RPG System of choice

Darque

On this our minds are not in conflict, bonded one.

That's not bonding. That's orange squash gone sticky from when you spilled it earlier.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I like the D&D system, though I am also pretty familiar with it on the AD&D 1st/2nd Ed rules, with house rules modifications. However, my system of choice is a self created kludge with hybridized (I have created a monster, mwuah hah hah hah hah haaaaH!) portions of Traveller, O.G.R.E. and Nuclear War (and the Escalation add-on.)

I would like to add, however, that I took the OPs mention of a system as something slightly different originally than what I have read so far. I got that (and it's most likely just me) you were talking about the type of system as opposed to a specifically named system. In this, I like to play an open system running a rules set that comprises most of the physical actions available in a charts/table matrix, a mixed Classed and Open Skills based system, with a d100, d20 series of action success/failure rolls.

I created such a system *(though it basically requires a stepped approach to learning it) for several reasons. I really prefer to design as opposed to play these days and I desired to create a system that would allow someone to Roleplay or Rollplay as they saw fit, as well as having a system that would allow wargamers and roleplayers to join together and engage in the same overall system.

Yeah, it's complex, but, as I said, it is meant to be approached in small steps and the angle of attack varies with the experience of the individual. In all point of fact, if you've never roleplayed and only played CCGs, there's a method to introduce you to the system.

The actual roleplaying portion of the system is something of a Traveller/AD&D hybrid for skills, classes, options and checks of all kinds. The wargaming section is meant to be something along the lines of Storm Over Europe mixed with the Star Lancers Board Wargaming for Traveller (I have only played the Sword Worlds, but man that was fun) with a small dose of the early iterations of the Star Trek games.

Did I mention that I picked and borrowed from just about everywhere?

Of course, it's my system of choice, because I designed it and shaped it from out of the aether. One day, within the next few years, I might actually get a chance to playtest it.

As far as the other systems placed in this thread, Call of Cthulu is something that I always lilked, as well as Paranoia as always being a fun fest for the above reasons cited. CoC was fun, because, sooner or later, your character was going to go insane -- limited longevity sort of gives it a boost to playing -- how long can you last, basically?

So, that's me. Hey Volourn, how's it hangin' man?

regards,

dunniteowl

In all seriousness lies all lies, half truths, death, misery and the great suffering of the worlds. Embrace your seriousness, then poke it in the eye, push it down and give it a good swift kick. And in all seriousness, if you take me seriously, you're going to definitely regret it. 'Cause I'm just kidding, baby, yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

BRP all the way :thumbsup: Particulary the version from Elric/Stormbringer5. I'm currently trying to fit it into SF setting using CoC and Ringworld as guidelines, because I want to run Transhuman Space with it. But I'm lazy so I will propably just wait for Mongoose's SpaceQuest and standalone BRP book and use those :)

Guest Jy Kon Star

I was always fond of the D6 system for Star Wars because I always thought it better repersented the use of the force then the D20 system. plus I like the D10 system for Vampier the Requim/Masqurad & the for ever envases on don't let the dice rolling get in the way of the story...

• 1 month later...

I use the AD&D system, a combination of 1e and 2e rules, but with my own specific modifications. It still works fine for me, and always has. I do not consider 3e to be an update of an old game, but a different game entirely. The game I knew and loved is dead, but that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy it and play it with my own group as I see fit.

The White Wolf system never really clicked with me well; it just seemed too simplistic for my tastes. GURPS had a lot of cool stuff in it, but was also painfully silly and inflexible in some areas. I like what I've seen of Palladium and Rifts, but I haven't played either. I'm also really fond of the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. I'd like to play Role Master as well, if I ever got the chance. I'm a real detail freak.

Edited by Deinonychus

Oui, c'est la gare.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oui, c'est la gare.

Liberate te ex inferis.

Good thing for used bookstores, old game rule nooks can be found there.

Damn you francophobes. I was misquoting. What I wrote sounds like 'guerre' as in war. But I wrote 'gare' as in train station. Oh never mind. :(

-Elwood Blues

:(

It can also be a taxi station, or a bus station, anything travel related.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 3 weeks later...

My group tends to go with DnD 3.5e. At least, that's what we've mostly focused on. It was our introduction to "real" PnP roleplaying, so...

We've also dabbled in nWoD. Werewolf: The Forsaken, in particular. From what I've read about oWoD, I think I actually prefer nWoD in everything except Werewolf. I know I definitely prefer Requiem to Masquerade, though I do miss some of the variety in kinships.

Or in Vampire:

C'est magnifique, mais c'est ne pas la garou.

-Elwood Blues

• 3 weeks later...

Long time since I posted in these forums, but since no one else brought it up, I want to mention GURPS here. I love the character point system, the various advantages, the various setting books, but my favorite part of it is certainly the skill system.

I don't know any rpg that offers support for as many types of action as GURPS does. And good part of it is in the big skill list, which gives various rules of how different talents can be used. From tactics to photography, from biochemistry to mathematics, the skill system offers many different abilities, suggesting many different types of character, and allowing for many play styles.

The system is obviously not without faults. For example, I have yet to see anyone using math skills for anything other than pre-requisite for some science skill (which would allow the character to design their own inventions, among other things). However, Even skills that don't have much use by themselves by default can be put into play by a clever GM.

I don't use signatures... but I like contradictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'm quite fond of the Storyteller system (used in World of Darkness). I find it the best for basic character building (it doesn't take too long) and it's an easy system to use. The club I play at often spurns game on principle if they use D20 (which I don't agree with, although it is often a cumbersome system). I'm also a fan of the Unisystem.

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient, be sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me

• 4 weeks later...
The system is obviously not without faults. For example, I have yet to see anyone using math skills for anything other than pre-requisite for some science skill (which would allow the character to design their own inventions, among other things). However, Even skills that don't have much use by themselves by default can be put into play by a clever GM.

I could see math being used given the right puzzles, like novel cryptography, or that bit in the film Cube.

-Elwood Blues