Problems with Intel 945GM :(

I know I have an integrated graphics card, and it's not entirely shocking to see KOTOR II not working on it.

What I am experiencing is apparently quite common; though, my search for a possible solution has been in vain.

From what I see, it seems that KOTOR II has the same engine (Odyssey) as KOTOR I, thus I suspect that there is a solution that will get my KOTOR II working on my integrated graphics card, since I was able to play KOTOR I perfectly fine after updating drivers.

Things I have tried:

1) Updated video drivers. (Which was how I got my KOTOR I working)

2) Reboot and terminate any unnecessary programs before running KOTOR II (yielding more CPU and RAM available for my integrated graphics to steal resources from)

3) Adding "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" under [Graphics Option] in swkotor2.ini

4) Use 3D-Analyze to launch the game, which all the Hardware Limits emulated (esp. hardware T&L).

Although Intel 945GM lacks hardware T&L, having a duo core 1.66ghz, and about 1.6GB of free RAM available for KOTOR II to run, I think it should be adequate. If there is anything else I can try to make KOTOR II run, please let me know. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Here is my DxDiag:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 6/1/2007, 13:25:11

Machine name: HOTCOFFEE

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: MM061

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A14

Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1014MB RAM

Page File: 365MB used, 2074MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® GMA 950

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2&SUBSYS_01BD1028&REV_03

Display Memory: 224.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Driver Name: igxprd32.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4814 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 3/30/2007 21:33:56, 57344 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: igxpmp32.sys

Mini VDD Date: 3/30/2007 21:34:14, 5704672 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-64E2-11CF-5661-B721A2C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x27A2

SubSys ID: 0x01BD1028

Revision ID: 0x0003

Revision ID: 0x0003

Video Accel:

Deinterlace Caps: n/a

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Not Available

DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

Edited by jikman

That card only uses OpenGL up to 1.3 if I remember correctly. KotOR 2 requires 1.4 minimum.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Hmmm... I don't know then. I don't mess with Intel stuff because they are often low quality and crappy. Does your board use shared memory for its video card processing? If it does, that could be the main source of your problem. KotOR2, and neither does NWN2 by the way, absolutely will not work with shared memory.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yeah, it's definitely shared.

The strange thing is, it worked fine in KOTOR I with High quality, 1024 x 768, shadows, grass, etc. It just stumps me that it gives me that "blank screen after starting movie" problem. I feel that there must be an easy solution to just get it running.

• 1 year later...

Star Wars*: Knights of the Old Republic* game displays a black screen when loading or it minimizes to the taskbar, with no means to restore it.

error: "SWKotOR Scan Results. Game Requirements Not Met. You current hardware configuration does not meet the game's required specifications."

Details information shows: "Video Failed...Graphics Required: 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required....OpenGL Failed...Required: Non-Windows Generic OpenGL 1.4.0 drivers"

Menus show in the wrong location of the screen.

Blocky areas sporadically appear during the game.

Solution:

Use the latest Intel

• 4 weeks later...
Star Wars*: Knights of the Old Republic* game displays a black screen when loading or it minimizes to the taskbar, with no means to restore it.

error: "SWKotOR Scan Results. Game Requirements Not Met. You current hardware configuration does not meet the game's required specifications."

Details information shows: "Video Failed...Graphics Required: 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required....OpenGL Failed...Required: Non-Windows Generic OpenGL 1.4.0 drivers"

Menus show in the wrong location of the screen.

Blocky areas sporadically appear during the game.

Solution:

Use the latest Intel

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with my graphics card. Trying to run Kotor 2 on my Dell Latitude D420 which has Intel 945 GM Express grafx card on it. RAM should be enough (1.5GB). I've installed the patch 1.0b, tried to run the game using 3D Analyzer and disabled movies. Yet the problem is still the same (crashed after intro movie). Has anyone figured out a solution for this? I'm getting desperate here. HELP !!!!

Regards,

Gerd

Hi Nightshade,

Here's the rest of my specs (from Scan Hardware)

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=2046

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=1197

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=14

CPUStepping=12

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core Duo CPU U2500 @ 1.20GHz

Status=Warning

[Memory]

RAM=1528

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=16.39GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=

[Video]

Video Card Name=Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family

Video Memory=256

Desktop Resolution=1280x800x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.4814

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel 945GM

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=SigmaTel Audio

Status=Pass

I've downloaded and installed the latest graphics driver from Dell as well. Thanks.

Regards,

Gerd

I've got a Dell D820 laptop that uses the very same graphics card, 1.8 GHz core duo, 1 GB of RAM etc and I don't have any major problems running either game (...apart from sith armours looking white instead of shiny, all blades looking semi-transparent at time and having to lower game specs for certain areas).

I did, however, experience the 'black-out' hang after the intro movie for TSL when I installed the game with a no-cd 'patch' and used a mounted .iso copy of my play disc with daemon tools (original was too scratched). It worked fine when I reinstalled and got a new play CD. Make sure you turn off all such apps, maybe it's something in the background that's causing the mess.

Hello,

Yes, I tried setting the affinity of the CPU to either 0 or 1 but still getting the same result. As for background processes, which ones should I look out for? I've turned off my anti virus program but there are some other things still running such as Dell QuickSet, AppleMobileDevice and other Dell stuff. Maybe it doesn't work with the no CD patch? Thanks guys.

Regards,

Gerd