.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I would probably have to say Kotor2 or Dreamfall.. A really beautiful score in both games - but they main reason I mention those is that I don't remember the music from other games.

Fortune favors the bald.

The Curse of Monkey Island.

Grim Fandango.

Doom (even though it's just midi-ized metal songs)

Battlefield 1942 (the main theme)

Rome: Total War

Command and Conquer: Red Alert (Hell March, baby)

I usually end up playing something in the background on most games anyway.

- Unreal 1

- Deus Ex

- Final Fantasy VII

- Final Fantasy VIII

- Final Fantasy X

- Planescape: Torment

- The secret of Monkey Island 2

- Vampire: Bloodlines

- Halo 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Quest for Glory IV's soundtrack is definitely one of the best - I think my favourites are the Leshy's music and the combat-with-the-Necrotaur music. QfGV was also really memorable, especially the Dryad dancing scene. I loved Arcanum's soundtrack - I thought it was so unusual and in keeping with the setting. I'd mention Gabriel Knight, Planescape: Torment and Monkey Island as other excellent ones. And of course, Civilization IV - for having faith in gamers' tastes.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Rome TW

Medevial II TW

Icewind Dale

In that order, hands down!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was wondering, has Jeremy Soule produced anything decent since Icewind Dale?

Some liked Supreme Commander and Guild Wars (e.g. http://www.gsoundtracks.com/reviews/supremecommander.htm, you'll find other Soule-Reviews there).

Funny that someone mentioned Quest for Glory, I had almost forgotten that :thumbsup: I loved the QfG V-Soundtrack.

My favourite has to be PS: T, followed by IWD1 (while IWD2 was a... sad sounding piece of software), Vampire: Bloodlines (Goth meets TripHop - totally great) and Total Annihilation. Also, BG1 and certain parts of BG2 as well as some of the Battlemusic in Etherlords1 just engraved their melodies in my head.

[edit]

How could I foget Zelda: Ocarina of time? The only console-game I've ever played through (on a borrowd N64). I was humming some of the tunes for months afterwards :)

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

"I was wondering, has Jeremy Soule produced anything decent since Icewind Dale?"

You don't think the NWN/NWN2 music is at *least* decent?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NWN2's new musics are good.

I never liked any of original NWN's music.

Well, apart from HotU tracks and maybe main theme. Everything else was meh

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I remember liking one track in the original NWN, the battle theme that played when you fought the Forest Spirit in Neverwinter Wood.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds